PDA

View Full Version : Traffic to portugese .com

gammascalper
6th July 2006, 05:58 PM
Anyone seeing bits of traffic to portugese .com IDN?

It seems that .com.br and .org.br have a lock on the market. Is it worth the effort to mine for terms?

Explorer
6th July 2006, 06:00 PM

It seems that .com.br and .org.br have a lock on the market. Is it worth the effort to mine for terms?

.com.br does not support IDNs or started supporting only recently, as far as I know. Plus, it's always easier to type in idn.com than idn.com.br. So, I think it's a good idea. Plus, the language is in the top 10.

idn
6th July 2006, 06:02 PM

yes, it makes sense to me, after all, .com is the short version of .com.br and the word itself will take care of the previously needed .br part. Just my two cents. Don't forget about Portugal!

blastfromthepast
6th July 2006, 06:04 PM
yes, it makes sense to me, after all, .com is the short version of .com.br and the word itself will take care of the previously needed .br part. Just my two cents. Don't forget about Portugal!

Some traffic, esp. if you grab the IDN version of sites that are in .com.br, people seem to want to type in .com rather than .com.br :rolleyes:

idn
6th July 2006, 06:05 PM
I am getting some nice 25 cent clicks on some of the portuguese .coms.

gammascalper
6th July 2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks... good points.

And heartening to hear there's some traffic to .com. That gives me a little more incentive to mine for terms, although superficially it looks like I'm way too late.

thefabfive
6th July 2006, 06:20 PM
I also see some trickle of traffic to Portuguese domains. There are still some terms out there - the landscape is not as barren as Spanish - but they're disappearing quickly.

touchring
6th July 2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks... good points.

And heartening to hear there's some traffic to .com. That gives me a little more incentive to mine for terms, although superficially it looks like I'm way too late.

It seems to me that Portuguese is better than Brazilian Portuguese - use Google trends to check traffic origins. .com.br is too mighty in Brazil.

My finance.com, which is an incredible domain in other languages earns only 3 bucks a month!

gammascalper
6th July 2006, 06:37 PM
Do Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese Portuguese differ greatly?

If so, are there separate translators/dictionaries for them?

In my first pass I saw many of your Whois already :p

You can humor me while I dig up the dregs!

touchring
6th July 2006, 06:52 PM
Do Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese Portuguese differ greatly?

If so, are there separate translators/dictionaries for them?

In my first pass I saw many of your Whois already :p

You can humor me while I dig up the dregs!

Well, i'm not sure if there are different dictionaries - Jose can best answer this question. But Google trends does show that even for words that are used in both places, the popularity can differ - google.com/trends?q=finan%C3%A7as+

Explorer
6th July 2006, 06:58 PM
My finance.com, which is an incredible domain in other languages earns only 3 bucks a month!

I agree. Even one of my names with 1MM OVT is not performing well. Yet.

burnsinternet
6th July 2006, 07:16 PM
I agree. Even one of my names with 1MM OVT is not performing well. Yet.

Same here. Great names, great overture, little traffic. Good CTR, though.

domainstosell
6th July 2006, 07:46 PM
There are still some good single words out there. Not much as far as high-paying keywords, but still one-word generics. I got:

cabeça.com - Head

a couple of weeks ago, and yesterday, I picked up:

pássaro.com - Bird

and

pescoço.com - Neck

bricio
9th May 2007, 10:34 PM
im brazilian... if u need a help w/ translations, just PM me
regards,
bricio

P.S.: if im not worng ive read some months ago about words with letters ç (like "pescoço" -> neck in english), "espírito" (spirit in english), "pássaro" (bird in english) and so and here in brazil, www.registro.br (our registrar) sent a note that said that the owner of www.passaro.com.br (for example) that could be the only one who reg www.pássaro.com.br (w/ accent). Check this information, please!!!

Drewbert
10th May 2007, 03:32 AM
Yes. I'm pretty sure that in com.br the owner of the ASCII version is automatically assigned the "correct" IDN version of their domain.

burnsinternet
10th May 2007, 03:36 AM
Entrenches the existing domainer power structure. Not fair. Unjust.

My Portuguese domains don't get much traffic anyway, compared to French and Spanish.

brianluedke
10th May 2007, 10:23 AM
I registered moçambicano.com (Mozambican in Portuguese), but I also have the ASCII version. There are still a lot of Portuguese names out there.

touchring
10th May 2007, 10:59 AM
Entrenches the existing domainer power structure. Not fair. Unjust.

My Portuguese domains don't get much traffic anyway, compared to French and Spanish.

Only names with Portgual traffic will do well. Those targeted at Brazil will do very badly.

Explorer
10th May 2007, 12:11 PM
edited

grevan
19th November 2007, 09:59 PM
Hello everyone, i know this topic is old, but i´m new here and i thought i could say hello.:)
Well, the problem with brazillian traffic is that brazillians are used to type .com.br, even if a site is .com they would go for the com.br first.
Cheers.

yanni
19th November 2007, 10:22 PM
Hello everyone, i know this topic is old, but i´m new here and i thought i could say hello.:)
Well, the problem with brazillian traffic is that brazillians are used to type .com.br, even if a site is .com they would go for the com.br first.
Cheers.

Hi Grevan,

Yep, we've figured it out already.

Brasil is just one example why some idns will perform better with the cctld.

L@@K
20th November 2007, 12:10 AM
Hello everyone, i know this topic is old, but i´m new here and i thought i could say hello.
Cheers.

Hello grevan & wellcome aboard ! :)
Reading your post I suppose you're brazilian.
So, what do you think about br.com please?
I've got one of the best term in ascii.br.com (=> several visits for the price, but few for the parking... :p )
It was (it is) a bet, so we will see but I would be interested by your opinion.
Plus, what do you think also about idn.tv for brazilian market please ?
See U,
L@@K

gari
20th November 2007, 07:19 PM
Hi All,
Traffic to my Portugese/Brazillian is climbing steady and the CTR is a lot better than most. It all depends on your idn's, me i have a lot of place names.
Regards
Gari

idn
8th February 2008, 06:49 PM
Is anyone actually receiving traffic from their Portuguese idns? I do not mean 20 visitors a month. I am about ready to drop most of mine. Comments appreciated.

jose
8th February 2008, 07:40 PM
I do. Send them this way before dropping, thanks.

Charrua
8th February 2008, 07:58 PM
Is anyone actually receiving traffic from their Portuguese idns? I do not mean 20 visitors a month. I am about ready to drop most of mine. Comments appreciated.

I don't know what to say i have leilões.net = auctions.net and i sold it for € 1.000 it is fine i don't expect lots of traffic right now for any IDN but that sell help me to keep other IDNs i just wait, if you see the traffic is nothing but i think it was a good sell for that language and at this time.

http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=leiloesvd4.jpg

At the same time you have here traduçao.com and is getting a little more traffic every 2 month and is a Portuguese typo i have receive offers in the middle $ Xxx.

http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=traducaomh2.jpg

Drewbert
8th February 2008, 08:30 PM
I'm getting traffic but nothing spectacular which is understandable considering the strength of .com.br. and that ccTLD's policy of automatically assigning the IDN version of names to the owner of the ASCII typo.

grevan
12th May 2008, 11:00 PM
Hi Charrua.
Don´t know if you wrote it right, but the right word for translation is "tradução" not "traduçao".

