PDA

View Full Version : IDN'S are Bullshi#!

bwhhisc
19th January 2006, 01:10 AM
I am getting bruises and treadmarks spreading the IDN gospel. Sure glad I don't have to go door-to-door doing this! Above (post title) was another response from one of our US domainer friends!

How hard is it for ANYONE to grasp the basic principle of IDN's......"to create a system for people of all nations to enter domain names in their normal script or language system".

Or are we all missing something here?? This negativity by otherwise smart domainers towards the possible success of the IDN system makes you re-think the entire process and system. What is so hard for otherwise intelligent people to grasp about the IDN system... I am stumped!

sarcle
19th January 2006, 01:22 AM
Got a url? I'd love to visit.

idnowner
19th January 2006, 01:23 AM
I am getting bruises and treadmarks spreading the IDN gospel. Sure glad I don't have to go door-to-door doing this! Above (post title) was another response from one of our US domainer friends!

How hard is it for ANYONE to grasp the basic principle of IDN's......"to create a system for people of all nations to enter domain names in their normal script or language system".

Or are we all missing something here?? This negativity by otherwise smart domainers towards the possible success of the IDN system makes you re-think the entire process and system. What is so hard for otherwise intelligent people to grasp about the IDN system... I am stumped!

Perhaps they don't want to think or believe that they may have missed their last huge opportunity on the Internet.

sarcle
19th January 2006, 01:28 AM
Eurocentrism is a very real, very alive, beast.

bwhhisc
19th January 2006, 01:38 AM
No URL- this one came from a friend that does website design work for us. I was engaging him to get some interest. I am stumped at people that are just not open minded. I will however, take pleasure in shipping him a big crow dressed for dinner real soon!

g
19th January 2006, 01:41 AM
it took me more than a year to believe in IDNs :)

but I didn't miss a lot . Because top domains are taken since 2000

if we consider 2000 for IDNs as 1985 for english names

I think at 2010 ...you will start to see big sales and increase registrations .....etc

also domainsite will be the king in registrations rate

just my expectations ....or dreams :)

idnowner
19th January 2006, 01:47 AM
.....I will however, take pleasure in shipping him a big crow dressed for dinner real soon!

Instead of Crow, how about 北京鴨子

(BTW, that IDN is not taken)

bwhhisc
19th January 2006, 01:48 AM
What is so hard to grasp about the whole concept of IDN's...especially for those that have a good base of experience in TLD's.

Granted, THEY aren't going to use this system but the fact that billions of people that never will speak English will be able to remember url's in native languages is nothing short of a revolutionary idea? Is there something better or different around the corner?

gammascalper
19th January 2006, 02:31 AM
What is so hard to grasp about the whole concept of IDN's...especially for those that have a good base of experience in TLD's.

Granted, THEY aren't going to use this system but the fact that billions of people that never will speak English will be able to remember url's in native languages is nothing short of a revolutionary idea? Is there something better or different around the corner?

There's certainly nothing wrong with you bwhhisc.

I see the crew here as all living outside North America or with significant international experience. For the most part, the non-believers don't fall in this category.

The European domainers who haven't jumped on board have no excuse.

Olney
19th January 2006, 02:34 AM
Being American I am sad to say that the attitude is a very typical American way of thinking in general.
I think most American Minorities believe in the fact that one's own culture can play a certain role in your life. But Americans want to think that English is some grand royale luxury & people in China, Japan, France etc would love to function in English to show how smart & upperclass they are or something like this.

Since I too am an American Minority I don't think this way & realize it's common sense for a person to just function in their own language.
Black Americans, Chinese Americans, Spanish Americans... We know the deal....

This is not being Anti American but just a fact... You know how many people would know the importance of being bilingual if Pres. Bush actually admitted that he was bilingual in Spanish & English?

sarcle
19th January 2006, 03:03 AM
You know how many people would know the importance of being bilingual if Pres. Bush actually admitted that he was bilingual in Spanish & English?

I fail to see how this would be helpful for anyone of Spanish descent. Kidding. Sorry had to make a Bush joke. :p No but really.

idnowner
19th January 2006, 03:09 AM
I fail to see how this would be helpful for anyone of Spanish descent. Kidding. Sorry had to make a Bush joke. :p No but really.

Thank you SO MUCH Sarcle!!!

I just registered nobutreally.com!

What a great phrase!

sarcle
19th January 2006, 03:13 AM
Thank you SO MUCH Sarcle!!!

I just registered nobutreally.com!

What a great phrase!

You bastard. I used it first, I'm going to wipo you. No but really :p , nice grab, mean's I need to start looking up common phrases now.

idnowner
19th January 2006, 03:19 AM
You bastard. I used it first, I'm going to wipo you. No but really :p , nice grab, mean's I need to start looking up common phrases now.

You'll find that I've got all the good ones already!

sarcle
19th January 2006, 03:23 AM

Actually I got one a little while ago that does well. applyingforajob.com Need to keep up the hunt.

touchring
19th January 2006, 03:25 AM
There is certain truth in this bs claim. For as long as the IE used by the masses right now doesn't support IDN, it is bs.

sarcle
19th January 2006, 03:29 AM
There is certain truth in this bs claim. For as long as the IE used by the masses right now doesn't support IDN, it is bs.

Huh? Not following.

gammascalper
19th January 2006, 03:31 AM

I view the glass as half-full.

sarcle
19th January 2006, 03:32 AM
Oh, I gotcha the title. I thought you were referring to our domains? I was a little thrown.

gammascalper
19th January 2006, 03:33 AM

idnownerwabakadesu.com :-p

idnowner
19th January 2006, 03:38 AM
idnownerwabakadesu.com :-p

Okay, other than those at buydomains.com

bwhhisc
19th January 2006, 04:12 AM
What alternative is there to the IDN system as developed?

Reviewing the time it has taken from concept, to agreed standards, to international acceptance, it is inconceivable that the momentum could slow down at this point.

The photos of the Japanese .coms and .jps from the subway that Olney posted certainly are just a frontrunner to what will happen in an explosive fashion around the world.

touchring
19th January 2006, 04:23 AM
What alternative is there to the IDN system as developed?

Reviewing the time it has taken from concept, to agreed standards, to international acceptance, it is inconceivable that the momentum could slow down at this point.

The photos of the Japanese .coms and .jps from the subway that Olney posted certainly are just a frontrunner to what will happen in an explosive fashion around the world.

There's no alternative, but people have been waiting for 5 years (as idnowner has waited), and it's still status quo.

It's like stock investment, if you invest in a stock expecting some news to make it rise after just a few days/weeks, many times, it won't, although sometimes it does. People that really make money in stocks are medium to long term investors.

Even if Microsoft decides to withhold IDN from IE7 this year, it won't affect my current strategy, and i will still continue to register good idns.

bwhhisc
19th January 2006, 04:50 AM
The impact of IDN's will be the biggest fundamental change to the internet in 10 years. The "English speaking minority" will find themselves on the other side of the language barrier, not to their liking I assure you.

International business and the marketing that goes along with it is going to have to reinvent itself again. I am sure the Coca-Colas and McDonald's size companies are already preparing. There are many opportunties presented by the impact of IDN's which will unfold quickly.

Rubber Duck
20th January 2006, 12:15 PM
it took me more than a year to believe in IDNs :)

but I didn't miss a lot . Because top domains are taken since 2000

if we consider 2000 for IDNs as 1985 for english names

I think at 2010 ...you will start to see big sales and increase registrations .....etc

also domainsite will be the king in registrations rate

just my expectations ....or dreams :)

Don't know about you but I am into 5 Figures on sales now, and apart from housekeep operations, you can count my sales on two hands!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Rubber Duck
20th January 2006, 01:10 PM
The impact of IDN's will be the biggest fundamental change to the internet in 10 years. The "English speaking minority" will find themselves on the other side of the language barrier, not to their liking I assure you.

International business and the marketing that goes along with it is going to have to reinvent itself again. I am sure the Coca-Colas and McDonald's size companies are already preparing. There are many opportunties presented by the impact of IDN's which will unfold quickly.

Not sure about that. There is plenty of precident for large US corporates to be totally wrong footed. The US just cannot seem to see the road map. Take Pearl Harbour. Although, the US managed to dig themselves out of a hole on that one, it was typical of their ability to underestimate the opposition.

TQM was a US idea, but Japan got the benefit as the guy who was hauking it got kicked into the long grass in the States. That mistake is already responsible for much of the decimation that has been experienced by US Industry.

Not all the competition coming from the Far East is about lower labour costs! The US didn't expect to loose PC Manufacture! And they will soon be buying their Plasma TVs from China, and not outsourced American products either, but high quality authentic indigenous Chinese exports

Anyway from IDNers perspective it makes very little difference in the Medium Term. The big organisations of the future will use them, whether those are the large organisations of Today that you might expect to dominate the landscape of tomorrow, makes very difference. The Far East economy will go forward as a phrenetic pace, support by IDN Urls. The corporate dinosaurs will become extint. The more fleet footed organisation will take over, and most of them will probably be from the emerging economies of Asia.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Edwin
20th January 2006, 01:13 PM
Don't know about you but I am into 5 Figures on sales now, and apart from housekeep operations, you can count my sales on two hands!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Where are you finding the buyers? Any pointers?

Rubber Duck
20th January 2006, 01:23 PM
Where are you finding the buyers? Any pointers?

Its just individuals who know what they want and can track me down. I think it is probably a mixture of looking at Forum postings and Whois. Buyers I think are other speculators who think, that a 4 figure investment is going to make then 6 figures in 2 to 3 years.

The most recently secondary market transactions have been Japanese, although previously China was the focus.

Top Dollar seems to be currently at Low to Mid $x,xxx, but the picture is changing rapidly, and once traffic revenues and big End Users start to emerge then I think you will be surprised by how quickly things move.

Best Regards
Dave

Edwin
20th January 2006, 11:27 PM
Ok, thanks for the info.

thegenius1
27th January 2006, 03:47 PM

But People that dont see the Vision have to Be complete Udder Idiots or Just Fnn BrainDead, This is like 1 + 1, and im no Genius lol

bwhhisc
28th January 2006, 10:19 PM
But People that dont see the Vision have to Be complete Udder Idiots or Just Fnn BrainDead, This is like 1 + 1, and im no Genius lol

Yes, some have very much "closed thier minds" about IDN. This is from January 2, 2006 at "another forum". He thanks us for "leaving him" more ascii.coms.

QUOTE: "My guess is that most people investing in these names will get detroyed (financially). People are buying these names with absolutely no understanding of the words. They don't understand the subtle nuances that make the words valuable....or not.

It's pretty much a dotcom world....you don't see too many UDRP cases involving names other than Dotcom (guess what that means). Hopefully they keep buying them though because that leaves more of the Dotcom names for me. Dotcom gets stronger every day because of all of this. There are exceptions to every rule but my money is on WIPEOUT. end QUOTE.

sarcle
28th January 2006, 10:27 PM
QUOTE: "My guess is that most people investing in these names will get detroyed (financially).

I loved this response. I used this in my sig for a little while, until they pmed me and asked me to stop. :)