PDA

View Full Version : Chinese IDN.com Traffic?

Rubber Duck
15th July 2006, 07:32 PM
Well for all the Doubting Thomases out there, here is a screen shot of a single days traffic from Dopa. OK, the PPC are not wonderful, but anyone who says the Chinese won't type in or click through from IDN.com (Yes the ASCII version), is to put it politely talking out of their arse!

http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=07152006202655yw5.jpg

burnsinternet
15th July 2006, 07:44 PM
How long have you parked at Dopa?

Explorer
15th July 2006, 07:44 PM
Well for all the Doubting Thomases out there, here is a screen shot of a single days traffic from Dopa. OK, the PPC are not wonderful, but anyone who says the Chinese won't type in or click through from IDN.com (Yes the ASCII version), is to put it politely talking out of their arse!

http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=07152006202655yw5.jpg

Thanks for sharing that info. Are you getting pretty much the same amount of traffic when these domains were at SC? What's your sense?

Rubber Duck
15th July 2006, 07:45 PM
How long have you parked at Dopa?

This is the first full 24hrs.

Thanks for sharing that info. Are you getting pretty much the same amount of traffic when these domains were at SC? What's your sense?

I think I am getting the same as I would be getting, but a lot more than I was getting when I packed it in several months ago. If that makes any sense.

touchring
15th July 2006, 07:53 PM
1. Care to share what are the 1st 2 names with hundreds of views a day?
2. How many names did you park altogether at Dopa?
3. Has anyone parked at both Dopa and SC, what's the difference in average PPC between both of them?

That's why i advocate parking names after registration, if not, you would have sold off a gem for less than what you want!

:)

Explorer
15th July 2006, 07:55 PM
1. Care to share what are the 1st 2 names with hundreds of views a day?
2. How many names did you park altogether at Dopa?

2. 382 names. :-)

Rubber Duck
15th July 2006, 08:00 PM
2. 382 names. :-)

No there are more than that, not all name yet have traffic, and I guess many won't for some time.

The covered names are covered because I don't wish to share. Suffice it to say that they are not Generics.

touchring
15th July 2006, 08:13 PM
No there are more than that, not all name yet have traffic, and I guess many won't for some time.

The covered names are covered because I don't wish to share. Suffice it to say that they are not Generics.

Ok. didn't realise the window was placed intentionally. ;)

Chinese domains get a lot of traffic - i think most of us here agree, especially vis a vis Japanese, the difference is tremendous. This is a mystery that has to be unravelled somehow.

Rubber Duck
15th July 2006, 10:14 PM
Ok. didn't realise the window was placed intentionally. ;)

Chinese domains get a lot of traffic - i think most of us here agree, especially vis a vis Japanese, the difference is tremendous. This is a mystery that has to be unravelled somehow.

Well, I think the level of type-ins is primarily down to a higher level of browser support in China.

What is most puzzling is the low CTR for Japan, although one needs to be sure that something of interest is being presented. Ad Pool is very shallow, and keywords that work at the beginning of the month may run dry later.

thefabfive
15th July 2006, 11:18 PM
I just noticed this strange occurence from Dopa. The revenue jump is from a corresponding traffic and search increase, not increased CTR or PPC.

http://www.idns.ws/images/dopa1.jpg

Only a few domains were added from July 1 to July 15 and they don't figure in the increase. Anyone else seeing something similar? I'll have to see if it continues tomorrow.

Explorer
15th July 2006, 11:19 PM
I just noticed this strange occurence from Dopa.

http://www.idns.ws/images/dopa1.jpg

Only a few domains were added from July 1 to July 15 and they don't figure in the increase. Anyone else seeing something similar? I'll have to see if it continues tomorrow.

I had a huge pop like that on 15th on SC, but figured they credited my account for some missed clickes a week ago.

thefabfive
15th July 2006, 11:26 PM
I had a huge pop like that on 15th on SC, but figured they credited my account for some missed clickes a week ago.
Were the traffic levels normal on the 15th?

Explorer
15th July 2006, 11:32 PM
Were the traffic levels normal on the 15th?

3-4 times higher than the average, but 16th shows back to normal so far, but 16th isn't over yet in china?

Rubber Duck
15th July 2006, 11:35 PM
3-4 times higher than the average, but 16th shows back to normal so far, but 16th isn't over yet in china?

