PDA

View Full Version : Sedo Parking and Adwords in Japan

Rubber Duck
23rd September 2005, 08:18 AM
Further Clarification from Sedo:

<<Our parking pages and the advertisements are generated based on a number of factors including, the IP address of the visitor, the language setting of the visitor's browser and the language setting of the domain.

The advertisements which appear in the google search results differ slightly from the ads displayed on Sedo's parking pages as they are pulled from different feeds. >>

There appears to be a fundamental misunderstanding relating to my intial posting.

Having spoken to Sedo as the issue appeared to affect ccTLD results as well, it would appear that the Adword listing displayed have no bearing on which version of Google you are using, but rather where your IP addressed is logged.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

I have been doing quite a bit of work trying to improve conversion of traffic on Japanese and Chinese IDN parked at Sedo in to clicks and revenue.

I have come across a fundamental problem with the way site currently works.

I have identified search terms in from www.google.jp that produce large numbers of Adword listings and used these as keywords in the parking programme. I was please to see that this gave me some listing in the Japanese language, as I regard this as critical for the enterprise to work.

However, it has become clear that the Adwords listing that are presented when the domains are typed in are very limited indeed. This is because Google has localised its services and Japanese Adwords subscribers are in general only paying for results that are searched from www.google.com rather than those from www.google.jp.

It is essential if we are going to be successful that the Sedo parking programme displays the full Adwords listings from Japan. These are clearly either part of a separate database or tagged within the main database, so they are not current displayed by the Sedo parking programme.

A similar situation will result with China, but for the moment it is largely academic as the Adwords programme there is currently so sparsely populated.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

imported_admin
5th October 2005, 04:30 AM
I say let's put this to the test to see if Japanese ads are really displayed.
Sorry not being on the site for 2 weeks but I'm back in Tokyo.

Theoretically your Japanese domains that are parked on the Chinese version of Sedo should show Japanese ads.

Please post some URLs & I'll take a look for you. I think before you said that they didn't show for you before because you are not in Asia. I'm in Tokyo on a Japanese computer using a Japanese browser so I'll check.

I also can't stop expressing that it's an incredibly big mistake for Sedo to combine Japanese parking with the Chinese Sedo site.

Japanese people CAN NOT read Chinese. The Characters give completely different meanings in Japanese. Mass use of the site by Japanese as is, is not a possibility unless they make a native Japanese version.

Rubber Duck
5th October 2005, 08:53 AM
Hi,

You could try some of these:

サークル.com xn--pckl7noc.com
プログラム.com xn--qck0d2a9as.com
イタリア.com xn--cckd5f6h.com
おいしい.com xn--n8jaq7c.com

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Rubber Duck
8th October 2005, 07:54 PM
Craig,

This Google Adwords thing is much more complexed than I had realised.

Adwords now allows targeting of advertisements by Language, Country, Region, City or Customized areas.

Obviously, if you do keyword searches from the UK, you won't see a lot of the advertising in Japan and China. Even if you use the local interface, unless you have it switched to the appropriate language you are unlikely to get anything and even then if your IP address gives you away as being outside the territory, not much is likely to get displayed.

It would therefore seem that my assumptions that Adwords in China is not populated could be completely and utterly false. Frankly I have no way of knowing.

It may well be the real problem that we are all facing is not lack of properly targeted adverts but traffic from within the relevant territories. Since I have switched to local keywords my conversion rates actually appear to have dropped off. Not surprising if much of the traffic is actually US based speculators.

It seems to me that the main problem we are encountering, is that both China and Japan have been pushing IDN plug-ins for IE that only support their own TLDs and not the gTLDs. This probably leaves most concluding that Local Characters only work in the Local Domain.

I don't think therefore that we can expect much in the way of traffic and revenue until IE 7.0 comes out and the local plug-ins go the journey along with IE 6.0.

Any feed back from your surfing over there would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Olney
9th October 2005, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure about when the new IE will come out but I do expect that to very much affect the IDN market.

For only buying since September I realize it's probably going to take 6 months after the new IE is out for our traffic to pick up signicantly. That's why it's more important that you keep your portfolio now. Japan depends a bit more on IE but I expect Japan type ins to be from Mac or FireFox browsers users only which is not the mainstream.

Our IDN for High School Baseball the term just has so much searches we are getting type ins but less that 100 a month.

As far as Adwords.

I assumed you guys knew that the GEO targetting really is based on the country you are surfing in. So my assumption was wrong I can see Japanese Adsense Ads on some of your sites. I also see some English ones too. Possible because an international advertiser is making higher bids.

Sorry for the late responses but my Mac was broken on the way to Tokyo & my free time on another computer is a bit limited for a little while.

Rubber Duck
9th October 2005, 02:34 PM
My understanding is that Firefox is little used in Japan, and then probably only by those who are quite confortable surfing in English.

I think you may be surprised as how quick the EI 7.0 think might take effect. The dot JP registry has already primed things with the distribution of its own plug-in so many will understand the concept, but might think that IDN don't work in gTLDs. The roll out of IE 7.0 should be rapid as it will automatically update to XP service pack 2.

Your traffic is consistent with mine.

Adwords is becoming very sophisticated and multi-lingual. It going to take the far east by storm. Local business will be able to target their local town, without paying for searches outside their local area. Watch this space!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon