PDA

View Full Version : Non Latin URL navigation.

Clotho
19th January 2006, 02:27 AM
People in countries that do not use the latin character set have been using search engines to navigate the internet for years.

When IE7 is introduced they will be able to use their native language for the first time (for most of them) to navigate directly via the address bar.

Unfortunately most are not even aware that this functionality exists. Heck, many people in North America still don't know you can type in the address bar.

Since it is in our own best interest I think we should take it upon ourselves to educate the masses!

My thought is to create simple .jpg that can be included on our parking pages or other pages we make for our IDN's.

Something like the following: http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=371802

This is just a rough draft and the text has to be changed to the appropriate language still (Japanese, Chinese, etc.)

If we create one image that can be easily added to all of our pages we will be able to educate the masses fairly quickly I think.

Any thoughts?

idnowner
19th January 2006, 02:58 AM
If we create one image that can be easily added to all of our pages we will be able to educate the masses fairly quickly I think.

Any thoughts?

Get a domain (something like: aboutIDN.com), and put up an informational website, and send out press releases to the different local and national news agencies, papers, radio stations, etc.

And hopefully, Microsoft will promote the use of IDNs, as part of their important improvements, when they release IE7.