16th won't be over for another 16 hrs in China and has yet to start in the US?

Not only that the bit they have had so far has mainly involved everyone being in bed. Most people will be getting up and having Breakfast soon.

Explorer
15th July 2006, 11:40 PM
16th won't be over for another 16 hrs in China and has yet to start in the US?

Not only that the bit they have had so far has mainly involved everyone being in bed. Most people will be getting up and having Breakfast soon.

I just realized that. So, how can we explain a huge pop on the 15th (3-4 times the average) and the same huge (proportional) pop for a few hours of the 16th? Also, can some other SC or dopa parkers confirm the pops?

Rubber Duck
15th July 2006, 11:44 PM
I just realized that. So, how can we explain a huge pop on the 15th (3-4 times the average) and the same huge (proportional) pop for a few hours of the 16th? Also, can some other SC or dopa parkers confirm the pops?

Well in my case it cannot be adding back missed traffic as I have only just turned up.

The assumption must therefore be that the traffic is indeed real.

It may be that some improvement in the system somewhere is enabling me to get more traffic than I would have had previously, but it is not creating traffic from thin air.

Explorer
15th July 2006, 11:49 PM
Well in my case it cannot be adding back missed traffic as I have only just turned up.

The assumption must therefore be that the traffic is indeed real.

It may be that some improvement in the system somewhere is enabling me to get more traffic than I would have had previously, but it is not creating traffic from thin air.

Agree. Would be great if we could get some confirmation from other members as well. 3-4 times improvement is a very big deal.

Rubber Duck
16th July 2006, 12:21 AM
Agree. Would be great if we could get some confirmation from other members as well. 3-4 times improvement is a very big deal.

Actually, funny you should say that. Having just looked at my Arabic, they have shot up by a factor of 3-4 today as well. Of course they are at Namedrive and have nothing to do with all the DNS rigging that is going on in China. IE 7.0 isn't out is it? Or perhaps some advanced publicity that is changing people's navigation behaviour?

Giant
16th July 2006, 12:27 AM

If you still remember Mar 1st 2006, China made some changes to their domain system. My Chinese traffic dropped 50% in March, but the traffic came back slowly, and it's now around 85% of my traffic in February this year.

My traffic revenue at SC is not bad, I am happy with them, and hope they know how to make me more happier :)

I haven't got my stats updated for the last few days yet, I will let you know what happened with mine when they are ready.

Explorer
16th July 2006, 12:30 AM
If you still remember Mar 1st 2006, China made some changes to their domain system. My Chinese traffic dropped 50% in March, but the traffic came back slowly, and it's now around 85% of my traffic in February this year.

My traffic revenue at SC is not bad, I am happy with them, and hope they know how to make me more happier :)

So, you didn't see a huge pop yesterday and today?

Giant
16th July 2006, 12:32 AM
So, you didn't see a huge pop yesterday and today?

No, I still use the Chinese version. The stats are not updated yet.

Explorer
16th July 2006, 12:38 AM
No, I still use the Chinese version. The stats are not updated yet.

While the graph is not updated, I could see the numbers for 15th and 16th on SC home page.

Giant
16th July 2006, 12:44 AM
While the graph is not updated, I could see the numbers for 15th and 16th on SC home page.

Thanks. Yes, I just look at it:

Hits: 80% more
search: 110% more
clicks: 200% more

Gee, what happend?

Explorer
16th July 2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks. Yes, I just look at it:

Hits: 80% more
search: 110% more
clicks: 200% more

Gee, what happend?

That's exactly what I want to know!

Giant
16th July 2006, 12:53 AM
That's exactly what I want to know!

This looks like my February stats, because I have added a thousand names since March but my traffic is still only 85% of February.

I hope this is because China stop manipulating their ISPs, and this is the true stats.

Explorer
16th July 2006, 12:55 AM
This looks like my February stats, because I have added a thousand names since March but my traffic is still only 85% of February.

I hope this is because China stop manipulating their ISPs, and this is the true stats.

Well, we'll know pretty soon if it's sustainable.

alpha
16th July 2006, 12:56 AM
Well, we'll know pretty soon if it's sustainable.

is it possible it's another click-bot like the ND one?

Explorer
16th July 2006, 01:00 AM
is it possible it's another click-bot like the ND one?

