PDA

View Full Version : What makes a Premium Domain name?

10th July 2006, 06:55 PM
Can you call anything today (when everything practically isnt born yet) a revenue producer? based on whatever 4-5 bucks it makes monthly?

imo the only way in todays condition is common sense , basic understanding of the industry/thing/place potential , backed up with some serp and ovt/wordstat numbers plus personal preference as some will say i.e that countryname.com in that country's language is less valuable then mortgage.com in that given language when some wont agree to that.

Michael

P.S look at my signature...premium? not? we will only get the answer to it in when? 2-3 yrs?

Explorer
10th July 2006, 07:04 PM
A revenue producer and a premium domain name are two different things in today's market.

10th July 2006, 07:30 PM
Very true,

i would be surprised to see any single idn that can be categorized as a revenue earning domain (obviously referring to current market conditions). as for a premium domain, we can only try and compare today's ascii value (with domain specific factors like relativeness of domain subject/theme to the language it is in etc...

bottom line from what i see today, its more whats "accepted" by most to bid on/buy..etc and what most have "excluded" for reasons known to no one including them selves...is not "hot"

in general my definition of premium is based on 3 factors...memorability/branding...higher conversion rate "owed" to the domain...and if a sale occurs (for existing operating site..not ppc) price is noticabely higher due to the domain being what it is

Explorer
10th July 2006, 07:34 PM
I agree.

Let's go back to 1994 and look at ASCII names which had no revenue/stats at the time. Folks that were regging back then used only one tool - their intuition. I think we are somewhat better equiped today, but your intuition is probably still your best tool when it comes to IDNs.

Rubber Duck
10th July 2006, 07:41 PM
I agree.

Let's go back to 1994 and look at ASCII names which had no revenue/stats at the time. Folks that were regging back then used only one tool - their intuition. I think we are somewhat better equiped today, but your intuition is probably still your best tool when it comes to IDNs.

And that is from one the most respected IDNers on here!

At the moment some tools are useful, but all talk of traffic as a means of measuring value is currently B/S.

mulligan
10th July 2006, 07:42 PM
Id like to add that todays 'Premium' name is not necessairly tomorrows 'Premium' name...
(Im not a big fan of labeling domain names 'Premium' -- The term has been so overused and abused everything these days is 'Premium' -- Just check out all the 'Premium' names for sale on the various forums for as little as $3...)

10th July 2006, 07:48 PM
Id like to add that todays 'Premium' name is not necessairly tomorrows 'Premium' name...
Exactly, i.e russian.nets and all this net=no arguments...
it all might be speculation and the ".no" will becomes the hottest thing around like

NO CAR?? go to Cars.No and get one!...

(am i trying to push my russian .nets?) .NO :)

alpha
10th July 2006, 08:06 PM
I think we all agree that "premium" is a BS term.

but I think we can agree on both ends of the spectrum. We will agree on what is real good, and what is real crap - but its the huge grey bit in the middle that we will always struggle with.

only traffic and some history of similar sales will sort the grey out

Rubber Duck
10th July 2006, 08:12 PM
I think we all agree that "premium" is a BS term.

but I think we can agree on both ends of the spectrum. We will agree on what is real good, and what is real crap - but its the huge grey bit in the middle that we will always struggle with.

only traffic and some history of similar sales will sort the grey out

It is difficult. I use such terms very sparingly. Others will use very colourful language about any old rubbish. I am not saying they are wrong, but it is not very helpful to the rest of us, when we are trying to differentiate quality. We can substitute another term, but once that is recognised it gets abuse in much the same way. Ultimately it doesn't come down to what is said, but who is saying it!

touchring
10th July 2006, 08:16 PM
(Im not a big fan of labeling domain names 'Premium' -- The term has been so overused and abused everything these days is 'Premium' -- Just check out all the 'Premium' names for sale on the various forums for as little as $3...)

Yes, i agree, i was thinking about this before i saw what mulligan posted. Nothing is static. The market moves all the time. Not too long ago, everyone was chasing after real estate combos like nuts, people were registering hundreds of combos, with the 'shi', without the 'shi', etc, even .nets were taken. All this craze started from only one single sale.

Neptune
10th July 2006, 08:23 PM
Agreed premium is BS term, and will no longer use it.

My intention by previously using it was simply to seperate those with less potential than those with higher potential (based on the individual owners perspective). Given their intuition combined with my own i felt that it would be more valuable, than one or the other. As i respect the judgement and opinions of many members on here who have more knowledge of industry. There is obviously no way of knowing which names will be most valuable, besides this intuition and some of the basic tools.

alpha
10th July 2006, 08:28 PM
buy you can add a little science to it..

in my book, it maybe "premium" if:

the .net and .tv etc are taken too
it was registered "early"
the .net or other variations are owned by a native

sure you can pull it apart and say ".. but..."

as I said, it's just a loose benchmark I personally use before I check anything else

Explorer
10th July 2006, 09:23 PM
Good points.

We all have different approaches when shooting in the dark. But I think one similar thing we have in common is a "registration theory" that minimizes the translation/cultural risk. That theory tells us that you can't go wrong regging certain themes or groups. Those themes for me, for example, include, consumer products, country/city names and so on. OVT, Yandex scores, number of Google bidders will change over time, that's why the stats are more like guidelines rather than rules.

Giant
10th July 2006, 09:42 PM
Good points.

We all have different approaches when shooting in the dark. But I think one similar thing we have in common is a "registration theory" that minimizes the translation/cultural risk. That theory tells us that you can't go wrong regging certain themes or groups. Those themes for me, for example, include, consumer products, country/city names and so on. OVT, Yandex scores, number of Google bidders will change over time, that's why the stats are more like guidelines rather than rules.

Good points.

Most of my names were regged without being guided by stats.

Stats from search engines can serve as guidelines but not rules, they are there to guide people to purchase ads rather than telling you which domains are good.