PDA

View Full Version : ASCII/IDN teamworking on a globally recognised generic ASCII term.......

chaumi
25th July 2006, 07:35 AM
Is it possible to.....

Form a team of between 5 and 10 guys who barely know each other, possibly spread right across the globe. Working together with trust and understanding for the collective and personal good on a development project. Using combined knowledge and effort, and with a project plan and rules determined clearly by the team at the outset.

Focus the team on development of an ASCII term website, which arguably/effectively crosses any divide between IDN and ASCII. Recognised in its ASCII form in probably every country. Fully future-proof. With the potential for local language development in every script, along with local affiliate and search advertising income, and either forwarding of relevant IDNs to the site or links off to developed IDN sites.

Develop the site to become one of the most widely known of its type worldwide, with sufficient income (either directly or indirectly by association) to either heavily supplement other future IDN income, and/or warrant future sale value to realise six/seven figures for each of the team.

Now the dodgy bit - the name in question is available in one of the lesser known extensions. The .com and .net would possibly be in telephone numbers if available.

If this is achievable, it's highly likely that the most suitable and best motivated team for this are members of this forum.

Am I daydreaming? On a different planet? Are the logistics too complicated?

idn1234
25th July 2006, 10:29 AM
If this is achievable, it's highly likely that the most suitable and best motivated team for this are members of this forum.

Hi

I think it is important to realise that most (maybe
all) members of this forum have little-to-no business
building experience - they are, for the most part
speculators, and their main/only goal is to make
money out of the growth of IDN.

Of course, this in itself is a kind of business activity
but it has little to do with the task of actually building
a business.

Another consideration is having a 'team' who may be
disbursed throughout the world... How can they be
managed effectively?... (new telecom opportunities
e.g. better video-conferencing over the web, will make
this more practicable but there are very good reasons
as to why companies have teams that work together
visually/physically).

blastfromthepast
25th July 2006, 11:17 AM
That is a good idea.

IDNCowboy
25th July 2006, 12:17 PM
Hi

a business.

visually/physically).
This is a business. Besides, most of the people here have jobs. I don't know where you get your info from.

touchring
25th July 2006, 12:24 PM
Hi

a business.

visually/physically).

Hehe, there are those that treat idn as business - buy names at low prices and sell at higher price - arbitrage. Just open the for sale forum, and you would find them.

There are also people that treat them as little real estate - buy and maybe park - collect little rentals, and hope that they would appreciate. :p

alpha
25th July 2006, 01:20 PM
Hi

a business.

visually/physically).

.. and don't forget we're all nerds too

blastfromthepast
25th July 2006, 01:22 PM

Absolutely not. No business building experience what-so-ever. And no social skills either.

mulligan
25th July 2006, 01:34 PM
Hi

You have made some very sweeping statements about people on this forum of late and I can find no basis in truth or fact to substantiate them, no matter where I look...

idn1234
25th July 2006, 01:55 PM
Ok, great... prove me wrong. Lets hear all about
the (successful) businesses that members on
this forum have created.

If I am proved wrong, I will publicly apologise
for my earlier comment. Fair enough?

thefabfive
25th July 2006, 02:21 PM
Don't feed the troll.

idn1234
25th July 2006, 02:25 PM
Don't feed the troll.

Is that one of your businesses fab5?

touchring
25th July 2006, 02:29 PM
this forum have created.

Hehe, i'm afraid you'll get no info - businessmen have no time for child activity and no one wants to give away their identity. There are all sorts of people on this forum, and i won't be surprised if an ocassion billionaire even pops by. Wealthy people got hobbies as well. :)

bwhhisc
25th July 2006, 02:35 PM
the (successful) businesses that members on this forum have created.
If I am proved wrong, I will publicly apologise for my earlier comment. Fair enough?

We have over 100 employees staffing these business operations.
www.meetingdynamics.com (Convention Services- Special Events)
www.propworld.com (Manufacturing Scenery- Main line Fiberglass Statuary)
www.kingswharf.com (Resort Conference Center Management, 2 Restaurants, Catering, 12,000 s.f Grand Ballroom/ Exhibit Space)

rhys
25th July 2006, 02:43 PM
this forum have created.

