PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to find an estd. 'renter' for symbol traffic...

idn1234
18th July 2006, 01:08 PM
Hi

I've got a keyboard typeable symbol IDN domain
that gets quite a bit of type-in traffic and I am
hoping to find an established company (who are
in a particular industry type) to rent/lease the traffic
to.

Does anyone have any (creative, unusual) ideas
on how such companies could effectively be reached?
(e.g. PPC Overture ads, saying the traffic is for rent?...
or a fancy-dress type costume, where someone goes
around a particular area wearing a 3d costume version
of the symbol? (incl. TLD, of course!).

I would be especially grateful to hear any ideas you may
have about internet or outdoor promotion.

My budget could be around $2K, if I felt confident in finding
a credible co. to rent the traffic to.

Thanks

Rubber Duck
18th July 2006, 01:13 PM
Did I oversleep? Is it April 1st already? When did they release IE 7.0?

Hi

I've got a keyboard typeable symbol IDN domain
that gets quite a bit of type-in traffic and I am
hoping to find an established company (who are
in a particular industry type) to rent/lease the traffic
to.

Does anyone have any (creative, unusual) ideas
on how such companies could effectively be reached?
(e.g. PPC Overture ads, saying the traffic is for rent?...
or a fancy-dress type costume, where someone goes
around a particular area wearing a 3d costume version
of the symbol? (incl. TLD, of course!).

I would be especially grateful to hear any ideas you may
have about internet or outdoor promotion.

My budget could be around $2K, if I felt confident in finding
a credible co. to rent the traffic to.

Thanks

blastfromthepast
18th July 2006, 01:16 PM
You should wait until this is typeable by more than a small percentage of users. As we all are.

That said, if you have any legal paperwork or tips on domain leasing, please share.

idn1234
18th July 2006, 01:19 PM
Did I oversleep? Is it April 1st already? When did they release IE 7.0?

Thanks for your reply, but this is not a joke;
I want to find a credible party for the traffic
now and I do know that IE7 will have a further
(hopefully) dramatic impact on traffic and that
is something that i'd sort out with them on a
kind of performance-linked basis.

Rubber Duck
18th July 2006, 01:28 PM
It might be useful, if you could give an indication of a few facts. So far, we have no idea of how much traffic you would be talking about, but I doubt anyone would be interested unless it were very substantial. It might also be useful to have some idea of what extension and even the keyword were. I doubt it would make much commercial sense to for a company to brand on your symbol(s) unless they could buy it outright. Of course this is going to make a lot more later on, so that doesn't make much sense from your perspective. I think you should give serious consideration of developing a site for Adsense.

idn1234
18th July 2006, 01:52 PM
It might be useful, if you could give an indication of a few facts. So far, we have no idea of how much traffic you would be talking about, but I doubt anyone would be interested unless it were very substantial. It might also be useful to have some idea of what extension and even the keyword were. I doubt it would make much commercial sense to for a company to brand on your symbol(s) unless they could buy it outright. Of course this is going to make a lot more later on, so that doesn't make much sense from your perspective. I think you should give serious consideration of developing a site for Adsense.

Thanks very much, some great comments
there...

I'm very hesitant about developing the name
right now, as of course IE7 has not yet come
out and so I would like to find a company to
rent the traffic to for perhaps a year or two; in
the interim, IDN will then have had the chance
to become 'mainstream' and pretty much everyone
will then be able to access it.

Domain leasing is a very grey area, and unless
you are careful a company could try to promote
the domain themselves in some way. This would
not be acceptable, as I would only want them to
benefit from the <industry related> traffic and
nothing else.

As I say, I have in mind a performance-linked idea,
where they pay more according to the increase in
traffic. Yes, I am confident that IE7 will bring a hefty
increase in traffic and any arrangement with them
will take that in to account beforehand (I am not
going in to traffic levels here, since that was not
my original enquiry, but just to say that at the present
rate I would not be at a loss if $2K was paid to find a
long-term renter).

Anyway, are there any good ideas out there? (i'm
a youngish, outgoing bloke and don't mind if the idea
involves me looking foolish, or it's a bit of a risk...).

domainstosell
18th July 2006, 01:57 PM
I could offer banner ads on a site that I work for. There is a homes/rentals section on the site...

They are impression-based campaigns, cost is about $12 - $15 cpm. If nothing else, you get the name and idea out there.

idn1234
18th July 2006, 02:03 PM
I could offer banner ads on a site that I work for. There is a homes/rentals section on the site...

They are impression-based campaigns, cost is about $12 - $15 cpm. If nothing else, you get the name and idea out there.

Hi

Thank you very much for the offer, but banner
ads are not the way to go here.

touchring
18th July 2006, 02:12 PM
I do not think it's possible to rent out names at rates better than parking page PPC, otherwise, you won't have people parking domains with ten thousand views a day. Yes, there are claims of people being able to find someone to rent, but no proof given, and forums are full of baseless claims.

Rubber Duck
18th July 2006, 02:14 PM
I do not think it's possible to rent out names at rates better than parking page PPC. Yes, there are claims of people being able to do that, but no proof given, and forums are full of baseless claims.

On the other hand, he should have no problem finding someone to take his money.

Explorer
18th July 2006, 02:19 PM
I do not think it's possible to rent out names at rates better than parking page PPC, otherwise, you won't have people parking domains with ten thousand views a day. Yes, there are claims of people being able to find someone to rent, but no proof given, and forums are full of baseless claims.

