PDA

View Full Version : What time do IDN's drop ?

DomenForum.net
14th July 2006, 02:22 AM
Let's say domain drops on July 20, what is the EXAXT time on July 20 would it be available for registration ?

Olney
14th July 2006, 02:32 AM
I don't think anyone would reveal that....

DomenForum.net
14th July 2006, 02:54 AM
Well, one way or another I will find out an approximate timing, and few days later an exact timing. Once I find that out I will reveal that for sure.

There would be no market if nobody would reveal anything!

blastfromthepast
14th July 2006, 02:56 AM
I don't think it is appropriate to ask questions like this in a public forum.

DomenForum.net
14th July 2006, 03:51 AM
I don't think it is appropriate to ask questions like this in a public forum.
I do not think it is appropriate to keep this information top secret. In fact, that's what forums are for!

alpha
14th July 2006, 03:59 AM
I do not think it is appropriate to keep this information top secret. In fact, that's what forums are for!

The drop game is a highly competitive business for IDN's, mainly because the corporate catchers are not playing yet, meaning average Joe has a chance still - hence why I seriously doubt you will get a reply to this question.

If you do uncover the mystery and still fell compelled to post, please at least post it in the members area.

blastfromthepast
14th July 2006, 04:00 AM

Drops are competetive. The more people that are in the game, the less chance of anyone getting anything.

Also, if you post anything important, post in the members section so that it does not become part of the record and searched by the world.

Drewbert
14th July 2006, 04:41 AM
Your actions, if and when you figure out the drop, will tell us a lot about what sort of person you are and how much respect you have for other members of this board.

Just remember, the Internet never forgets and your reputation will follow you for the rest of your Internet life.

DomenForum.net
14th July 2006, 04:45 AM
So, your advise is to keep it in secret and not share very useful info with other members, or vice versa?

Drewbert
14th July 2006, 04:52 AM
People work very hard to obtain just an ounce of advantage in the very competitive domain drops.

If you figure it out all by yourself, you should pat yourself on the back and use the advantage you've just gained.

Giving out the information to a bunch of other people serves only 2 purposes - stroking of your own ego, giving yourself more competition, and pissing off all the people that already figured it out but guard it.

OK. 3 purposes.

idn
14th July 2006, 02:19 PM
Well, one way or another I will find out an approximate timing, and few days later an exact timing. Once I find that out I will reveal that for sure.

Very noble of you.

IDNCowboy
14th July 2006, 04:05 PM
Doesn't really matter if you reveal it to the public once you find out. Oregon Names picks up most of the idn drops nowadays. Chances of getting a drop is slim.

Rubber Duck
14th July 2006, 04:08 PM
When I was in that game, there was no exact timing.

I have packed it in as it was too cut throat for my taste.

Olney
14th July 2006, 04:57 PM
Wasn't those the good old days.
I picked up Anime.com as a drop, my internet connection went down & I got it like 8 to 12 hours at least after it dropped.
It was like me & Dave back then doing things by email.
More chance of seeing George Bush in a Lil' Jon music video than getting a drop like that left for hours now....

When I was in that game, there was no exact timing.

I have packed it in as it was too cut throat for my taste.

Explorer
14th July 2006, 04:59 PM

We all miss them :-)

thegenius1
14th July 2006, 05:01 PM
We all miss them :-)

LOL wasnt to long ago , I'm sure we will be saying this real soon about just looking at a decent name and not regging it ....

Rubber Duck
14th July 2006, 05:03 PM
I picked up Anime.com as a drop, my internet connection went down & I got it like 8 to 12 hours at least after it dropped.
It was like me & Dave back then doing things by email.
More chance of seeing George Bush in a Lil' Jon music video than getting a drop like that left for hours now....

Yes, heady times. I should have written it all down before I forgot most of it.

Those were the Salad Days!

Olney
14th July 2006, 05:22 PM
I guess the main point DomenForum is
you go & search for quality "real premium" drops
After you get about 5
Not just OK drops but like 5 undoubtable premium drops...

See how you feel about letting the world know what you went through to get those....

