PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 Scrapped!

Rubber Duck
11th July 2006, 05:08 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5164450.stm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/10/AR2006071001331.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns

<<<Microsoft pulls the plug on Windows 98, 98 Second Edition and Millennium Edition today: no more bug fixes, no more technical support, no more nothing.>>>

Explorer
11th July 2006, 05:42 PM
I guess an automatic update to IE7 is a must then :-)

Rubber Duck
11th July 2006, 05:45 PM
I guess an automatic update to IE7 is a must then :-)

This is a prelude to killing IE 6.0.

None of these operating systems was ever going to support IE 7.0.

Microsoft has killed them off. The death of IE 6.0 will be announced shortly. Everyone is going to IE 7.0 very soon. That is why the guy on the blog was so cagey about Auto Updates. If he said too much he would have stolen Bill's Thunder.

Explorer
11th July 2006, 05:49 PM
Yep, IE6 will be dead soon, as it won't work with the new Office or any other MS products. Funny, the announcement doesn't give folks all that much time to do things.

Rubber Duck
11th July 2006, 05:53 PM
Yep, IE6 will be dead soon, as it won't work with the new Office or any other MS products. Funny, the announcement doesn't give folks all that much time to do things.

Well they don't have to do anything. They have just received their last update, and that will of course include IE 6.0 updates. As soon as a new threat emerges these people are in serious trouble. Having said that, it is a bit like trying run a Taxis service using Trotter's 3 Wheeler Van!

I guess the reason that they haven't been given much time is simply because there isn't much time, and Microsoft haven't got the manpower to waste on Windows 98 or IE 6.0. I guess they are a bit sheepish to say so, but I reckon the last update has actually been delivered here as well. Nobody needs to be told with IE 6.0, with Windows 98, they are basically going to have to go out and buy a new system. It just a shame that the Vista option is still not yet on offer!

Explorer
11th July 2006, 05:57 PM
Well they don't have to do anything. They have just received their last update, and that will of course include IE 6.0 updates. As soon as a new threat emerges these people are in serious trouble. Having said that, it is a bit like trying run a Taxis service using Trotter's 3 Wheeler Van!

I am hoping for a non-event, actually. Wake up, turn on my computer, see "new updates are ready to be installed" .... what are the chances of that?

Rubber Duck
11th July 2006, 05:59 PM
I am hoping for a non-event, actually. Wake up, turn on my computer, see "new updates are ready to be installed" .... what are the chances of that?

That is more or less what happened with IE 6.0 if I remember correctly.

Giant
11th July 2006, 06:12 PM

The Chinese would say "as real as pearl", because pearl has the same pronounciation as the word "real" :)

Congrats, but I have prepared well for any good news to come. It doesn't matter to me if the good news come next month or 3 months later, it's all the same -- we are all happy!

gammascalper
11th July 2006, 06:13 PM
From the IE7 Chat in June:

Chris Wilson [MS] (Expert):
Q: Will IE be updated through Microsoft Update or own auto-update system? And will there be added support for CSS 3 in the future?
A: IE will be updated through Microsoft Update, as it currently is. And yes, I expect we will add support for some CSS3 specifications in the future, as they become recommendations.

:)

Explorer
11th July 2006, 06:15 PM
The Chinese would say "as real as pearl", because pearl has the same pronounciation as the word "real" :)

Congrats, but I have prepared well for any good news to come. It doesn't matter to me if the good news come next month or 3 months later, it's all the same -- we are all happy!

That's very true. I am guilty sometimes of being impatient.

From the IE7 Chat in June:

Chris Wilson [MS] (Expert):
Q: Will IE be updated through Microsoft Update or own auto-update system? And will there be added support for CSS 3 in the future?
A: IE will be updated through Microsoft Update, as it currently is. And yes, I expect we will add support for some CSS3 specifications in the future, as they become recommendations.

Thanks, nice find.
That will be a hell of a morning :-)

alpha
11th July 2006, 06:26 PM
Another quote from Chris Wilson (June 15th):

The big question every web designer is asking, is how long before they can drop support for IE 6.
Well that depends on how fast IE 7 is rolled out. It sounds like this will happen fairly fast because it will be included as part of the windows update. It also looks like it will be a high priority update because of all of the security fixes. In short Microsoft will be pushing IE7 as hard as possible.

http://www.boagworld.com/archives/2006/06/atmedia_ie7_and_beyond.html

http://www.space.com/images/v_last_shot_of_my_life_03.jpg

Rubber Duck
11th July 2006, 06:29 PM
Another quote from Chris Wilson (June 15th):

The big question every web designer is asking, is how long before they can drop support for IE 6.
Well that depends on how fast IE 7 is rolled out. It sounds like this will happen fairly fast because it will be included as part of the windows update. It also looks like it will be a high priority update because of all of the security fixes. In short Microsoft will be pushing IE7 as hard as possible.

http://www.boagworld.com/archives/2006/06/atmedia_ie7_and_beyond.html

I think you have actually seen your last IE 6.0 update. It is just a little too early to go public.

This really is it, chaps. Get ready for some real action!

PS

IE 7.0 has gone Beta 3.0 Japan, Russia and China