PDA

View Full Version : Article About Real Estate Domain Names , DNJournal.com

thegenius1
11th July 2006, 03:20 AM
The website for the North County Times (a regional newspaper serving the San Diego, California area), has an interesting article from writer Chris Bagley about how the domain boom has produced a severe shortage of viable .com domains in the real estate sector. Bagley does a good job of conveying the value inherent in a good domain to his paper's readers so that they can understand why prices can run into 6 figures. It is encouraging to see mainstream journalists grasp what we've known for a long time and pass that knowledge along to the general public. We'll still see occasional mainstream articles loaded with misinformation about this business, but as more and more media outlets get it right, we're confident that the man on the street will eventually understand why good domains command the prices they do today.

As the last meadows and vacant lots disappear from inland boomtowns, some of the businesses sprouting up there find themselves jostling for space even on the virtual landscape of the Internet.

Temecula's economic growth has increased the value of locally focused domain names that have long been registered and used, such as temeculavalleyhomes.com and temeculainformation.com. Development in surrounding communities has created a more recent market for Web addresses that incorporate names such as Menifee and Murrieta.

It all makes for a field of domain names that's increasingly crowded, with real estate agents, informational businesses and other companies coming up with increasingly varied spellings of local place names. While temecularealestate.com has been in use for a decade, temvlyhomes.com was first registered in 2003.

"It's very difficult to find a good dot-com name right now," said Dan Jauregui, a Ramona-based agent who sells real estate locally through lakeelsinoreland.com and menifeerealestate.com. "They're pricey."

Caroline Collins said a real estate agent once offered her $100,000 for the rights to her domain name, temecularealestate.com, which she first registered and built a site around in the mid-1990s. Collins turned down the offer; her business had come to depend on the site, she said.

Collins launched a sister Web site, murrietarealestate.com, in 2000. It gets fewer visitors than the Temecula site. A couple of years ago, another real estate agent offered to buy it. After she suggested $25,000, she didn't hear back from the other agent, she said.

Collins' experience is common, said Judy Zulfiqar, a Temecula-based consultant who advises clients on Internet strategies. Though Zulfiqar said she regularly hears of local businesses making and receiving offers of $300 to $15,000 for their domain names, they often are unable to agree on a price. The would-be buyer usually ends up registering a less desirable name, she said.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/07/08/news/californian/21_32_037_7_06.txt

bwhhisc
11th July 2006, 03:52 AM
Genius, you will be writing your own article soon.
You may need to brush up on your Japanese if you want to get some speaking engagements to go along with. LOL

thegenius1
11th July 2006, 03:06 PM
Genius, you will be writing your own article soon.
You may need to brush up on your Japanese if you want to get some speaking engagements to go along with. LOL

Yeah that would be pretty cool , Funny you should say that i was in the Airport over the Weekend and i found myself really trying to read some Japanese Signs , I was suprised that i acutally figuired some out , speaking it hmmm i should be able to master it bye time uncle Bill gets out IE7 LOL