PDA

View Full Version : I'm stuffed! And broke!

rhys
22nd January 2006, 12:48 AM
Anyone else been gorging on IDN .jp domains the last couple of weeks? The pickings are getting pretty slim now.

gammascalper
22nd January 2006, 01:01 AM
Anyone else been gorging on IDN .jp domains the last couple of weeks? The pickings are getting pretty slim now.

I thought the pickings were slim in .jp a few months ago, so hats off to you -- well done.

Care to show us a few?

rhys
2nd February 2006, 05:10 AM
I have about 150 .jp and 150 .com at this point with concentrations in verticles such as Adult, Sex Services, Fortune Telling, Travel, Soccer & Snowboarding.

Here are a few I like:
占い相談.jp "fortune telling consultation" 975K ovt
テレビアニメ.jp "television anime" 760K ovt
サッカー用品.jp "soccer equipment" 439K ovt
スノボー.jp sunobo "snowboarding" (colloquial) 428K ovt
動画大全集.jp "complete collection of movie clips" 300K ovt

glow
2nd February 2006, 05:42 AM
I have about 150 .jp and 150 .com at this point with concentrations in verticles such as Adult, Sex Services, Fortune Telling, Travel, Soccer & Snowboarding.

Here are a few I like:

Amazing domains! Is there any traffic?

Olney
2nd February 2006, 07:43 AM
I've held out on listing all my domains because I know as soon as I list them the dot jps will be bought up.
I haven't decided if I wanted them yet.

rhys
2nd February 2006, 09:08 AM
I've held out on listing all my domains because I know as soon as I list them the dot jps will be bought up.
I haven't decided if I wanted them yet.

Olney, you can't wait forever, someone will figure them out if you wait much longer. I'd say get an advance on your salary and just take them!

Rubber Duck
2nd February 2006, 09:47 AM
Olney, you can't wait forever, someone will figure them out if you wait much longer. I'd say get an advance on your salary and just take them!

I think you have have to understand that different people have different strategies. I think you could classify Olney as a Developer rather than a Speculator. He has focused on a comparatively small number of very good domains in a language with which he is familiar. I am sure he will do very well long-term but he is certainly not in the game of hoover up up anything that he perceives as potentially having value.

I remember being urged caution when I was buying Japanese Cities. Well I have made enough on those already to cover the renewals on the rest until the IDN market is flying, even it takes several years. Having said that much of my portfolio is way out on a limb. How many others are investing in Telugu, Kannada or Bengali? Mind you Thailand was looking highly speculative until recently, but interest there is now quite considerable!

Dave

Olney
2nd February 2006, 10:00 AM
Actually I'm about to spend some Yen & probably bump my portfolio from 49 IDNs to about 90 remember I wait because I believe they all have value.

rhys
2nd February 2006, 06:01 PM
I think you have have to understand that different people have different strategies. I think you could classify Olney as a Developer rather than a Speculator.
Dave

I thoroughly respect that people have different strategies and Olney is his own man who doesn't need my 2 cents. However, if Olney believes his own intuition with regards to the value of words on his "list" and he has the means, he should purchase his list. Especially given the amount of labor he is devoting to this endeavor, (which I appreciate as a fellow investor) but by his own description seems disproportionate with his capital investment.

Additionally, if we must sacrifice some domains to keep the others for a long march ahead, Olney like the rest of us may need some ammunition for down the road...

Sounds like Olney opened his wallet though. Good for you!

gammascalper
2nd February 2006, 06:02 PM
Don't forget that Olney has idnforums.com!

gammascalper
2nd February 2006, 06:05 PM

Here are a few I like:

Love スノボー.jp...

Two of the others look really familiar :-)

rhys
2nd February 2006, 06:22 PM
Don't forget that Olney has idnforums.com!

Ah...now that is a great point!

rhys
5th February 2006, 09:34 AM
Amazing domains! Is there any traffic?

Yes, like others there is "chatter" I can confirm on about 65% of my .com names. Had 18 hits in one day on one of them inexplicably (and it wasn't me). I haven't found the functionality where I can do this yet at jp-domains so I cannot say about my .jp domains, but I'm moving everything .jp to my hosting solution to throw up a construction page and monitor.