PDA

View Full Version : No Russian IDNs really going for alot on IDNF ........ but on snapnames jeeeeez

IDNCowboy
24th July 2006, 03:43 AM
!!!!!!!

touchring
24th July 2006, 03:47 AM
Yes, actually, Snap's a bad place to acquire names. Many have been burnt. :o

bwhhisc
24th July 2006, 03:49 AM
Yes, actually, Snap's a bad place to acquire names. Many have been burnt. :o

Can you elaborate on that?

touchring
24th July 2006, 03:51 AM
There's lots of ego involved in bidding, many bidders just can't lose. A name is just a name, but people get emotional - i just let go, i can find better names at better price.

Giant
24th July 2006, 03:54 AM
There's lots of ego involved in bidding, many bidders just can't lose. A name is just a name, but people get emotional - i just let go, i can find better names at better price.

I don't think so. You can find a lot of experienced domainers there, including our own Drewbert :)

IDNCowboy
24th July 2006, 03:56 AM
I don't think so. You can find a lot of experienced domainers there, including our own Drewbert :)
Bidding is fierce

touchring
24th July 2006, 03:56 AM

Yes, agree, but even Drewbert feels that letting snap earn excessively is really a stupid thing. A smart businessman is one that minimises his costs, and not one that flaunts his wealth. Hehe, Drew is strangely quiet these days.

alpha
24th July 2006, 04:35 AM
Bidding is fierce

It is. But you need to bid with your head and not your ego.

IDNCowboy
24th July 2006, 04:53 AM
It is. But you need to bid with your head and not your ego.
whatcha mean

Drewbert
24th July 2006, 05:09 AM
Yeah.

If you're fairly sure you can on-sell a name at $50000 quickly, then by all means bid one up to $5000.

But I'm in it for long term revenue, so the more I pay for a name, the longer it takes to get it out of the red and into the black.

And that hurts my scottish genes severely.

alex
24th July 2006, 05:15 AM
I don't know if it's true or not, but I read a post by someone on one of the ASCII forums a while back that said he couldn't sell his domain after months of listing it a low $XXX, so he dropped it. Then it went for $X,XXX in the drop auction. He said he wishes he could sell all his names at drop prices.

touchring
24th July 2006, 05:36 AM
I don't know if it's true or not, but I read a post by someone on one of the ASCII forums a while back that said he couldn't sell his domain after months of listing it a low $XXX, so he dropped it. Then it went for $X,XXX in the drop auction. He said he wishes he could sell all his names at drop prices.

Hehe, you know what, i was thinking about it - how to sell at drop prices.

thegenius1
24th July 2006, 05:46 AM

That is why one of my Best Ascii domains is LiveDNA.com was planning on opening a Live Domain Name Auction site prior to IDN's not sure if i will ever get around to it. But the plan was to benift from the ego's because Live Auctions are like a manly sport they are far more competitive and intresting then lets say your typical ebay style auction

Most likely wont get around to running it

LiveDNA.com x,xxx offer via pm w/ Biz Plan

Drewbert
24th July 2006, 05:59 AM
Yeah. If I could run all my ascii names through snap as drops and get a decent %age from Snap for doing so, I'd have a crap load of money to play with.

Rubber Duck
24th July 2006, 08:52 AM
I think one of the reasons in the ASCII market that things get a lttle competitive is that Snapnames gets out their to end users. These guys turn up with one purpose in mind and know exactly why they want the domain.

alpha
24th July 2006, 09:30 AM
It's not just about the money though... Russian names got a real bad name for themselves on IDNF, plus if you add in the complication over the Russian language that we westerners just can't seem to figure out ("of... " or "is....") etc...

when you see a name in an auction that native Russians are bidding for - theres no wonder it creates a stir. It might as well read "100% translation guaranteed".

burnsinternet
24th July 2006, 09:48 AM
Buyer beware! :p