14th July 2006, 01:52 AM
Domain Name: 老妈.com

PunyCode: xn--hvs380g.com

Registrar: eNom

Price: 50$

English Translation: Mother

Language: Simplified Chinese

Accept Paypal (no cc)

Could you explain why this is "mother"? Compare to 母亲 or 妈妈? Thanks.

jeffhuang
14th July 2006, 04:06 AM
This is spoken chinese version of mother. Youngers use it instead of 母亲 and 妈妈.

Giant
14th July 2006, 04:41 AM

Yes, you should say this is a spoken version of mother, or a slang in some areas. 老妈 is sometimes used to address an old woman in an intimate and friendly way. Accurate translation will help you sell better. Just an advice.

jeffhuang
14th July 2006, 05:26 AM
Yes, you should say this is a spoken version of mother, or a slang in some areas. 老妈 is sometimes used to address an old woman in an intimate and friendly way. Accurate translation will help you sell better. Just an advice.

Thank you, Giant.

But your assertion "老妈 is sometimes used to address an old woman in an intimate and friendly way." is incorrect. The word you mentioned should be 老妈妈.

Giant
14th July 2006, 05:44 AM
Thank you, Giant.

But your assertion "老妈 is sometimes used to address an old woman in an intimate and friendly way." is incorrect. The word you mentioned should be 老妈妈.

How do you know it's incorrect? Which dictionary says so? I will explain it to you why it's correct later :)

touchring
14th July 2006, 06:15 AM

At least for my daily use (not textbook or dictionary), I think just one character 妈 or 'Maaa' is more common for spoken.

老妈 or 老妈子 is more often used by the mother herself or as a third party term (what's the proper grammer term for that?), E.g. 老妈子回来了!

Direct Translations:

母亲 - Mother
妈妈 - Mama
老妈 - Old Ma

Giant
14th July 2006, 06:33 AM
At least for my daily use (not textbook or dictionary), I think just one character 妈 or 'Maaa' is more common for spoken.

老妈 or 老妈子 is more often used by the mother herself or as a third party term (what's the proper grammer term for that?), E.g. 老妈子回来了!

China is very large, people in different area use even popular terms a bit differently. Never assume that the way you speak is the only correct way.

老妈子 is the Cantonese way of saying 老妈 of mainland China for Mama, both are correct depends on where you live. But only some Chinese like to say 老妈, most still prefer Mama (妈妈) or just Ma (妈).

Prodigy
14th July 2006, 06:37 AM
Just my 2 cents, to be honest with you, "lao ma" is not usually used in adressing or speaking about one's mother... they use it like the Koreans use "Omma ya" which is like OMG... Im on vacation with my fiancee and shes a korean chinese and she is verifying this for me as well.

Back from vacation!

touchring
14th July 2006, 06:44 AM
Just my 2 cents, to be honest with you, "lao ma" is not usually used in adressing or speaking about one's mother... they use it like the Koreans use "Omma ya" which is like OMG... Im on vacation with my fiancee and shes a korean chinese and she is verifying this for me as well.

Back from vacation!

I think Mandarin uses 老天 or 我的天 for OMG. Another term, but not strictly OMG but carries the same meaning is 昏! But, I believe this is only used in Mainland China.

The character 老, lao, although more commonly used in Yue, Min and Wu dialects, is also used in Mandarin. I suspect it is also used in Japanese, seen quite a lot of it in Japan?

Giant
14th July 2006, 06:51 AM

Back from vacation!

You are right if you turn back the clock to 50 years ago :). 老妈 is used nowadays in China for mother especially among the young people. I don't think 老妈 was an ok term 50 years ago, it should be considered a new slang.

touchring
14th July 2006, 06:55 AM
Ok, i think we commented enough on Jeffhuang's sale thread, so everyone agrees with this statement?

jeffhuang
14th July 2006, 06:59 AM
"老妈 is used nowadays in China for mother especially among the young people"
Absolutely right. This is a popular terms in young people.