Cheers,
Daniel

tonecas
5th September 2009, 05:37 PM
following up on this thread because i feel there is a lack of a portuguese domainers community.

there are many words and terms available as reg fee when it comes to pure US-ASCII domains. of course, the best ones are already taken but there are many generics and great two words domains available for register. The problem is, there is still no market for them and the PPCs are low. This is because the portuguese speaking language market is still very fragil, with low buying power, but things are changing fast. Also, the biggest market, Brazil, is still very .com.br minded.

as a simple experiment, pick a portuguese document like from a major online newspaper like www.publico.pt (http://www.publico.pt) or the columns of one of the most demolisher opinon maker in Portugal Miguel Sousa Tavares ("http://aeiou.expresso.pt/miguel-sousa-tavares=s23491) and make some searches on the words that appear. if you have an automated tool better yet.

regarding portuguese form Portugal and portuguese from Brazil there are many differences, specially when it comes to jargon, but in general most of the words are the same and everyone can understand each other (portugueses however are more easy in understanding brasilians because the portuguese from Brazil has more open vowels).

also, there is finaly an agreement to make some words and rules that used to differ being written the same. however this represents less than 3% (i think) of the language. one of the most important modifications is the drop of the letter "c" in words were this letter is actual not spoken that in portuguese from Portugal is very used, for instance, when connecting to "ção" like acção (=stock, action) or colecção (=colection).

finally, portuguese languages/versions are not only Portugal and Brazil. There is Angola that is getting more notice in the world, Mozambique and others. Those countries are more close to the portuguese from Portugal version than form the Brazil version.

As a final note, Brazil has the most portuguese speakers and it will be natural that it will push the portuguese languages to their version has they have one of the biggest consumer market to explore (see BRICs).

i reg this week one of my first IDNs: câncer.com. it was a lucky shot because it seems a very interesting word (means cancer as in cancer disease and as in zodiac sign. in portuguese from Portugal, cancer is translated to "cancro" and the zodiac sign is "caranguejo")

regards,
tonecas

phio
5th September 2009, 06:22 PM
Welcome Tonecas! Looks like you are jumping right into IDNs. Right now, my portuguese IDNs are getting a little traffic and they are earning a little money.

As more people in Portugal and Brazil shop online, the PPC value will continue to rise.

Also we do have some experts with Portuguese on the forum, and one of them is Jose. He developed an excellent tool for checking an IDNs value: idn.bz - use other tools too, like google keywords etc.

Good Luck,

Phio

tonecas
5th September 2009, 06:52 PM
thank you Phio ;)

as for the Jose's idn.biz it seems really great!

i've been making scripts and tools for helping my "normal domains" activity but i'm very lazy and until know i haven't got the courage to build a tool to verify all those things that i do by hand. lot's of APIs to integrate and screen scrapping to do :p

and with IDNs things get more complicated because of the different languages and bad translations.

anyway, this community seems great!

regards,
tonecas

blackpower
19th February 2012, 11:35 AM
Cheers.

No, you're far from being late. Awesome names still available. Brazilians are still in the stone age as far as idns

sarcle
19th February 2012, 02:52 PM
Brazilians are still in the stone age as far as idns

Know of any country that isn't? The biggest demand in the aftermarket I see are Germanese. Other than that, not much in the aftermarket as far as sales. IDN anywhere aren't exactly flying off the shelves for end-user development.

Just wanted to add. This thread is several years old. You may want to ask them how their traffic is doing now.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

blackpower
19th February 2012, 03:48 PM
BTW, welcome to the forums.

Thank you Sarcle, appreciate it.
As far as Brazilians, their domain market is virtually non-existent and due to (perhaps) excess of sunshine, en masse they are very notoriously slow and relaxed. Still many opportunities in idns which now ultrapass by far their ascii similars and in general, generate increasing traffic (for exemple, one of my Portuguese idn made $325.00 in a month and a bunch make $200+/year)
Also, several big sales last year (I'll post separately)
In a nutshell, many positive developments

squirrel
19th February 2012, 04:19 PM
Still many opportunities in idns which now ultrapass by far their ascii similars and in general, generate increasing traffic (for exemple, one of my Portuguese idn made $325.00 in a month and a bunch make $200+/year)

Just to clarify, are you talking IDN.com or IDN.com.br ?

squirrel
19th February 2012, 04:28 PM
.com

I see what kind of names your referring to. Cool of you to start posting here. Cheers.

blackpower
19th February 2012, 04:30 PM
Just to clarify, are you talking IDN.com or IDN.com.br ?

