PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Dave and Olney!

Explorer
20th January 2006, 09:55 AM
Great article at http://www.domainingblog.com/2006/01/special-edition-report-are-idns-next.html.

Rubber Duck
20th January 2006, 11:49 AM
Nice Article on the whole but it does tend to reinforce some misconceptions on IDN.IDN. I have PM'ed the author on this one.

IDN.IDN are not going to be by and large new registeries that will supercede the old registries, they are going to different representations of the same thing. Final detail have not been resolved on how this will be implemented but dot Com will appear in dozens of different languages but it will still be dot Com, an intergral part of the original registry.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Olney
20th January 2006, 12:00 PM
Hey ya know...
It's good to just clear up misconceptions...
I just speak the truth Y'all....

Now to work all weekened & get the site up...

Rubber Duck
20th January 2006, 12:05 PM
Hey ya know...
It's good to just clear up misconceptions...
I just speak the truth Y'all....

Now to work all weekened & get the site up...

Thanks for that, I am especially lookng forward to being able to post a Firefox Avitar.

Dave

Explorer
20th January 2006, 12:53 PM
When IDNs take off and wake up a lot of people, the full implementation of IDN.IDN will happen fast. The very news of, say, Japan or Russia applying for their .IDN extensions will put a price cap on IDN.com easily. IDN.com will still be highly valuable and “brandable”, but let’s admit it – when all said and done, internet users will not want to switch keyboards and typing in IDN.IDN will be their preferred way.

Rubber Duck
20th January 2006, 01:04 PM
When IDNs take off and wake up a lot of people, the full implementation of IDN.IDN will happen fast. The very news of, say, Japan or Russia applying for their .IDN extensions will put a price cap on IDN.com easily. IDN.com will still be highly valuable and “brandable”, but let’s admit it – when all said and done, internet users will not want to switch keyboards and typing in IDN.IDN will be their preferred way.

Please do some research on this and report back.

IDN.com will be Aliased as IDN.IDN in every script in the world. If you don't buy the IDN.com you won't get the IDN.IDN or the indeed the JP.IDN or RU.IDN.

Those that believe there is going to be a second wave of IDN are totally misinformed! The main event is going on now and if you miss that will be it!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Explorer
20th January 2006, 02:19 PM
Please do some research on this and report back.

IDN.com will be Aliased as IDN.IDN in every script in the world. If you don't buy the IDN.com you won't get the IDN.IDN or the indeed the JP.IDN or RU.IDN.

Those that believe there is going to be a second wave of IDN are totally misinformed! The main event is going on now and if you miss that will be it!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Not sure I agree with you. Just because I have IDN.com, doesn not mean I automatically get IDN.IDN. The China's .cn example is the only example out there and probably will not be repeated. If you register domain.RU, for example, you won't get domain.IDN because

1. it doesn't exist
2. the russian registry would like to make $$$ by charging for domain.IDN, thus, making it completely independent of domain.RU. They will not just give it away as China does.

So, IDN.IDN will be a completely different market, that won't be around for a number of years, giving us an opportunity to make some $$$ off of our IDN.coms.

Rubber Duck
20th January 2006, 02:34 PM
Not sure I agree with you. Just because I have IDN.com, doesn not mean I automatically get IDN.IDN. The China's .cn example is the only example out there and probably will not be repeated. If you register domain.RU, for example, you won't get domain.IDN because

1. it doesn't exist
2. the russian registry would like to make $$$ by charging for domain.IDN, thus, making it completely independent of domain.RU. They will not just give it away as China does.

So, IDN.IDN will be a completely different market, that won't be around for a number of years, giving us an opportunity to make some $$$ off of our IDN.coms.

IDN.IDN will almost certainly be here this year. It was the subject of lengthy discussion at the Vancouver Workshop. I think the decision will be taken this month. There are a couple of different ways of doing this. Dot CN will certainly be in the first wave, as indeed I believe will dot RU. Dot com may be delayed slightly as this may be done with a different technology.

Yes, it will mean that you automatically get the IDN.IDN. We are talking about different manifestations of the same thing rather than a different thing. The Chinese have been tinkering with their DNS to achieve this for dot CN. What will happen is that they will stop and ICANN will start to do much the same thing but for many more ccTLDs, although possibly in a slighty different way.

Believe me I know what I am talking about. I have even exchanged emails with Vint Cerf on the subject, with proposed enhancements to the DName solution which is that preferred by Verisign, which is the now seen as the best way of Aliasing gTLDS.

This is a once off opportunity for obtaining IDN, and frankly the expression of uninformed opinions on the matter is only damaging the IDN market place by creating additional unwanted uncertainty.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Explorer
20th January 2006, 02:44 PM
IDN.IDN will almost certainly be here this year. It was the subject of lengthy discussion at the Vancouver Workshop. I think the decision will be taken this month. There are a couple of different ways of doing this. Dot CN will certainly be in the first wave, as indeed I believe will dot RU. Dot com may be delayed slightly as this may be done with a different technology.

Yes, it will mean that you automatically get the IDN.IDN. We are talking about different manifestations of the same thing rather than a different thing. The Chinese have been tinkering with their DNS to achieve this for dot CN. What will happen is that they will stop and ICANN will start to do much the same thing but for many more ccTLDs, although possibly in a slighty different way.

Believe me I know what I am talking about. I have even exchanged emails with Vint Cerf on the subject, with proposed enhancements to the DName solution which is that preferred by Verisign, which is the now seen as the best way of Aliasing gTLDS.

This is a once off opportunity for obtaining IDN, and frankly the expression of uninformed opinions on the matter is only damaging the IDN market place by creating additional unwanted uncertainty.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

I agree that are talking about different manifestations of the same thing rather than a different thing. Of course, IDN.com will always be easier to register and administer.

Did not want to create any additional uncertainty, was just trying to imply that with everything else going on and possible competition coming from IDN.IDN, the best way for monetizing our IDN.coms would be by developing, rather than parking.

Rubber Duck
20th January 2006, 03:01 PM
I agree that are talking about different manifestations of the same thing rather than a different thing. Of course, IDN.com will always be easier to register and administer.

Did not want to create any additional uncertainty, was just trying to imply that with everything else going on and possible competition coming from IDN.IDN, the best way for monetizing our IDN.coms would be by developing, rather than parking.

I sorry but I still don't think you have got this.

You need to look at:

http://icann.org/announcements/dname-white-paper-verisign-17nov05.pdf

com = xn--55qx5d = 公司 = xn--6oq404h = 会社 = xn--zgb = ش

I know this is confusing and I have just realised I have put the wrong domain up for sale!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

bramiozo
20th January 2006, 11:43 PM
Spread the word ;) .

domainingblog.com seems to be flooded with IDN news lately .....