Rubber Duck
14th July 2006, 05:32 PM
Yes, I think all Newbies should try to drop a domain, then they would have some idea of what the game is all about.

Bimbo
20th December 2006, 04:50 AM
kiss

burnsinternet
20th December 2006, 05:47 AM
Bimbo, this is a very old thread. Things are very different for drops now. Don't judge these people without knowing what they have been through.

touchring
20th December 2006, 07:24 AM
They don't want to exchange in this forum....
i've got the same pbm about some 'little secret' about org...
pfff'

Hehe, i have to disagree.

Quite a few have shared valuable tips on this forum, i'm among the beneficiaries. :)

Burns let out some tips along the way, so has Gamma (where's the robot?), Drew (unknowingly :p) and Olney (during tbe beta stage of this forum - last year?).

These people know what they are doing, and they got great portfolios as testament to their knowledge.

Tips, being tips are usually short comments, which are unfortunately, often buried or intermixed in a whole lot of propaganda and "i support you", "i second you" replies. The key to success is to be able to differentiate genuine tips from the rest.

Rubber Duck
20th December 2006, 09:12 AM
They don't want to exchange in this forum....
i've got the same pbm about some 'little secret' about org...
pfff'

The drops game was extremely competitive when it was still possible to reg things manually. Initially, Snapnames did do IDN.

When they first started playing with things, they collected everything but because they did not know the value of it, it was dropping again about 3 days later. For a very short period indeed this information was extremely commercially sensitive. Nobody tells others what they intend to reg for themselves. That is not sharing that is suicide.

Anyway, don't worry your blonde head about it. Snapnames now scoop everything of value and if you want some of it you have to bid for it. Personally, I lost interest months ago.

touchring
20th December 2006, 09:29 AM
The drops game was extremely competitive when it was still possible to reg things manually. Initially, Snapnames did do IDN.

When they first started playing with things, they collected everything but because they did not know the value of it, it was dropping again about 3 days later. For a very short period indeed this information was extremely commercially sensitive. Nobody tells others what they intend to reg for themselves. That is not sharing that is suicide.

Anyway, don't worry your blonde head about it. Snapnames now scoop everything of value and if you want some of it you have to bid for it. Personally, I lost interest months ago.

I think Snaps not the only problem. Register.com and other registrars are now filtering and holding back the better idns when they would previously dump them. This reduces the amount of quality drops tremendously.

Last year around this time, there must be 10 times as many quality drops than as compared to now.

The lucky ones like Giant, RD and JC built up their portfolios during 2004 and 2005 when there was little competition.

mulligan
20th December 2006, 09:40 AM
Ahh, seems like only yesterday, hey.. it was only yesterday! (More or less)

Rubber Duck
20th December 2006, 10:20 AM
Ahh, seems like only yesterday, hey.. it was only yesterday! (More or less)

Those that say things will develop slowly over the next couple of years have little concept of the progress made in the last year.

When we started out in 2004, never mind Traffic and Overture, you couldn't even get Google Scores in many languages because they had yet to be indexed for search.

I know it is frustrating, but actually an awful lot has happened in a comparatively short time. What we were not aware of is the enourmous complexity of the project. Trust me though, the last few components are about to be installed before the engines are fired up. Once IE7 is widely distributed this enourmous bird is going to fuelled up with web content, before hurtling down the runway and soaring into the sky.

How many times in history have the naysayers said it would never fly?

touchring
20th December 2006, 11:49 AM
I won't be worried whether IDNs will fly, but i'll be more worried if the entire domain market collapses and we'll be swatting flies for the next four or five years because of poor sentiments.

The dot mobi hype debacle shows that the market has entered the irrational stage - whereby traditional valuation methods are no longer working and people go for lottery where the chance of winning anything is one out of a ten thousand. Ask the dot mobi fanatic why they think dot mobi will work, the answer they will provide will be the likes of "dot mobi success will make dot com look like nothing".

Rubber Duck
20th December 2006, 01:26 PM
I won't be worried whether IDNs will fly, but i'll be more worried if the entire domain market collapses and we'll be swatting flies for the next four or five years because of poor sentiments.