Idns, .com
com.br is wiped out and very expensive on aftermarket, although still there are no big sales and this is a reason they more and more look for .com

jose
19th February 2012, 04:54 PM
Idns, .com
com.br is wiped out and very expensive on aftermarket, although still there are no big sales and this is a reason they more and more look for .com

Hello there. Welcome on board. Do you speak Portuguese?

blackpower
19th February 2012, 04:57 PM
Hello there. Welcome on board. Do you speak Portuguese?

Hello, Jose and thanks. i do speak some (brasilian :) ) but understand a lot

bwhhisc
19th February 2012, 06:28 PM
Idns, .com

where do they sell them at?

blackpower
19th February 2012, 06:39 PM
where do they sell them at?

there is no one place yet really, but there are sales. i'll post biggest ones in the next couple of days. Also, there are some interesting developments such as:
biggest ticket seller online was ingressorapido .com.br until now. Hoje there is a big competitor, which advertise on .com ingressos .com (they also have com.br)
And many others

bwhhisc
20th February 2012, 12:03 AM
there is no one place yet really, but there are sales. i'll post biggest ones in the next couple of days. Also, there are some interesting developments such as:
biggest ticket seller online was ingressorapido .com.br until now. Hoje there is a big competitor, which advertise on .com ingressos .com (they also have com.br)
And many others

Doesn't seem the Spanish, Portuguese or French has embraced the "idn" versions of proper spelling or grammer to much extent.

Drewbert
20th February 2012, 12:31 AM
Spanish domains with ñ in them go well because it's a separate letter to n and also appears on spanish keyboards. :)

Not sure if the same applies to õ

jose
20th February 2012, 01:14 AM
Same goes for ç in Portuguese.

bumblebee man
20th February 2012, 05:58 AM
Idns, .com
com.br is wiped out and very expensive on aftermarket, although still there are no big sales
I remember Imoveis.com.br for 300k. Great to see .com grow in Brasil. Care to post your revenue names?

blackpower
20th February 2012, 06:36 AM
I remember Imoveis.com.br for 300k. Great to see .com grow in Brasil. Care to post your revenue names?
Are several:
The best producing month to month is
Alianças.com Wedding Rings

Rossin
7th March 2012, 07:26 PM
Thank you Sarcle, appreciate it.
As far as Brazilians, their domain market is virtually non-existent and due to (perhaps) excess of sunshine, en masse they are very notoriously slow and relaxed. Still many opportunities in idns which now ultrapass by far their ascii similars and in general, generate increasing traffic (for exemple, one of my Portuguese idn made $325.00 in a month and a bunch make $200+/year)

Are we brazilians notoriously slow and relaxed?? OMG, No way!
We work very, very hard!

Do you know we are the 6th largest economy in the world? We overtaked UK last year. This is the result of hard work, my friend.

Do we know how to be happy and enjoy life? SURE! Our country is amazing! So, yes, we go to the beaches. On the weekends. :cool:

Yes, there are a lot of good opportunities in portuguese_idn.com because most of us use .com.br domains. I still believe in portuguese_idn.com domains - I think they will be very valuable on the next 5 years.

About alianças.com (WeddingRings.com in portuguese): GREAT domain you have. Congratulations! I told you that last year.

Note: we know each other, BlackPower. I did not expect that "notoriously slow and relaxed" from you, man.

blackpower
7th March 2012, 07:39 PM
We work very, very hard!

Do you know we are the 6th largest economy in the world? We overtaked UK last year. This is the result of hard work, my friend.

Do we know how to be happy and enjoy life? SURE! Our country is amazing! So, yes, we go to the beaches. On the weekends. :cool:

Yes, there are a lot of good opportunities in portuguese_idn.com because most of us use .com.br domains. I still believe in portuguese_idn.com domains - I think they will be very valuable on the next 5 years.

About alianças.com (WeddingRings.com in portuguese): GREAT domain you have. Congratulations! Do you have more top generics?