I have an mba in finance from wharton, work experience at goldman sachs and mckinsey, and have run a retail business with annual turnover of over $120 million dollars. i like to think that i know a little bit about business.

idn1234
25th July 2006, 02:59 PM
We have over 100 employees staffing these business operations.
www.meetingdynamics.com (Convention Services- Special Events)
www.propworld.com (Manufacturing Scenery- Main line Fiberglass Statuary)
www.kingswharf.com (Resort Conference Center Management, 2 Restaurants, Catering, 12,000 s.f Grand Ballroom/ Exhibit Space)

Do these businesses belong to you Bill?

I have an mba in finance from wharton, work experience at goldman sachs and mckinsey, and have run a retail business with annual turnover of over $120 million dollars. i like to think that i know a little bit about business.

Thank you Rhys; what business are you
referring to and when did you run it?

gammascalper
25th July 2006, 03:01 PM
Don't feed the troll.

Do you hear the Blue Oyster Cult?

alpha
25th July 2006, 03:06 PM
this forum have created.

You mean like selling Aloe vera?

thegenius1
25th July 2006, 04:21 PM
There are all sorts of people on this forum, and i won't be surprised if an ocassion billionaire even pops by.

Im almost sure of it ! :o

Who ownes the 10million dollar + home would you mind standing up to hush this character

chaumi
25th July 2006, 04:58 PM
OK, that's enough. Please!

In an attempt to get back on track, I was anticipating some valuable opinion/viewpoints on the original post. I'll set up another thread so you can all continue your fun with IDN1234.

Here's the original....

Is it possible to.....

Form a team of between 5 and 10 guys who barely know each other, possibly spread right across the globe. Working together with trust and understanding for the collective and personal good on a development project. Using combined knowledge and effort, and with a project plan and rules determined clearly by the team at the outset.

Focus the team on development of an ASCII term website, which arguably/effectively crosses any divide between IDN and ASCII. Recognised in its ASCII form in probably every country. Fully future-proof. With the potential for local language development in every script, along with local affiliate and search advertising income, and either forwarding of relevant IDNs to the site or links off to developed IDN sites.

Develop the site to become one of the most widely known of its type worldwide, with sufficient income (either directly or indirectly by association) to either heavily supplement other future IDN income, and/or warrant future sale value to realise six/seven figures for each of the team.

Now the dodgy bit - the name in question is available in one of the lesser known extensions. The .com and .net would possibly be in telephone numbers if available.

bwhhisc
25th July 2006, 05:13 PM
Do these businesses belong to you Bill??

Yes, I am 100% stockholder in all, and have the scars to prove it. lol Prior to I worked over 10 years for Marriott International. Also happen to know a few others here that have major International business experience, and some that work for Fortune 500 companies that probably won't speak up. Also graduates of the likes of Wharton Business School, Harvard, etc.
There is an immense amount of talent here.

Drewbert
25th July 2006, 08:06 PM
Do these businesses belong to you Bill?

Thank you Rhys; what business are you
referring to and when did you run it?

What is this? The Spanish Inquisition?

alpha
25th July 2006, 08:35 PM
what business are you in idn1234?

bwhhisc
25th July 2006, 10:05 PM
From what I know about members here we have an all-in-all impressive bunch. I think if you follow along with the IDNF threads long enough you learn can't help but learn a bit about everyone over time.

There is no doubt a few dozen expert domainers here, and some extremely knowledable IT experts, computer systems sales managers, stock brokers, statisticians, and then a hodge podge of the rest of us (self included).

Taking sum of all the skills that the members here possess, it's a pretty formidable mix of talent. The idea to explore any strategic alliances, or lay some groundwork towards the development end of idns might be a good one to explore for those that are interested.

bramiozo
25th July 2006, 10:23 PM
Do you hear the Blue Oyster Cult?

Isn't that the 'special' bar from police academy...?

I am for a collaboration, I am doubtful whether or not personal contact is required to build trust and to concentrate the minds on a single combined effort but I do feel that if we had more direct contact a business initiative would have been started months ago.
Let's just say the main thing standing in the way of starting this business venture is eye contact.

Obviously we dó have people here with a melee of competencies, whether that blendedness amounts to completeness is very much the question but as I see it the level of thought of the people here should be more than sufficient to build an online business which has the potential of being successful, it becoming successful or not depends on the effort put in (and the capital allocated to marketing).

Investing a safe amount of money in potentially emerging markets is wise, investing a large amount of money in a new business with people you vaguely know, that's bold or foolish, depending on the outcome.

Remember, effort ís money.