PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Traffic Question

burnsinternet
18th July 2006, 12:18 AM
Please comment.

My Japanese traffic has been pretty nonexistent despite having some good domains names. The stats would seem to indicate better traffic forecasts, but these are some that have had one view per month since registration:

Domain: おもしろ.jp
Punycode: xn--t8j0a6ivb.jp
Translation: Amusing/Funny
JP Ovt: 315,836
Google.jp: 9,850,000 Japanese pages
Yahoo.co.jp: 11,700,000 Japanese pages

Domain: 公募.com
Punycode: xn--55q28a.com
Translation: Public Offering
JP Ovt: 12,813
Google.jp: 11,300,000 Japanese pages
Yahoo.co.jp: 6,360,000 Japanese pages

Rubber Duck
18th July 2006, 12:24 AM
Japanese traffic is pretty thin, but I have made about $10 this month. You won't get huge numbers of clicks, but you might get some nice big ones on the right keywords. Upto about $5 a click is achievable.

Please comment.

My Japanese traffic has been pretty nonexistent despite having some good domains names. The stats would seem to indicate better traffic forecasts, but these are some that have had one view per month since registration:

Google.jp: 9,850,000 Japanese pages
Yahoo.co.jp: 11,700,000 Japanese pages

Domain: 公募.com
Punycode: xn--55q28a.com
Translation: Public Offering
JP Ovt: 12,813
Google.jp: 11,300,000 Japanese pages
Yahoo.co.jp: 6,360,000 Japanese pages

rhys
18th July 2006, 12:25 AM

Love this first one. That's a good reg, regardless of what the traffic is doing.

Giant
18th July 2006, 12:36 AM
Honestly, you won't get much traffic from Japanese domains except some good and popular ones.

IE7 will certainly increase your traffic, but don't expect too much either.

Thai domains are good for traffic revenue.

Olney
18th July 2006, 12:44 AM
I'm finding that Japanese domains get more traffic if they are indexed in search engines.

1. Set Categories in your parking service.
2. Optimize them in NameDrive or whatever by category (This is so you can optimize categories one at a time)
3. Create your own site to get backlinks.

I'm just noticing a major problem though...

I think I fingured out why the low traffic....

Rubber Duck
18th July 2006, 12:48 AM
Honestly, you won't get much traffic from Japanese domains except some good and popular ones.

Well, I am not convinced that you won't get an explosion of interest. The way Microsoft are lining up, I think we can expect a rapid roll out of IE 7.0. After October the only OS out there that won't support IDN without FF will be 2000. IE 6 will be pretty much dead meat. So as I see it we will definitely get the browser support.

There is currently not much by way of web content, but frankly why would anyone bother without he browser support. I would think content will come fairly rapidly even if much of it is initiallly in the form of URL forwarding. I don't think we will have to wait too long.

Giant's problem is that he has already slept through 3 Ice Ages waiting for this to happen. He is hardly likely to get excited now!

rhys
18th July 2006, 12:49 AM
I believe that the Japanese have to unlearn their current internet behavior which is to use a search engine or toolbar button and click.

It will happen in phases. I believe that type-in traffic will be limited on Japanese domains until Japanese brands start marketing IDN domains on major media. This will only occur post IE7 as it doesn't make sense to do so untilthen.

Then consumers will start to play around with typing in URLs directly practically for the first time ever.

Then as they get used to typing in URLs to go to their most common sites, they will start to play around and use URL type-in as the occasional replacement to conducting a yahoo or msn search. At that point, the whole type-in game for Japanese domains becomes very interesting!

I'd give the whole thing 2 years to really get off the ground. With that said, my japanese domains parked at namedrive this month have 47% of traffic coming from Asia and 100% of the click-throughs from asia. My highest pay per click was around $3. I'm on a run-rate to make about $30 this month from about 600 Japanese domains. It ain't great but it's awesome compared to my stats just last month!

Giant
18th July 2006, 12:51 AM
I'm finding that Japanese domains get more traffic if they are indexed in search engines.

1. Set Categories in your parking service.
2. Optimize them in NameDrive or whatever by category (This is so you can optimize categories one at a time)
3. Create your own site to get backlinks.

I'm just noticing a major problem though...

I think I fingured out why the low traffic....

You are right in some way.

Japnese don't go to any sites like the Chinese or Thais do, they are more careful.

Olney
18th July 2006, 01:00 AM
I figured it out
Please read this

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/5174-the-reason-why-japanese-traffic-is-low-theory.html

Yeah rhys I'm in the same boat I have a great career term that is bringing in about $3 a click.

I think me & your portfolio is about the same quality & same amount of IDNs...
Most aren't indexed at all yet, especially the jps...

IDNCowboy
18th July 2006, 01:05 AM

Do you have proof of this?
Japanese advertisers would most likely think otherwise as they know people are searching for the terms. Eventually it would seem that it would come naturally that people type in the .com.

Theres always the new generation that is coming into the world that can adapt to this.

rhys
18th July 2006, 01:07 AM
Japanese advertisers would most likely think otherwise as they know people are searching for the terms. Eventually it would seem that it would come naturally that people type in the .com.

Theres always the new generation that is coming into the world that can adapt to this.

I think my post above explains why you don't see as much traffic yet in Japan and the roadmap to see type-in traffic.

Giant
18th July 2006, 01:15 AM
I think my post above explains why you don't see as much traffic yet in Japan and the roadmap to see type-in traffic.

Yes, rhys is right and also my observation. If you want to know how Japanese surf web, they are like me.

-I don't type in any URL and go, no, I use search engine first, make sure the site is what I want, I click.

-But if the site I already visited before, then I would type in its URL and go directly to the site. These sites are some popular sites most people would remember.

-Japnese are more careful than people in China or Thailand because most Japanese use their own computer or computers at work, few in the net bar.

rhys
18th July 2006, 01:23 AM
Here's a cool indexing that did just happened today - if you go to yahoo.co.jp and insert "中田.net" (a domain I own) and look, my IDN is finally indexed and directly below you can see who I am displacing "nakata.net" (famous soccer player). OVT gives close to 1000 lookups a month to "中田.net" with the extension.

Giant
18th July 2006, 01:34 AM

I have some very good Japanese names with 1M OVT or more, and I tried them with different parking services. Results are almost the same, all are less then 100 hits per month, clicks are terribly low.

I don't expect Type-in of Japanese names will increase soon, we have to make use of search engines.

IDNCowboy
18th July 2006, 01:41 AM
I have some very good Japanese names with 1M OVT or more, and I tried them with different parking services. Results are almost the same, all are less then 100 hits per month, clicks are terribly low.

I don't expect Type-in of Japanese names will increase soon, we have to make use of search engines.
Good rankings can bring in hundreds of visitors/day from an SEO standpoint. Being pretty familiar with google it would seem that some tinkering here and there will yield some impressive results. I expect the same for IDNs.