thegenius1
15th July 2006, 11:22 PM
Example:

mp3ダウンロード.com

tvガイド.com

av女優.com

映画dvd.com

ECT.

Due to the Fact it has been confirmend by members here that these Type of names can no longer be regd in Dot Com , I personally feel the Value of them has risen signifcantly and i dont even know if i could start to try and put a price on it. Anybody else have a opinion on this ?

thefabfive
15th July 2006, 11:30 PM
From an SEO standpoint I would say you are correct. If no one else can have these two terms (English + Japanese) in their domain name simultaneously than yours should have a nice advantage.

IDNCowboy
15th July 2006, 11:36 PM
:( Wish I had gotten some

Ben
15th July 2006, 11:41 PM
Does this mean if I drop £2.com then it will be gone forever?

Giant
15th July 2006, 11:47 PM
I think Japanese + Latin is allowed to reg. Chinese + Latin is ok too.

Rubber Duck
15th July 2006, 11:48 PM
As I understood it, it was only Latin and Cyrillics that could not be mixed. Why would anyone prevent mixing of Latin and Japanese?

No I don't personally see this change making these domains more valuable.

Example:

mp3ダウンロード.com

tvガイド.com

av女優.com

映画dvd.com

ECT.

Due to the Fact it has been confirmend by members here that these Type of names can no longer be regd in Dot Com , I personally feel the Value of them has risen signifcantly and i dont even know if i could start to try and put a price on it. Anybody else have a opinion on this ?

seamo
15th July 2006, 11:55 PM
It would be nice if it were true...I regged a few mixed scripts, including -

tvガイド.com
mp3プレーヤー.jp
mp4プレーヤー.com
hddレコーダー.jp
アニメdvd.jp

tvガイド.com is the best performing of the lot, and gets 10-15 type-ins a month so far.

alex
16th July 2006, 10:35 AM
I think Japanese + Latin is allowed to reg. Chinese + Latin is ok too.

Yes, I registered some new Japanese + Latin a few days ago. I think the intent is to prevent mixing of similar characters that could be mistaken for each other, which isn't an issue with asian languages.

OldIDNer
16th July 2006, 10:46 AM
My understanding is that cyrillic script (ex: Russian) has homographs so mixing is blocked to prevent spoofing. So you can't register apparently in use mixes like mp3player as you can in other languages/scripts.

blastfromthepast
16th July 2006, 10:55 AM
Anyone been able to register new regs like this recently?

The issue with Cyrillic amounts to an ethnocentric discrimination. Russian like Japanese uses words in Latin like DVD which can no longer be registered correctly.

OldIDNer
16th July 2006, 11:02 AM
I'm guessing though that these script mixes don't/can't resolve in unicode in IE7 and will only show in punycode as part of anti-spoofing security.

idn1234
16th July 2006, 11:11 AM

I don't see any value at all here, let alone a
rise in value.

I'm guessing though that these script mixes don't/can't resolve in unicode in IE7 and will only show in punycode as part of anti-spoofing security.

Yes they do, but you need to have the various
languages installed - in this case English and
Japanese.

OldIDNer
16th July 2006, 11:16 AM
Yes they do, but you need to have the various
languages installed - in this case English and
Japanese.

My understanding is that IE7 won't resolve a mix of scripts in one label even with both languages activated. I can't actually check it as I don't have access to IE7 right now.

blastfromthepast
16th July 2006, 11:18 AM
I don't see any value at all here, let alone a
rise in value.

Then you obviously don't understand how Latin letters are used in Asian and other languages.

idn1234
16th July 2006, 11:23 AM
tvガイド.com is the best performing of the lot, and gets 10-15 type-ins a month so far.

Can I ask how this domain gets 'type in' hits?
(are you promoting it somewhere?).

It's just that I can't imagine a scenario where
anyone (speculators included) would think to
a) type in a .com IDN that is a fairly unusual
term, and b) decide to change languages part
way through typing the term.

Regards

Mis-understanding cleared up!

My apologies, just realised these are decent
names; I wasn't thinking about the (valid) mixed
use with abbrev. words/terms like mp3, dvd, etc..

OldIDNer
16th July 2006, 11:29 AM
Just checked. You're right, they do resolve.

domainguru
16th July 2006, 12:07 PM
Can anyone clear up this whole "mixed script" issue.

When you attempt to register mixed Thai and ASCII, you get an error.

So what scripts can be mixed? Anyone have a definitive answer?

And where is the error coming from? Is there something in nameprep that disallows mixing of certain scripts but not others? If so, who decided this and when?

16th July 2006, 12:22 PM
Why was my international domain name (IDN) not registered?

Sometimes our domain search will say that your IDN is available, but we will not be able to register the domain for you. The problem is caused by one of the following reasons:

You did not enter the correct language tag for your IDN. We can usually fix this for you by changing the language tag for your IDN. But to prevent delays, try to enter the correct language tag for your domain.
The IDN you entered contains characters that are not supported. The central registries do not support every character for every language. For example, in Greek there are some characters that are actually the combination of 2 simpler characters. The registry will support the simpler characters, but not the combined character.
A variant of the IDN already exists. Some languages have 2 ways to write the same character. For example, Chinese has traditional characters and simplified characters. If someone has registered the traditional version of your IDN, then you are not allowed to register the simplified version.
The IDN you entered combines two different languages. Sometimes combining characters from 2 different languages into one IDN is not allowed. For example, a domain containing Cyrillic characters can not also have English characters. This is because the Cyrillic alphabet is related to the English alphabet, and combining characters from both languages could lead to confusion. Other language combinations are allowed, like Chinese and English. Unfortunately, the IDN domain seach will not detect these errors. The errors can not be detected until we try to register your IDN. If for some reason your IDN can not be registered, you will be issued an account credit which you can use to register another domain.