Rossin, I did not mean it in a bad way, just in case.
I think Brasil has a great future; due to proximity to US it will see a lot of american business. It has a very stable political system and great geo location.
I kind of follow what is going on there (especially Financial markets, Real Estate) and I am amazed at how fast progress it makes...
How do you like these generics, I'd like you to tell if they are good since portuguese in Brasil is a bit different from what I learned;
Agência .com (Agency)
Imóveis .net (Real Estate or Properties)
Imóvel .com (Real Estate or Property)
SãoPaulo .net (São Paulo)
Saldão .com (Sale)
Mobília .com (Furniture)
Armações .com ( Frames)
Galpão .com (Warehouse)
Alianças .com (Wedding Rings)
Veículo .com (Car)
SeguroAuto .com (Auto Insurance)
Segurança .com (Security)
Condomínios .com (Condos)
Preços .com (Prices)
Aluguéis .com (Rentals)
Bem-Estar .com (Wellbeing, welfare)
Cartão .com (Card)
-Concessionária .com (Car Dealer)
-Concessionárias .com (Car Dealers)
-Consórcio .com (Partnership)
-Consórcios .com (Partnerships)
BTW, .com/net will become very popular and very soon since com.br 1)most good domains are being held and 2) many great domains cannot be registered in com.br

Rossin
7th March 2012, 07:46 PM
BlackPower, it´s ok! I understood.

You have great generics, as I told you. There´re gems!

All the domains on the list are in great brazilian portuguese, don´t worry about that! You did an excellent job.

Regards!

sarcle
7th March 2012, 07:55 PM
BTW, .com/net will become very popular and very soon since com.br 1)most good domains are being held and 2) many great domains cannot be registered in com.br

I'd venture to say they already are. I looked at some of my earlier domains even .orgs have a GAKT score with the extension.

I even found a domain with 480 GAKT with extension since you've renewed this thread, and it gets traffic. Thanks!

blackpower
7th March 2012, 08:16 PM
I'd venture to say they already are. I looked at some of my earlier domains even .orgs have a GAKT score with the extension.

I even found a domain with 480 GAKT with extension since you've renewed this thread, and it gets traffic. Thanks!

It helps other than .com.br extentions in Brazil that
1) com.br although being most popular, still cannot accomodate all and due to strange registration rules in Brazil, many keyword com.br registrants after 2001 have to compete with others for the same domain and as result , good keywords cannot be registered. Besides, many keywords are arbitrarily held (reserved) by National registry.
2).net in Portuguese (I thinkk) has hint of something "online" and therefore many very popular sites use .net
A big company would still want .com/.com.br for address, otherwise .net is fine (although second to .com/com.br) and in some cases it can be even purposly distinguishable for marketing purposes
3) .com is still a shorter of .com.br. Many new advertising venturs/companies prefer to have both and advertise .com
I wonder when domain market appears in Brazil, I think the country is ripe for that

blackpower
7th March 2012, 09:02 PM
Note: we know each other, BlackPower. I did not expect that "notoriously slow and relaxed" from you, man.

Rossin,
I already said i did not mean any ill. Nobody believes in Brazil/brasilians more than myself, my portfolio is 95% brazilian Portuguese.

jose
7th March 2012, 09:13 PM
Saravá meus caros amigos.

IDNCowboy
8th March 2012, 02:29 AM
Are several:
The best producing month to month is
Alianças.com Wedding Rings

How much traffic/revenue are you getting a month? nice name

blackpower
8th March 2012, 02:40 AM
How much traffic/revenue are you getting a month? nice name

I frankly gave up on Sedo and don't even bother anymore with how much they pay ppc. traffic to this one is most constant, 20-25 uniques /day lately, ctr is higher than 50%. Nothing spectacular... Needs to be developed but punicod in url does not help... As soon as this is resolved, the development for many names can start. But lately I got few ascii versions on my better idns, so logically thinking that it's may be time

Keldon
8th March 2012, 04:49 PM
We work very, very hard!...........