Giant
14th July 2006, 07:33 AM
"老妈 is used nowadays in China for mother especially among the young people"
Absolutely right. This is a popular terms in young people.

OK, but you still haven't proved that my "assertion" is wrong.

Perhaps you don't hear such addressing (to an old woman) any more, but that's the traditional way for many many years.

Here some hints:

-Even in some foreign languages, we sometimes use Mama to address an old woman who is not our mother.

-If Jason Wang is your neighbor, and your family know his mother well. One day your mother asked you who you talked to when you were outside your house, and you said, "Oh, it's 王老妈". (老妈 of Wang family). Possible?

-老妈 = 老妈妈.

jeffhuang
14th July 2006, 09:09 AM
OK, but you still haven't proved that my "assertion" is wrong.

Perhaps you don't hear such addressing (to an old woman) any more, but that's the traditional way for many many years.

Here some hints:

-Even in some foreign languages, we sometimes use Mama to address an old woman who is not our mother.

-If Jason Wang is your neighbor, and your family know his mother well. One day your mother asked you who you talked to when you were outside your house, and you said, "Oh, it's 王老妈". (老妈 of Wang family). Possible?

-老妈 = 老妈妈.

People don't say 王老妈 but 王大妈

Giant
15th July 2006, 12:24 AM
People don't say 王老妈 but 王大妈

王老妈, 王大妈, 王妈妈, they are all the same.

You are a Chinese, don't bury your head in slangs, learn some basic Chinese!

jeffhuang
15th July 2006, 01:21 PM
王老妈, 王大妈, 王妈妈, they are all the same.

You are a Chinese, don't bury your head in slangs, learn some basic Chinese!

People seldom say 王老妈 (almost nobady says because nobody likes to hear someone call you "Old" mam).
Occasionally say 王妈妈.
In the most case, 王大妈 is the best one.

touchring
15th July 2006, 01:51 PM
You are right if you turn back the clock to 50 years ago :). 老妈 is used nowadays in China for mother especially among the young people. I don't think 老妈 was an ok term 50 years ago, it should be considered a new slang.

I think we have commented enough on jeffhuang's sale thread, no one has proven that Jeffhuang's translation is not correct.

Giant
15th July 2006, 05:00 PM
People seldom say 王老妈 (almost nobady says because nobody likes to hear someone call you "Old" mam).
Occasionally say 王妈妈.
In the most case, 王大妈 is the best one.

王老妈, 王大妈, 王妈妈 are true Chinese terms, you can use them in your school essays but you are not allowed to use a slang (老妈) in any formal writings. Since you use 老妈 as a slang recently, so you avoid using 王老妈, but it cannot change its status. Here's the history how you turn 老妈 a formal term into a slang:

Originally:

妈 - mother
爸 - father
哥 - older brother
姐 - older sister
弟 - younger brother
妹 - younger sister

We have an tradition of using the word 老 (old) together with somebody's last name to mean Mr.

Ex: Instead of saying 李先生 (Mr. Li), we use 老李 but only among friends to show our friendliness.

Original Chinese term 老妈 is an old woman, 老哥 is a young man but older than the speaker, 老弟 is also a young man but younger than the speaker. But it's incorrect to use 老 as Mr. for a female.

In the last decades, young people in mainland China tried to be cool and friendly and call their own father Mr. Papa, their old or younger brother Mr. Brother, and even their mother Mr. Mother, their sister Mr. Sister.

So, you have some new terms, but they are slangs and can be obsolete and gone any time when they don't sound cool to you anymore:

老妈 - mother
老爸 - father
老哥 - older brother
老姐 - older sister
老弟 - younger brother
老妹 - younger sister

touchring
15th July 2006, 05:51 PM
I have to say a few neutral comments:

1. 王老妈 -> This is almost never used. 王妈,王大妈,王嫂,王阿嫂,王太太 are the common terms.
2. 老妈 -> Yes, it's a slang, but it is a common slang.

mulligan
15th July 2006, 07:13 PM
There is enough information here presenting the merits of this name for a potential buyer to decide whether to buy or not.
No more comments please.