The dot mobi hype debacle shows that the market has entered the irrational stage - whereby traditional valuation methods are no longer working and people go for lottery where the chance of winning anything is one out of a ten thousand. Ask the dot mobi fanatic why they think dot mobi will work, the answer they will provide will be the likes of "dot mobi success will make dot com look like nothing".

It will be the death knell for alternative TLDs.

touchring
20th December 2006, 02:17 PM
It will be the death knell for alternative TLDs.

It's already happening - see this poll on DS - "Poll: Is the .biz market largely dead?" - http://domainstate.com/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=71673

Rubber Duck
20th December 2006, 02:30 PM
It's already happening - see this poll on DS - "Poll: Is the .biz market largely dead?" - http://domainstate.com/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=71673

Dot Biz was basically still born, which has been much the case with alternative TLDs to date.

What is different about dot Mobi is that it has shot for the stars right from the start. Unfortunately, the success to date seems to be based on misinformation and hype, some of which may have been done to deliberately rig the market. The problem is that unless the fundamentals catch up with the hype it is all going to end in a spectacular star burst.

Will those that hyped this care? Will this be the subject of endless back analysis at Traffics? Or will they just move on and try to hype dot Travel and dot Asia? Well, I think we all know that answer to that!

Bimbo
20th December 2006, 03:39 PM
The key to success is to be able to differentiate genuine tips from the rest.

The key to success is to find ALONE the tips.

rhys
20th December 2006, 07:14 PM
The IDN market has a very different rationale than TLDs and so I worry less than some of you. There is no doubt some speculative bubbles in the domain market but I think that IDNs so far lie way outside the boundaries of that bubble.

It is wonderful to live in a world now where IDNs are valued highly enough for the drop-catching services to care about it. It should only go up from here.

Rubber Duck
20th December 2006, 08:15 PM
It is high time that the dot mobi bubble was lanced.

If you wish to assist in this process which is ongoing, you might care to join us at:

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=197458

touchring
21st December 2006, 04:42 AM
Hehe, that debate is getting too hot. :)

Perhaps, RD, you should work on the subject of mobile user market size.

North America: xxx mil
Europe: xxx mil
China: xxx mil
India: xxx mil
Latin America: xxx mil
Brazil: xx mil

etc, etc.

Bimbo
22nd December 2006, 11:42 AM
Yes, it's a very BIG market, but....

- why Internet make money, now and not in 2000 ??

- because there's people who surf the web, buy, search.... more than in 2000.

- why ??

- because it's quasi free now with ADSL ... (in europe you have internet+tv+phone for 30€/$35 a month illimited, etc) when in 2000 you PAY EACH MINUTE (in europe it was the case)

- why there's a pbm with mobi ? why it risk not to work (immediatly) ?

- because people PAY BY MINUTES OF USE

add to this, the fact everyone have already internet at home (so no really need to use mobi)
add to this, lot of folks who buy as a lottery, and
you have a superb bubble

Wap, wap, wap pap a doo
wap pap pap wap pap a doo

blastfromthepast
22nd December 2006, 09:07 PM
- why there's a pbm with mobi ? why it risk not to work (immediatly) ?

- because people PAY BY MINUTES OF USE

Wrong. You pay by GPRS packet.

burnsinternet
22nd December 2006, 10:03 PM
I get unlimited use on my mobile for a few USD a month. No charge per anything and the 3G speed is very fast.

Few sites are set up for it, though, and a large monitor is so nice! That's why I use both.

Bimbo
23rd December 2006, 02:10 AM
Wrong. You pay by GPRS packet.

Yes you right,

but what i wanted to say, it's now often in the world the more you use, the more you pay.
And that a quiet big pbm now.

But in 2-5 years, probably no more pbm......

Burns could you tell us how it cost for you??

yanni
23rd December 2006, 03:02 AM
Don't forget that people in Europe in general are out in the streets mst of the time so the mobile phone is widely used. Of course, this doesn't mean .mobi will fly.