PDA

View Full Version : Anyone reggin japanese idns with other characters such as "の" etc?

IDNCowboy
26th July 2006, 01:46 AM
の - in the middle or the japanese hypthen etc

Edwin
26th July 2006, 02:23 AM
The Japanese hyphen isn't a hyphen!

I see a lot of confusion about this, it's basically a way to transform certain letters into other letters, a bit like an accent in French.

So "ア" is a short "ah" and "アー" is a long "ah" and both have their rightful place in the language. It's true that there are SOME cases where either could arguably be used, because the word being transliterated from a foreign language sounds like it could go either way, but MOST of the time there is a single correct form.

For example, ホームページ means "homepage" but ホムペジ is just garbage (at best, a pretty horrible typo).

Olney
26th July 2006, 02:32 AM
The symbol that looks like a hyphen is called "Nobasu"
If any of us that speak Japanese say generally not to use it, people will take that as a rule for all domains.
Even the の character. It's a legit character & a common character for many words(end, beginning, middle).

Get the word you want translated.. Unfortunately online dictionaries may not help on giving honorifics in Japanese. I'm bad at honorics too.

It's all case by case...

There incorrect use has come on the site occasionally but I believe most are not making mistakes...

sunsei21
26th July 2006, 02:37 AM
i have a few i regged not paying attention not sure they are even correct

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 09:16 AM
の - in the middle or the japanese hypthen etc

The の character seems to be optional and even preferred in the middle of some two word combos. Although, I think you might get some cranky results from Overture with this character. It just seems you have to go at it case by case and to look at it from several angles and try to use some judgement. Be very careful registering large series of domains based on a certain forumula, unless you are really quite sure.

Edwin
26th July 2006, 12:47 PM
It's not optional - it's a link word that is used in certain contexts, like "of". There are some expressions that will make no sense at all without it, even though Overture strips it out. Japanese speakers automatically know when to use it or not, it's only if you're grappling in the dark armed only with Overture, a dictionary and Google that it seems confusing.

Please listen to the folks who speak the language!

alex
26th July 2006, 12:49 PM
I am getting views and some clicks on a few の domains.

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 01:01 PM
OK, this is a sample of what I have gathered. I am sure some of them are complete nonsense, but fire away. We might all learn something.

東京のバイト
東京の仕事
東京の住宅
東京の塾
東京の求人
東京の派遣
東京の結婚
東京の融資
東京の転職
家での仕事
愛知の不動産

alpha
26th July 2006, 01:06 PM
what about this one? 男の子 I can't see any reference to it being used without the lop-sided 6

Edwin
26th July 2006, 01:53 PM
"男の子" means "boy". That's THE way of writing boy so there's no "other" version of it.

As I've already tried to explain, the "の" is often not an optional thing at all, but an integral part of a word or compound word.

sunsei21
26th July 2006, 02:08 PM
here are a few of the ones i regged when i was cutting and pasting terms together
didnt really notice the symbol until later on was keeping them in the dont renew this crap folder :p
藤沢のアパート.com
福井のアパート.com
福岡のアパート.com

jose
26th July 2006, 05:36 PM
Here's a nice FREE .com with の:

xn--u9j009k9o0ay6hxnbji.com, 鋼の錬金術師, 2.690.000 Google with nice Google Trends and 160.329 !!! OVT JP

Babel gives me "Alchemy teacher of steel" lol. TM alert!.

Edwin
26th July 2006, 10:28 PM
Here's a nice FREE .com with の:

xn--u9j009k9o0ay6hxnbji.com, 鋼の錬金術師, 2.690.000 Google with nice Google Trends and 160.329 !!! OVT JP

Babel gives me "Alchemy teacher of steel" lol. TM alert!.

That's "Full Metal Alchemist", a popular anime which would consequently be a massive TM violation. Hope nobody here is stupid enough to register it!

sarcle
26th July 2006, 11:03 PM
レポートの書き方 (How to Write a Report)

Google Trends for レポートの書き方
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/7862/reportlf5.png

There are no google trends without the の . It's needed in some cases.

So make sure you do a Serp before you register. My thoughts anyways.

jose
26th July 2006, 11:11 PM
How about just register it, profit from some nice parking and, the moment they ask for it, hand it out right away without any further questions.

thegenius1
26th July 2006, 11:15 PM
How about just register it, profit from some nice parking and, the moment they ask for it, hand it out right away without any further questions.

Com on jose you cant really be asking this , as much as everybody here frowns upon Blatent TM reg's

jose
27th July 2006, 12:09 AM
ops... right. sorry. just too tempting.

it's still free thought, LOL

Rubber Duck
27th July 2006, 12:17 AM
Com on jose you cant really be asking this , as much as everybody here frowns upon Blatent TM reg's

I got a decease and desist letter tonight on an ASCII than is up for $75 dollars as Sedo. Well I told them to either pay up or shut up. The domains is up for renewal shortly and if they don't pay the $75 dollar, I will drop it anyway. Take that attitude with me they can f*ck off. Let them see how much they end up paying at Snapnames. Christ they don't even get to have coffee with their attorney for 75 bucks!

Edwin
27th July 2006, 12:42 AM
I got a decease and desist letter

That's a vicious letter if they want you to drop dead! :)

Drewbert
27th July 2006, 12:53 AM
Heh heh. Well spotted, Bruce.

Rubber Duck
27th July 2006, 12:55 AM
That's a vicious letter if they want you to drop dead! :)

Well they certainly pissed me off with the tone of their letter, especially now it turns out that I have been buying their bloody software for the last five or six years. What a racket that is. If they had sent me a moderately toned letter I would have gladly let them have it for nothing, but now I either want my 75 bucks or they can waste a whole load of time and trouble over it. Bloody lawyers, what the hell do they think I care about Michegan state law!