PDA

View Full Version : Xn--Øgb.com ص.com Second post.

sarcle
21st January 2006, 12:43 AM
This domain recently sold on Afternic for $500. Does anyone know the translation?

ص.com Xn--Øgb.com 01/18/2006

There were two bids, so I assume the buyer started with the Afternic default of $200.

g
21st January 2006, 01:07 AM
it is just a single arabic letter

great news

and fair market price

I am sure Olney is more happy because he owns most of the 27 single arabic letters ;)

but it is also great news for all IDNers

cheers:)

Olney
21st January 2006, 01:23 AM
Sorry it must be Dave, not me
Also Sarcle I fixed the issue with your post not showing up.
I switched the way URLs are displayed...

sarcle
21st January 2006, 01:24 AM
Okay cool. Thanks.

g
21st January 2006, 01:27 AM
Actually, I got stuck in this forum through speculating single arabic letters

everytime I visit a letter I always go to this forum ... So I finally decided to join to see what is going on here:)

congratulations to who ever owns all those single letters.

idn
21st January 2006, 02:02 AM
To clarify, I purchased it and both bids were mine. It is the Arabic letter sad and has the highest overture of all the letters in the Arabic alphabet.

Mark

sarcle
21st January 2006, 02:11 AM
To clarify, I purchased it and both bids were mine. It is the Arabic letter sad and has the highest overture of all the letters in the Arabic alphabet.

Mark

Boy, this is awkward. I feel like I'm talking about someone elses wife and they caught me spreading rumors.

Yeah, it was a nice catch, worth the investment. Congrats.

g
21st January 2006, 02:12 AM

Mark

congratulations about this awesome letter, Mark

you are very serious about IDNs man:)

it is sometimes used as an abbreviation for ( Peace Be Upon Him ) or صلعم
it is what muslims say after mentioning the name of Muhammad.

good luck with the domain.

idn
21st January 2006, 02:20 AM
Boy, this is awkward. I feel like I'm talking about someone elses wife and they caught me spreading rumors.

Yeah, it was a nice catch, worth the investment. Congrats.

not married, but you are always welcome to spread rumors about my girlfriendS!

idn
21st January 2006, 02:23 AM
congratulations about this awesome letter, Mark

you are very serious about IDNs man:)

it is sometimes used as an abbreviation for ( Peace Be Upon Him ) or صلعم
it is what muslims say after mentioning the name of Muhammad.

good luck with the domain.

Yeah, I kind of like them...

Thanks for the info.

Rubber Duck
21st January 2006, 07:50 AM
it is just a single arabic letter

great news

and fair market price

I am sure Olney is more happy because he owns most of the 27 single arabic letters ;)

but it is also great news for all IDNers

cheers:)

I don't know about that I would suggest that this was infact rediculously cheap. I have most of the rest and I won't sell for anything vaguely looking like $500. You might get a dot net for that price.

When the ASCII characters are released we may get some idea of what they are really worth!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Rubber Duck
21st January 2006, 07:54 AM
Actually, I got stuck in this forum through speculating single arabic letters

everytime I visit a letter I always go to this forum ... So I finally decided to join to see what is going on here:)

congratulations to who ever owns all those single letters.

We own all but three dot com and the same number of dot net, although the missing ones are vary.

We now also have the Single Numerals in dot net.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
21st January 2006, 08:18 AM
I dun have any Arabic alphabet, but i got the question mark .com + .net (reversed from english, right to left).

I regged them for novelty sake, because i saw the inverted Spanish question sold a month ago.

Any value??

Rubber Duck
21st January 2006, 08:47 AM
I dun have any Arabic alphabet, but i got the question mark .com + .net (reversed from english, right to left).

I regged them for novelty sake, because i saw the inverted Spanish question sold a month ago.

Any value??

Not in my book, but there are obviously others interested at the moment.