I think that's a possibility as well.

Drewbert
16th July 2006, 01:06 AM
Comparing 15th to the 14th at Dopa, I had double the traffic, double the searches and double the revenue.

That's on 192 names.

Giant
16th July 2006, 01:11 AM
I think that's a possibility as well.

Yes, it could be a click-bot. But so far SC never had click-bot problem, they are one of the best companies I have seen in China.

Base on my stats, I can conclude it's not click-bot, because the stats are very reasonable.

Explorer
16th July 2006, 01:22 AM
Comparing 15th to the 14th at Dopa, I had double the traffic, double the searches and double the revenue.

That's on 192 names.

Thanks for sharing that.
I'll post the update on my numbers when full day (the 16th) is in, but so far it's tracking close to the 15th.

Giant
16th July 2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks for sharing that.
I'll post the update on my numbers when full day (the 16th) is in, but so far it's tracking close to the 15th.

Thanks. I just got an unofficial confirm, it's real traffic :)

Let's see what will happen tomorrow.

idnowner
16th July 2006, 02:34 AM
The covered names are covered because I don't wish to share.

I'll bet I can tell you what they are.

rhys
16th July 2006, 03:56 AM
I'll bet I can tell you what they are.

suspense builds.....yes idnowner....what is it?

idnowner
16th July 2006, 04:20 AM
suspense builds.....yes idnowner....what is it?

I think I should respect the Duck's wish for privacy. I'll post them, only if he says it's okay. All I'll say for now is that it is possible to figure the names out, from what he didn't cover up!

I wonder if anyone else can figure them out.

Rubber Duck
16th July 2006, 09:30 AM
I think I should respect the Duck's wish for privacy. I'll post them, only if he says it's okay. All I'll say for now is that it is possible to figure the names out, from what he didn't cover up!

I wonder if anyone else can figure them out.

Yes, I would rather it wasn't spread too widely at the moment.

I think I might try pointing one particular domain at its intended target to see whether that has any impact on traffic levels.

Explorer
16th July 2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks. I just got an unofficial confirm, it's real traffic :)

Let's see what will happen tomorrow.

The results for 16th are in. Not as good as 15th, but still triple the average.
Anyone else?

Rubber Duck
16th July 2006, 07:46 PM
Anyone else?

Tad down but generally consistent, I feel.

Drewbert
16th July 2006, 08:32 PM
My 16th is back down to normal :(

Giant
16th July 2006, 08:39 PM
Anyone else?

Yes, not as good as 15th, but still close to double of my normal average.

We have reasons to be happy about this, because the traffics are real, just the park system did not pick up up them before. Maybe some modifications have been done at the ISPs, or search engines, or browsers. Hope the surge will continue.

Drewbert
17th July 2006, 01:20 AM
Um.....

I've having trouble resolving ns2.dopa.com -> ns6.dopa.com

ns1.dopa.com is the only name server currently assigned an IP #

This could be having a big effect on our traffic.

Rubber Duck
17th July 2006, 03:45 PM
That's why i advocate parking names after registration, if not, you would have sold off a gem for less than what you want!

Yes, indeed. I realised a long time ago that there was traffic on Chinese Provinces.

What I hadn't entirely anticipated was that they would get good traffic with the 省.
Wish I had more of those.

touchring
17th July 2006, 03:52 PM
Yes, indeed. I realised a long time ago that there was traffic on Chinese Provinces.

What I hadn't entirely anticipated was that they would get good traffic with the 省.
Wish I had more of those.

There would definitely be some traffic - you got 50 million plugins out there based on old statistics. And users that do not have the plugin will be redirected to a plugin download page automatically if they try and access a .cn IDN. :)

Previously, it was because Sedo was blocked, so we didn't know for sure, although sometimes, the firewall was down, resulting in sudden spikes.

Rubber Duck
17th July 2006, 04:00 PM
There would definitely be some traffic - you got 50 million plugins out there based on old statistics. And users that do not have the plugin will be redirected to a plugin download page automatically if they try and access a .cn IDN. :)

Previously, it was because Sedo was blocked, so we didn't know for sure, although sometimes, the firewall was down, resulting in sudden spikes.

