PDA

View Full Version : What time is it at the forum?

bwhhisc
5th July 2006, 10:52 PM
Wondering if there is a way to have a current "time" (in addition to date) on the home page of IDNF off which to base auction ending times etc. If this function is there, can someone point it out. Thanks.

alpha
5th July 2006, 10:56 PM
Wondering if there is a way to have a current "time" (in addition to date) on the home page of IDNF off which to base auction ending times etc. If this function is there, can someone point it out. Thanks.

auctions usually end "24 hours after last bid"

the reason why a time isn't specified is what time zone would you use?

Even if time was shown on the homepage in your timezone, it's unlikely to be the same timezone as the auction.

am i missing something? :confused:

thefabfive
5th July 2006, 10:56 PM
I think the current method is the way to go. The post times are displayed in your local time (whatever timezone you set on your control panel). If auctions end 24 hours after last bid it would be easy to figure out and relate to your time. If we used a "standard" forum time you would need to convert it your time to determine when an auction ends.

I wouldn't be opposed to having a clock next to the welcome statement showing your local time. Maybe under 'private messages' on the top right of the screen.

idn
5th July 2006, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to having a clock next to the welcome statement showing your local time.

You have one, lower right corner of your screen! :)

thefabfive
5th July 2006, 11:05 PM
That's true! I change my vote to leave things the way they are. :)

mulligan
5th July 2006, 11:09 PM
There is a comprehensive calander you all have access to that can remind you of anything you need to be reminded of -- Wifes birthday -- Where you left the car -- Your name, sex and age if necessary....

Olney
5th July 2006, 11:18 PM
Current time for me & most members are really hours to half a day apart.
I think putting things on Tokyo time would really screw things up.
The timestamp on every post is in people's local time & every computer has a clock on it with that current time..

Tokyo is 13 hours ahead of US EST (Eastern Standard Time)

Do you guys really want this to become the time you have to try to calculate & figure out?

bwhhisc
6th July 2006, 12:18 AM
auctions usually end "24 hours after last bid"
the reason why a time isn't specified is what time zone would you use?
Even if time was shown on the homepage in your timezone, it's unlikely to be the same timezone as the auction. m i missing something? :confused:

For me, then its easy to + or - from the forum time based on first bid, last bid etc. With time for posts in "sellers" time you just have to do you math I guess. Just hoping it was easier than that. If forum is on GMT then, can posts be synchronized to that then its easy to figure out when auctions end. I am not the only one who has missed rebids etc. I can deal with it as is, just seems there is an easier way.

Oh...on my computer screen. I thought you meant on the forum home page.

Do you guys really want this to become the time you have to try to calculate & figure out?

You don't have to change anything, there are some post of auctions that end "24 hours after first bid", or even a few that were "24 hours after post" which can lead to an EBAY bid slam in the final 60 seconds.

Olney
6th July 2006, 12:23 AM
I actually don't remember what the default time is because I assumed members will set it to their local time.

You can set it in your control panel
under edit options...

bwhhisc
6th July 2006, 12:26 AM
I actually don't remember what the default time is because I assumed members will set it to their local time. You can set it in your control panel
under edit options...

No problem...did not mean to stir up anything.