PDA

View Full Version : What we can to better IDN Parking until indexing issues are resolved

Olney
22nd July 2006, 12:40 AM
Ok guys I first want to thank NameDrive & Sedo both for promptly looking into the indexing Issue. Sedo has been contact by me also & is looking into the issue.

So I understand that optimizing an existing structure to accomodate for international SEO is not a quick task & could take a little while to test & to complete.

In the meanwhile if you use NameDrive I have some good tips to give.

If you have a commercial term with many bids you should search around for related keywords.

Use the preview mode & select the US...

Try out as many of those keywords until you get a Japanese ad displaying. Even 1 will do.

If you can find a related keyword that can produce an ad in the target language from the US, then the Google spider will index that as a site in the native language (or at least way better than having all English ads).

For Chinese there might even be more ads available than something like Japanese. Your best CTR should come from the target country so getting the site indexed so it shows up better in local Search Engines for related terms is the objective. Having just one or 2 relevant ads should help.

Hopes this helps a bit. I'd begin with domains that "should" get a lot of traffic first.

Also if you have 2 words in kanji, put a space between the words. On average 2 words or 1 work best...

blastfromthepast
22nd July 2006, 02:13 AM
No way to preview Chinese ads until someone comes up with Chinese translations for NameDrive.

Come on guys! Traditional Chinese would be great since it is not blocked.

alex
22nd July 2006, 05:51 AM
Well, I had a look through some of my Japanese IDNs parked at NameDrive to see how domains which show Japanese ads in the US region are indexed on Yahoo Japan.

Although Japanese ads are showing up in the US region now, I don't know whether Japanese ads were displayed when the domain was crawled.

9 domains with 1-3 Japanese ads are not indexed at all. In some cases the domain may be too new to have been indexed, but I think that some of them are as old as my other names which are indexed.

7 domains with 1-3 Japanese ads are listed in the "all web" search, but are not included in the "Japanese only" search results.

2 domains with Japanese ads are listed in the "Japanese only" results.

- One is a .net with one Japanese ad. The .com version of the name was formerly a Japanese site, but is no longer active.

- The other is a .com with two Japanese ads and one English ad. The name shows up in the "all web" search written as JapaneseCharacters.com, but the "Japanese only" results list the site as Punycode.com.

---

I also noticed that none of the search results for the parked pages showed a summary text snippet under their listings.

Conclusion: Using keywords that show Japanese ads in the US region may slightly increase the chances of your domain being listed in a "Japanese only" search, but it's no guarantee.

Figuring out why the site title and URL link for some domains are listed as Japanese characters and others as Punycode and fixing the problem should also be a priority. Since there is no summary or description text under the search entries for the parked pages, having a properly displayed native text URL makes the difference between a link being clicked or ignored.

I have a feeling that the English language header, footer and sidebar text and links may be a factor in determining the language of the site. For sites with Japanese ads in the US region that aren't listed in the "Japanese only" search, forcing the header, footer and sidebar to Japanese for all regions might improve their chances of being listed in a "Japanese only" search (if and when NameDrive implements this option).

Olney
22nd July 2006, 07:43 AM
Putting the whole thing in Japanese would improve the rankings.

Looking at the Search Only Japanese for testing now is good but Japanese people won't go to Yahoo Japan type in a word in Japanese & select "search only Japanese" but it's good to use this for testing now.

I also figured out why some domains are in Punycode & why some are not.

dot coms & nets with a Japanese "ー" in the word shows up as Punycode. This happens on Yahoo Japan, & Google.co.jp

It's like why Firefox displays dot coms & nets as punycode..
Dot jps don't ever get displayed as punycode...
Not in search engine results, not in any browsers.

It's an issue with IDNs & has nothing to do with NameDrive or Sedo they can't fix it.
The search engines can (I think)

I agree with you alex, it would be good if we can change it to one language as an option.

Rubber Duck
22nd July 2006, 08:15 AM
Ok guys I first want to thank NameDrive & Sedo both for promptly looking into the indexing Issue. Sedo has been contact by me also & is looking into the issue.

So I understand that optimizing an existing structure to accomodate for international SEO is not a quick task & could take a little while to test & to complete.

In the meanwhile if you use NameDrive I have some good tips to give.

If you have a commercial term with many bids you should search around for related keywords.

Use the preview mode & select the US...

Try out as many of those keywords until you get a Japanese ad displaying. Even 1 will do.

If you can find a related keyword that can produce an ad in the target language from the US, then the Google spider will index that as a site in the native language (or at least way better than having all English ads).

For Chinese there might even be more ads available than something like Japanese. Your best CTR should come from the target country so getting the site indexed so it shows up better in local Search Engines for related terms is the objective. Having just one or 2 relevant ads should help.

Hopes this helps a bit. I'd begin with domains that "should" get a lot of traffic first.

Also if you have 2 words in kanji, put a space between the words. On average 2 words or 1 work best...

This seems like a lot of work and a bit hit and miss. I think it is likely that the usual strategy of flipping keywords even totally unrelated once until you get sensible CTR and PPC, may very well produce same results. Having said that you should be flipping keywords with No Traffic as well, which I have not done until now!

Olney
22nd July 2006, 09:03 AM
It is a lot of work...
And for the Japanese market it's more important to be indexed in Yahoo Japan than Google.

If you have 600 domains & 50 or so get 2 to 5 uniques a day (average 3 uniques a day)

I'm averaging close to .50 a click with optimized domains

at a 30% CTR that would theoretically be able to produce about $650 a month (unless my math is off, which it could be since I'm tired)

These numbers shouldn't be hard to obtain if the domains were indexed with closely relevant text.

rhys
22nd July 2006, 01:47 PM
If we follow your advice Olney and find ads in the target language for the U.S. setting, it implies that the search engines do scan ads? Are we sure that this is true?

Do they scan them looking at the content or are they merely detecting the presence of a language?

Drewbert
22nd July 2006, 03:57 PM
I'm still waiting for ND to fix the Safari bug so can't even put kewords in for non-Latin domains :(

Olney
22nd July 2006, 04:29 PM
If we follow your advice Olney and find ads in the target language for the U.S. setting, it implies that the search engines do scan ads? Are we sure that this is true?

Do they scan them looking at the content or are they merely detecting the presence of a language?

I looked at the code & the ads are just in regular HTML so they should be able to be indexed.

I'm not suggesting using any keywords but something related if you can find it. If you just use anything CTR will be low, because the domain might not show up on relevant search results.

The way I look at I'm not making anything from US traffic anyway, are you guys? This "theoretically" can help some of us that have good domains in commercial areas.

Olney
22nd July 2006, 04:31 PM
Why don't you try using Firefox? Is it just with Thai?

I'm still waiting for ND to fix the Safari bug so can't even put kewords in for non-Latin domains :(

blastfromthepast
22nd July 2006, 04:52 PM

The fix involves adding an accept-charset variable to the form.

Drewbert
22nd July 2006, 06:07 PM
The fix involves adding an accept-charset variable to the form.

Gee, that sounds difficult!

</sarcasm>

Why don't you try using Firefox? Is it just with Thai?

I've got about 100 windows/tabs open in Safari and that's taking up most of the available RAM. If I start up FireFox I enter pageswapping hell.

Not just Thai, ALL non-latin (UTF8) chars.

blastfromthepast
22nd July 2006, 06:16 PM
Gee, that sounds difficult!

<form accept-charset="utf-8" method=post action="./droit.pl"><input type=hidden name=context value='1'>