PDA

View Full Version : XP Service Pack 1 to be Scrapped!

Rubber Duck
11th July 2006, 08:41 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx

bwhhisc
11th July 2006, 09:15 PM
No more support for Windows 98. Hopefully that mean the tech support staff is getting ready to move a good bit of their resources towards preparation of IE7 support. This signals a step forward.

QUOTE FROM ARTICLE: FOR WINDOWS 98 USERS- "Free XP"- To enhance the security of your computer and to continue to receive updates for Windows XP, we recommend you upgrade your computer, FOR FREE, to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

Rubber Duck
11th July 2006, 09:27 PM
No more support for Windows 98. Hopefully that mean the tech support staff is getting ready to move a good bit of their resources towards preparation of IE7 support. This signals a step forward.

QUOTE FROM ARTICLE: FOR WINDOWS 98 USERS- "Free XP"- To enhance the security of your computer and to continue to receive updates for Windows XP, we recommend you upgrade your computer, FOR FREE, to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

Are you sure that it was being offered for Free to Windows 98 users?

Giant
11th July 2006, 09:30 PM

I think NO, otherwise Bill Gate wouldn't be that rich :)

bwhhisc
11th July 2006, 09:33 PM

Maybe I read too fast...they recommend 98 customers upgrade to XP, and XP customers to get their service pack 2 upgrade for free. But your right, looks like only the service pack upgrade is free.

QUOTE- End of support for Windows XP Service Pack 1
On October 10, 2006, Microsoft will end all public assisted support for Windows XP Service Pack1 (SP1). After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide any incident support options or security updates for this retired service pack under the policies defined by the Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy.

To enhance the security of your computer and to continue to receive updates for Windows XP, we recommend you upgrade your computer, for free, to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

Microsoft is retiring support for these products because they are outdated and can expose customers to security risks. We recommend that customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows Me upgrade to a newer, more secure Microsoft operating system, such as Windows XP, as soon as possible.

Rubber Duck
11th July 2006, 09:34 PM
I think NO, otherwise Bill Gate wouldn't be that rich :)

No, and besides it would be a cruel joke as most of the Hardware Systems wouldn't cope with Service Pack 2 anyway.