I've never seen any lazy Brazilians. I've been to Brazil quite a few times, have lots of Brazilian friends, my wife is Brazilian, and I never noticed that. :)

I think there is always a notion that all of Latin America is "lazy", meaning more slow-moving than actually lazy.

In my experience, Brazilians are the smartest, most industrious of all Latin Americans

Keldon
8th March 2012, 04:54 PM
Agência .com (Agency)
Imóveis .net (Real Estate or Properties)
Imóvel .com (Real Estate or Property)
SãoPaulo .net (São Paulo)
Saldão .com (Sale)
Mobília .com (Furniture)
Armações .com ( Frames)
Galpão .com (Warehouse)
Alianças .com (Wedding Rings)
Veículo .com (Car)
SeguroAuto .com (Auto Insurance)
Segurança .com (Security)
Condomínios .com (Condos)
Preços .com (Prices)
Aluguéis .com (Rentals)
Bem-Estar .com (Wellbeing, welfare)
Cartão .com (Card)
-Concessionária .com (Car Dealer)
-Concessionárias .com (Car Dealers)
-Consórcio .com (Partnership)
-Consórcios .com (Partnerships)
Simply amazing, BlackPower !

Good for you.

jose
8th March 2012, 05:02 PM
Sold preços.net for 4 digits € one month ago.

Keldon
8th March 2012, 05:02 PM
I wonder when domain market appears in Brazil, I think the country is ripe for that
Blackpower, I have a good number of ASCII Brazilian language domains and I am starting to get a good number of inquiries, and have made a few sales as well, my best being almost 9K, having to do with "garotas" ;) .

I personally am seeing the market start to form for domains as many of these potential buyers are speculators themselves. The rest seem to be developers.

Also, I know lots of Brazilians and they are all mumbling at every party how they need to get their site going or get their biz Online, get a domain, etc.... and many are coming to me for advice, so I see the uptick in interest definitely.

I'll also add one thing to what you said, I know many Brazilians that are flush with cash. The Brazil economy has been good and they want to invest and Online will be one of the investment venues they will chose in the coming years.

I think there will be healthy market in two years or so, IMO.

blackpower
8th March 2012, 05:10 PM
Blackpower, I have a good number of ASCII Brazilian language domains and I am starting to get a good number of inquiries, and have made a few sales as well, my best being almost 9K, having to do with "garotas" ;) .

I personally am seeing the market start to form for domains as many of these potential buyers are speculators themselves. The rest seem to be developers.

Also, I know lots of Brazilians and they are all mumbling at every party how they need to get their site going or get their biz Online, get a domain, etc.... and many are coming to me for advice, so I see the uptick in interest definitely.

I'll also add one thing to what you said, I know many Brazilians that are flush with cash. The Brazil economy has been good and they want to invest and Online will be one of the investment venues they will chose in the coming years.

I think there will be healthy market in two years or so, IMO.
Keldon, thank you.
I am sure there is already a need for domain market in Brazil.
Economy in Brazil has enormous potential, free from uncertainces in other parts of the world.
p.s. garotas.tv is the only tv of mine that gets traffic

Keldon
8th March 2012, 05:16 PM
Keldon, thank you.
I am sure there is already a need for domain market in Brazil.
Economy in Brazil has enormous potential, free from uncertainces in other parts of the world.
p.s. garotas.tv is the only tv of mine that gets traffic
The only real problem I see with Brazil is inflation has kicked in in the last handful of years even though everyone is making more money, so if Brazil can keep that in check the future is crazy good! Brazil struggle with hyper-inflation from 1980 to 1994, hopefully those days are over.

Yes, .TV is really bad about not having traffic, even astoundingly good ones sometimes are ghost towns.

alpha
8th March 2012, 06:11 PM
I'm a fan of the brazilian, never imagined a thread dedicated to the topic though. No pics though??.

Posted from mobile device.

Drewbert
10th March 2012, 08:03 PM
Groan.