PDA

View Full Version : Thai Domains at DNJournal

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 11:46 AM
I see that some more Thai domains have been acquired by the mysterious occupant of Unit 14. Thai is starting to look like a closed shop!

thefabfive
26th July 2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks to genius for the rundown of the names.

xn--72c9bva0i.com เพลง.com music.com
xn--n3chz5b1a0g6b.com แอบถ่าย.com hiddencam.com
xn--72c3a7ag1brb1f.com รถมือสอง.com secondhandcar.com
xn--42c4aga4e2ao7dp0w.com คณิตศาสตร์.com math.com
xn--12c2ca4av2ava0ovb2eg.com เกมส์ออนไลน์.com onlinegames.com

Each for about $1000. Not bad.

-- corrected translations --

26th July 2006, 01:46 PM
Fab, what are you using for thai translation?

Posted by

TrafficDomainer:

(แอบถ่าย.com) (entertainment?) - This word actually means taking a hidden camera shot. Essentially translates to "hidden cam"

(รถมือสอง.com) (vehicles?) - means second hand car

idn
26th July 2006, 02:03 PM
http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=139288&highlight=thai

Music is a nice pick up.

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 02:18 PM
http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=139288&highlight=thai

Music is a nice pick up.

Yes, my hunch is that he would have paid the full $5K for that one and the rest is just window dressing.

touchring
26th July 2006, 02:23 PM
Yes, my hunch is that he would have paid the full $5K for that one and the rest is just window dressing.

True, Music is a Tier 1 name, but have they started showing native ads for thai names? if not, ppc will show us rates.

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 02:27 PM
True, Music is a Tier 1 name, but have they started showing native ads for thai names? if not, ppc will show us rates.

That is absolutely true. But is you want names like this that will be worth at least six figures you cannot expect to pick them up on the basis of what they are earning now. You are going to have to pitch an offer at a level that might be interesting to the selling, which is much more about what they may be earning later than what they are earning now.

touchring
26th July 2006, 02:30 PM
That is absolutely true. But is you want names like this that will be worth at least six figures you cannot expect to pick them up on the basis of what they are earning now. You are going to have to pitch an offer at a level that might be interesting to the selling, which is much more about what they may be earning later than what they are earning now.

We still can use the basis of what they are earning, just put in a bigger multiple, be it 200 years or 1000 years.

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 02:36 PM
We still can use the basis of what they are earning, just put in a bigger multiple, be it 200 years or 1000 years.

No you cannot, because, however, big that mutiple is, despite some bizarre efforts, you have no way of making a sensible estimate of the ratio of future earnings to current earnings, which in any event are often not even statistically significant.

touchring
26th July 2006, 03:43 PM
We can only guess a range, the purpose is not to obtain an accurate estimate, and as you said, statistically, the figures are insufficient.

If 1000 years is not enough, how about 10,000 years?

The value of idns cannot rise beyond 4 figures or low 5 figures unless there is valuation method that extends beyond the current gut feel we use today.

thefabfive
26th July 2006, 03:49 PM
Making estimates with huge multiples is not very useful as even small differences will have a big effect on potential value.

We need to wait for concrete data.

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 03:56 PM
Making estimates with huge multiples is not very useful as even small differences will have a big effect on potential value.

We need to wait for concrete data.

I agree. 10 thousand times zilch is still zilch.

As I have suggested before the only rational way of trying to determine value is to look at the ASCII values and then make adjustment for factors such as demographics and economic strength. Perhaps cultural factors also need to be considered. These too will only be estimates, but they will have some rationale. Projecting from current earnings is a futile and meaningless excercise.