PDA

View Full Version : lets say an IDN with a score of 2 million ovt

thehamptons
18th July 2006, 05:32 PM
for the pro's or those with some better insight.

"lets say an chinese or japanese IDN with a score of 2 million ovt"
what kind of traffic can you expect if the .com domain was registered?
and would it be considered a goldmine?

blastfromthepast
18th July 2006, 05:36 PM

Yes, a gold mine.

Traffic is still minimal on Japanese even with very high OVT like the example you posted.

Rubber Duck
18th July 2006, 05:39 PM

Overture search ranking is not the be and end all of everything. Worth checking to see if get Adwords and what its Overture Bid is, if it has one. Term with Overture Bid and Search are definitely very valuable.

http://uv.bidtool.overture.com/d/search/tools/bidtool/?Keywords=&mkt=jp

mulligan
18th July 2006, 05:41 PM
Unless its a trademark or an established companies name in which case they will most likely take it off you

rhys
18th July 2006, 05:41 PM

In the ASCII world the rule of thumb is that natural type-in traffic is 10% to 15% of its OVT score. I believe that is good for single word domains. I believe in most cases this is reduced significantly for multi-word domains. In Japan, people do not type in because the the ASCII domains are not memorable or difficult to spell. IDNs will change this so Japanese will start to type in once they go mainstream. So you should expect that once IE7 launches, it will take a couple of years for Japanese to really generate signficant type-in traffic.

The other way to use the domain is to get it indexed in search engines and bring in traffic through search engines. That is difficult to predict and depends on how successful you are at getting indexed.

In short, if you have a 2M+ OVT domain in Japanese and it is single word or even double word - you probably have something very special. Especially if it is a commercial term with lots of ads or an adult term. If the term is just a particle of speech or something else without much meaning, it is far less exciting.

thehamptons
18th July 2006, 05:59 PM
good input and exciting to know

Olney
18th July 2006, 06:41 PM
I would try to double check by comparing other things like Google trends.
www.google.com/trends/

If the term produces results by itself then it should be really good.

Above everything make sure it makes sense.

If it's something like 新聞 or an esasy generic IDN I'll save you the trip it's not registerable.

Is it something you own already?

thehamptons
18th July 2006, 11:37 PM
no its not that one its actually 4 IDN's I already own three chinese and one japanese with a few million on overture traffic is about 30 uniques per month for each and I was a bit concerned.

I would try to double check by comparing other things like Google trends.
www.google.com/trends/

If the term produces results by itself then it should be really good.

Above everything make sure it makes sense.

If it's something like 新聞 or an esasy generic IDN I'll save you the trip it's not registerable.

Is it something you own already?

rhys
19th July 2006, 12:29 AM
no its not that one its actually 4 IDN's I already own three chinese and one japanese with a few million on overture traffic is about 30 uniques per month for each and I was a bit concerned.

Welcome to the forum and now I'm curious about the Japanese one. Care to share what it is?

Olney
19th July 2006, 12:55 AM
Yeah actually you'll have me stumped to figure out a generic Japanese term between 1 to 3 million on OVTjp....

These are the ones I know

2027963 自動車 趣味
6084057 新聞 定期 購読
1588365 スポーツ 新聞
1445946 芸能 新聞
901922 ゲーム 趣味
1563172 地図
2205185 芸能人

I know there probably is more but is your term a generic? Not a TV show? or Magazine?
I would assume that you registered it a while back?

Edwin
19th July 2006, 03:52 AM
Some more high-OT Japanese keyphrases...

956812 占い相談
926668 占い
881413 旅行情報
1256703 音楽情報
802925 チャット
2014033 テレビメディア
1841605 テレビ局

Olney
19th July 2006, 04:25 AM
Yeah I forgot about テレビ局 even though I own that too.

Here's a few more
1693068 グラビアアイドル
2394144 アダルト
793852 アダルトビデオ
I can't think of any other adult terms that reaches the millions..

Of the ones presented so far in dot com I own 5 of them, sold 1, & think 2 or 3 are owned by other members here. I think 2 or 3 are owned by Japanese.

I forgot how few domains got over 1 million OVTjp results...

rhys
19th July 2006, 04:51 AM
I'll add a couple of my own favorites that are over a million OVT on a good month:

熟女 995,234 and
風俗 892,752

touchring
19th July 2006, 07:46 AM

Name of websites or trademarks?

Caution: Even with a million JP OVT, you may not get 30 uniques a month unless it's linked to some website, or there's another website with a similar name, or it has been promoted by some romaji website.