I agree. Renting in ASCII market hasn't taken off due to many reasons, one of them is someone rents a domain, promotes it, get traffic and revenues only to return it to the owner later on. So, the owner of that domain just sits back, collects the rent from the renter and get his domain back with tons of new traffic. Great deal for the owner, but lousy one for the renter.

touchring
18th July 2006, 02:19 PM
On the other hand, he should have no problem finding someone to take his money.

That's quite true, the speculator element cannot be underestimated.

I actually tried to find direct advertisers for a website i ran. The website was established, in a niche industry and earns me over a K a month, and i suspect that Google is pocketing another K, or after 12 mths of adsense, i decided to try and do some direct marketing - but after emailing 50 potential advertisers and getting no response, i just gave up - i wasted half a day collecting the mailing list.

markits
18th July 2006, 02:20 PM
Sell million dollar idn pixel ads...

touchring
18th July 2006, 02:23 PM
I agree. Renting in ASCII market hasn't taken off due to many reasons, one of them is someone rents a domain, promotes it, get traffic and revenues only to return it to the owner later on. So, the owner of that domain just sits back, collects the rent from the renter and get his domain back with tons of new traffic. Great deal for the owner, but lousy one for the renter.

But this is how it works for commercial real estate - you rent a shopfront space, open a restaurant selling maybe japanese food, but you have to promote your shop. The owner just sits back and collect rent. If your business thrives, the owner will increase your rent after the lease agreement expires.

Explorer
18th July 2006, 02:27 PM
But this is how it works for commercial real estate - you rent a shopfront space, open a restaurant selling maybe japanese food, but you have to promote your shop. The owner just sits back and collect rent. If your business thrives, the owner will increase your rent after the lease agreement expires.

I think it's a little different. If the tenant leaves all of a sudden and takes his inventory/business with him, the owner is at a huge disadvantage, since he can't take advantage of the increased traffic to his now empty space and is not collecting rent. In the domain business, the owner simply switches his domain to a nice PPC engine and collects the money.

Rubber Duck
18th July 2006, 02:33 PM
I think it's a little different. If the tenant leaves all of a sudden and takes his inventory/business with him, the owner is at a huge disadvantage, since he can't take advantage of the increased traffic to his now empty space and is not collecting rent. In the domain business, the owner simply switches his domain to a nice PPC engine and collects the money.

Yes, the anology isn't very good really in many ways as renting a domain, is more akin to taking an advertising contract. At least a shop gives you a physical presence, which might be useful if you are trying to sell Japanese Food. Even if you had a domain for selling Japanese food, you won't get anywhere without a web design and hosting. You then also need either a Shop Premises or a Factory Unit from which to prepare and dispatch you product.

Explorer
18th July 2006, 02:36 PM
Yes, the anology isn't very good really in many ways as renting a domain, is more akin to taking an advertising contract. At least a shop gives you a physical presence, which might be useful if you are trying to sell Japanese Food. Even if you had a domain for selling Japanese food, you won't get anywhere without a web design and hosting. You then also need either a Shop Premises or a Factory Unit from which to prepare and dispatch you product.

That's why, as Blast hinted, the legal aspect of domain renting is the key.

idn1234
18th July 2006, 02:39 PM

Thanks for your comment, but just to clarify
no one is renting a domain here - I am only
looking to rent the traffic it generates (hopefully,
on a yrly/lease basis).

But, yes, you are right, actually renting a
domain (so that the owner may later reap
the benefit of yr hard work) hasn't taken off,
and for obvious reasons.

Rubber Duck
18th July 2006, 02:42 PM
That's why, as Blast hinted, the legal aspect of domain renting is the key.

I think the main problem here is that we are now taking a big departure from the basic philosophy of IDNing, which is that anything that has been achieved with ASCII can be transferred or copied onto IDN. Now what we are looking at is an apparently failed concept with ASCII being pioneered by IDN.

Thanks for your comment, but just to clarify
no one is renting a domain here - I am only
looking to rent the traffic it generates (hopefully,
on a yrly/lease basis).

But, yes, you are right, actually renting a
domain (so that the owner may later reap
the benefit of yr hard work) hasn't taken off,
and for obvious reasons.

Not clear on the distinction here. Either way your Client is going to be doing development work for your domain, only to be paying ever more from the traffic, or am I missing something?

blastfromthepast
18th July 2006, 02:46 PM
Can I ask you a question? Why do you type like this?

Thanks for your comment, but just to clarify PRESSED RETURN KEY HERE
no one is renting a domain here - I am only PRESSED RETURN KEY HERE
looking to rent the traffic it generates (hopefully, PRESSED RETURN KEY HERE

This isnt' a dumb terminal here, we have real word wrap.

Explorer
18th July 2006, 02:53 PM
Can I ask you a question? Why do you type like this?

Thanks for your comment, but just to clarify PRESSED RETURN KEY HERE
no one is renting a domain here - I am only PRESSED RETURN KEY HERE
looking to rent the traffic it generates (hopefully, PRESSED RETURN KEY HERE

This isnt' a dumb terminal here, we have real word wrap.

Maybe
we
all
should
be
typing
this? :-)

18th July 2006, 03:16 PM
If anyone needs a pro. contract for domain leasing pm me