PDA

View Full Version : .COM vs .NET

holycow
22nd January 2006, 03:52 PM
During my search yesterday I came to realize that almost all of the good .COM are gone. In some cases, the .NET are still available. My question is this: given a choice between registering the .NET of what I considered to be a good name, or the .COM of a lesser name, which one would you pick? I know it is hard to generalize without using specific examples, but I'd like to hear what people rule of thumb is on this subject.

Thanks

g
22nd January 2006, 11:51 PM
You may be confused if you are going to register one name

but if you have a list of top .nets and top .coms available

I may be a little inclined to .coms but if the .net with very high OVT then ... get it

actually it is better to register them all at least to test the traffic:)

thefabfive
23rd January 2006, 12:14 AM
I agree with g, if the ovt is high I would get the .net. There aren't many choices for IDNs so I think the .nets will be fine for good keywords.

bwhhisc
23rd January 2006, 02:54 AM
For straight up sale of domains, I think the .com is worth more than the .net, especially to those already in the domain game who have seen this be favored with the current system.

Once a website is put under the domain name, it is going to be the strength of the website design, combined with the number of links to other sites, proper registration with the key search engines, and overall SEO. AT that point the best sites will win the top spots.

touchring
24th January 2006, 05:05 PM
.com is king for chinese sites, 90% of the top 100 chinese sites on Alexa are .com.

However, when choosing between server.net and freelinuxserver.com, i would still go for the better keyword - server.net.

Rubber Duck
24th January 2006, 05:49 PM
.com is king for chinese sites, 90% of the top 100 chinese sites on Alexa are .com.

However, when choosing between server.net and freelinuxserver.com, i would still go for the better keyword - server.net.

Dot nets are the Booby Prizes but in single word Generics or Cities they are still going to be worth good money. A good dot net will already go $200 to $300 dollars even to a hardened speculator. This does not compare with 4 figure sum you might get on a dot com but still valuable. I think eventually these domains will sell for anything up to 100 times the resell price you will get now, so a good dot net could be worth $20K in 3 years time.

Dave

seesawgame
26th January 2006, 09:51 AM
My IDN names are .net more than .com, because .com is gone and .net is useful by Taiwan people alway say Name+NET. (NAME WAN=網)
even the .com is gone but .net also is a not bad choice now. 8)

touchring
26th January 2006, 10:12 AM
Dot nets are the Booby Prizes but in single word Generics or Cities they are still going to be worth good money. A good dot net will already go $200 to $300 dollars even to a hardened speculator. This does not compare with 4 figure sum you might get on a dot com but still valuable. I think eventually these domains will sell for anything up to 100 times the resell price you will get now, so a good dot net could be worth $20K in 3 years time.

Dave

Yup, i'm the buyer, i can't get the other top chinese city .coms, so i decided to go for the .nets.

Xiamen.net, Dalian.net, Chongqing.net, Nanjing.net, Harbin.net and Hangzhou.net.