Well of my Generic Domains Provinces land more than anything else, but I somehow doubt that this represents traffic from 50 Million IDN enabled computers. If there truely are that many out there, then we are in serious trouble.

touchring
17th July 2006, 04:03 PM
Well of my Generic Domains Provinces land more than anything else, but I somehow doubt that this represents traffic from 50 Million IDN enabled computers. If there truely are that many out there, then we are in serious trouble.

The 50 million idn plugin is a bonus as it pays for reg fees for the names, but i'm only worried if they start upgrading IE7, and this clashes with the plugin, resulting IDN being disabled instead! And the only way is to uninstall the plugin or go to "Options, blah, blah, and disable the extension", hack, any technie can explain the steps?

So far with Beta3, the solution offered is the self-service disable plugin method. Should we get Microsoft to come out with a better solution? :(

Rubber Duck
17th July 2006, 04:09 PM
The 50 million idn plugin is a bonus as it pays for reg fees for the names, but i'm only worried if they start upgrading IE7, and this clashes with the plugin, resulting IDN being disabled instead! This is a very likely scenario - anyone knows how to inform Microsoft?

If there are that many Pluggins out there then we should be getting much, much more traffic. i-DNS, however, appear to be full of sh*t, so we can probably discount those statistics.

I don't think this will cause a problem for the installaton of IE 7.0. Microsoft is Beta Testing China, so they would no doubt be aware of issues. I was running a Verisign Pluggin on 6.0. It wasn't an issue because IE 6.0 had to be completely unistalled.

touchring
17th July 2006, 04:12 PM
If there are that many Pluggins out there then we should be getting much, much more traffic. i-DNS, however, appear to be full of sh*t, so we can probably discount those statistics.

I don't think this will cause a problem for the installaton of IE 7.0. Microsoft is Beta Testing China, so they would no doubt be aware of issues. I was running a Verisign Pluggin on 6.0. It wasn't an issue because IE 6.0 had to be completely unistalled.

Has anyone here done a technical analysis of the browser distribution for traffic from China, and maybe a comparison with stats from Japan? Sal? Olney?

kenne
17th July 2006, 04:44 PM
I'm seeing 2x usual weekend income for my Chinese domains. Monday's traffic is also 1.5x my normal Monday traffic.

Is this only happening to Chinese domains or other domains too?

I looked at one of my hosted domains, and didn't c the presence of any new browser.

touchring
17th July 2006, 05:10 PM
I'm seeing 2x usual weekend income for my Chinese domains. Monday's traffic is also 1.5x my normal Monday traffic.

Is this only happening to Chinese domains or other domains too?

I looked at one of my hosted domains, and didn't c the presence of any new browser.

Might be pent-up demand from 2-3 weeks of late nights (or rather early mornings) from World Cup. :p Just Joking.

Care to share the browser distribution for Chinese traffic?

kenne
17th July 2006, 05:25 PM
I don't really trust my data because:
1. not enough data
2. some of the traffic comes from IE6 via search engine, but they don't really support IDN

I'd love to see someone else's data if someone has a big collection...

Drewbert
17th July 2006, 06:26 PM
Um.....

I've having trouble resolving ns2.dopa.com -> ns6.dopa.com

ns1.dopa.com is the only name server currently assigned an IP #

This could be having a big effect on our traffic.

Bump.

Hello? McFly?

Rubber Duck
17th July 2006, 06:34 PM
Bump.

Hello? McFly?

Well, in which case it might make sense only to give the Registry the one that resolves?

Explorer
17th July 2006, 06:37 PM
Yes, not as good as 15th, but still close to double of my normal average.

We have reasons to be happy about this, because the traffics are real, just the park system did not pick up up them before. Maybe some modifications have been done at the ISPs, or search engines, or browsers. Hope the surge will continue.

The results for the 17th are in. Down from the 16th significantly and "only" 80% higher than the average.

Drewbert
17th July 2006, 06:41 PM
Well, in which case it might make sense only to give the Registry the one that resolves?

Or someone with a line into dopa gets them to fix the problem.

Rubber Duck
17th July 2006, 06:48 PM
Or someone with a line into dopa gets them to fix the problem.

Giant?

Giant
17th July 2006, 07:17 PM
Giant?

Sorry, I use 365.com, not dopa.com :)

I think they know what is happening.

The results for the 17th are in. Down from the 16th significantly and "only" 80% higher than the average.

Mine too :(