In time it will become very clear whether or not there is a market in these. Personally, I would try to sell it before then. I once had a novelty domain but I have let it drop. I honestly cannot remember whether that was through intent or neglect. It was the dot com for the card Diamond.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
21st January 2006, 08:58 AM
Not in my book, but there are obviously others interested at the moment.

In time it will become very clear whether or not there is a market in these. Personally, I would try to sell it before then. I once had a novelty domain but I have let it drop. I honestly cannot remember whether that was through intent or neglect. It was the dot com for the card Diamond.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

True, i'm no fan of symbols, and would not even be interested in smileys even though it's possible to enter a smiley - some combination of alt and ctrl keys??

I took the reversed question mark because it had some US OVT, although a small one at 234. In comparison, the latin question mark has an US OVT of 59155.

If ?.com were a domain, how much would it be worth? :-)

Rubber Duck
21st January 2006, 10:21 AM
True, i'm no fan of symbols, and would not even be interested in smileys even though it's possible to enter a smiley - some combination of alt and ctrl keys??

I took the reversed question mark because it had some US OVT, although a small one at 234. In comparison, the latin question mark has an US OVT of 59155.

If ?.com were a domain, how much would it be worth? :-)

I am not sure that this is a meaningful question as ? is a wildcard character that is not even permitted in Windows Filenames.

Obviously, ignoring all the aspects that make this apparently technically impossible, probably quite a lot of money. It is a single character, it is readily inputable and it is synomous with Search. Yes, probably 7 figures. But I honestly cannot see how this character could ever exist as a domain name.

The inverted question mark is currently permissible, but I think there must be doubts on it long-term future, it is not, however,readily inputtable and it not something that non-domainers would currently spontaniously attempt to generate, even if they had the means.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
21st January 2006, 11:24 AM
I am not sure that this is a meaningful question as ? is a wildcard character that is not even permitted in Windows Filenames.

Obviously, ignoring all the aspects that make this apparently technically impossible, probably quite a lot of money. It is a single character, it is readily inputable and it is synomous with Search. Yes, probably 7 figures. But I honestly cannot see how this character could ever exist as a domain name.

The inverted question mark is currently permissible, but I think there must be doubts on it long-term future, it is not, however,readily inputtable and it not something that non-domainers would currently spontaniously attempt to generate, even if they had the means.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

I just found out it's called the Arabic question mark - exists on the Arabic keyboard where the english question mark is located - http://www.datacal.com/s_images/arabic-101-layout.gif.

Anyway, just another novelty domain for showing off purpose. :-)

ص.com - OVT 6000+ -> Great domain! You are lucky to buy it at only $500.

Rubber Duck
21st January 2006, 11:44 AM
I just found out it's called the Arabic question mark - exists on the Arabic keyboard where the english question mark is located - http://www.datacal.com/s_images/arabic-101-layout.gif.

Anyway, just another novelty domain for showing off purpose.

ص.com - OVT 6000+ -> Great domain!

Actually, I should have known that and it changes everything! And of course in many ways that makes it very much the equivalent of the English question mark, but because it is not used in the same way in Computer Code it may have all the advantages without the disadvantages.

It is of course readily inputtable, a single character and it will also have search connatations. The low overture in relation to the standard question mark will be to do with the slower development of the Arabic Market. It is never the less highly brandable and probably of interest to the major search engines.

No, actually classifying this as a Novelty is a mistake. This is worth real money!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
21st January 2006, 12:24 PM
Actually, I should have known that and it changes everything! And of course in many ways that makes it very much the equivalent of the English question mark, but because it is not used in the same way in Computer Code it may have all the advantages without the disadvantages.

It is of course readily inputtable, a single character and it will also have search connatations. The low overture in relation to the standard question mark will be to do with the slower development of the Arabic Market. It is never the less highly brandable and probably of interest to the major search engines.

No, actually classifying this as a Novelty is a mistake. This is worth real money!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

That's great!

I'm adding questions.com (أسئلة.com) and question.com (سؤال.com) to complete the set. :-)