PDA

View Full Version : IE7 for XP to Arrive as High Priority Automatic Update

gammascalper
26th July 2006, 07:20 PM
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002472.html

thefabfive
26th July 2006, 07:26 PM
That's good news. No more wondering about the automatic updates.

This has me a little concerned though -

... the planned release of IE7 in the fourth quarter of this year
Fourth quarter?!

thegenius1
26th July 2006, 07:27 PM
Sounds Good , Wish they wouldnt allow them to decline tho but oh well.... Great News

touchring
26th July 2006, 07:27 PM
Great, but question, is it necessary to authenticate Genuine Windows license to download the "patch"?

Explorer
26th July 2006, 07:34 PM
This is good news, indeed. I like when they say "An upgrade to Internet Explorer is ready..." as opposed to "A new Internet Explorer" or something like that. Looks like the majority of the users will install it.

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 07:37 PM
If you want it from the horses mouth then:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/26/678149.aspx

which incidentally starts:

<< As we get close to the final availability of Internet Explorer 7, I want to provide an update on our distribution plans. To help our customers become more secure and up-to-date, we will distribute IE7 as a high-priority update via Automatic Updates (AU) shortly after the final version is released for Windows XP, planned for the fourth quarter of this year.>>

burnsinternet
26th July 2006, 07:55 PM
Server was busy. Took several minutes to get to the blog. Is it OK to copy it here?

Explorer
26th July 2006, 08:03 PM
It would also be interesting to track how many customers install IE7 on the first day if that data are available.

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 08:07 PM
It would be more interesting to know when the first day was!

I don't actually buy this fourth quarter line. Microsoft have consitently released earlier than stated, and this is very detailed for something 2 to 3 months out.

burnsinternet
26th July 2006, 08:09 PM
Yes, but we have to remember that it will be a starting point, not a panacea. I think some IDNers have the idea that they will become millionaires the day IE7 comes out.

Not everyone will install it right away. Some will decline the upgrade. IDN support is not mentioned in any of the marketing communications that I have seen, so our sites will (hopefully) be a pleasant surprise. However, the average user may not know for quite a while that he or she can 'type in' domain names.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket, but I just don't want to hear a lot of Microsoft bashing if IE7 has 'issues' and detractors. Too many of us have been calling for IE7. After it shows up, be patient and go with the flow.

Explorer
26th July 2006, 08:17 PM
Yes, but we have to remember that it will be a starting point, not a panacea. I think some IDNers have the idea that they will become millionaires the day IE7 comes out.

Not everyone will install it right away. Some will decline the upgrade. IDN support is not mentioned in any of the marketing communications that I have seen, so our sites will (hopefully) be a pleasant surprise. However, the average user may not know for quite a while that he or she can 'type in' domain names.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket, but I just don't want to hear a lot of Microsoft bashing if IE7 has 'issues' and detractors. Too many of us have been calling for IE7. After it shows up, be patient and go with the flow.

Well said.

Giant
26th July 2006, 08:20 PM

It really doesn't matter how few people will upgrade to IE7, the release itself should be a sufficient reason for you to have a safe laugh. 10% of all users upgrade is good enough to change your life forever.

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 08:26 PM

I think you are being far too pessimistic here. When it is released, which I think will be sooner than we are being led to believe at this point up take will be huge. IE 6 has few fans. Enough people will get this on day one for there to be a general awareness. Not many people will choose to be stuck with IE 6.0. OK, there are some issue about whether you have a pucker XP licence, but I don't think that is going to have a serious impact.

Yes, there is an issue about how long it will take the Japanese to get used to direct navigation, which is one of the reasons why trying to get your parking pages indexed. Don't forget this does not require browser support.

26th July 2006, 08:36 PM
- As for all those who are using unlicensed ms products, give them 3-4 days and they will have it "unlocked"
- Giant or anyone who thinks so also, how do you see 10% of users that are moving from ie6 to 7 changing anything drastic?
- As for the fact most dont like ie6,i agree they will give 7 a chance (and imo 7 is not bad at all) but even if they disagree i want to think theyre not going back to 6,just moving to firefox , opera etc...

Giant
26th July 2006, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=261275- Giant or anyone who thinks so also, how do you see 10% of users that are moving from ie6 to 7 changing anything drastic?
[/QUOTE]

If 10% of all users upgrade to IE7 can't chage your life, it will certainly change mine.

If I can get 2 - 3 times of my present traffic revenue, I can release myself from other responsibilies and I can start concentrating on something I really want to do. That's a big change of my life.

Don't be mistaken that you need a lot of money to change your life, you just need a little more money to buy yourself some freedom, your life is changed.

thefabfive
26th July 2006, 09:43 PM
If I can get 2 - 3 times of my present traffic revenue, I can release myself from other responsibilies and I can start concentrating on something I really want to do. That's a big change of my life.
I would guess that most people here need a little more than 2 - 3 time their current traffic to leave their day job.

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 10:41 PM
If 10% of all users upgrade to IE7 can't chage your life, it will certainly change mine.

Don't be mistaken that you need a lot of money to change your life, you just need a little more money to buy yourself some freedom, your life is changed.

I am already in the process of making that transition. To get the most of my portfolio in the first year or two is going to be fairly time consuming. Why would I want to waste my time doing other people's menial crap?

This is not a school outing. Those that get their portfolios sorted and earning can buy more high quality domains before they get too expensive. This is not some hobby job. For me and probably a couple of dozen other's on here this is the future. The easy bit is over. Much of the hard work is in front of us.

Giant
26th July 2006, 10:42 PM
I would guess that most people here need a little more than 2 - 3 time their current traffic to leave their day job.

Then 10% may get them 10 times of their revenue :)

burnsinternet is right, it's always wise not to be over-optimistic. But we must also realize that the release of IE7 is a very big event for all IDNers, depends on the size and quality of your IDN portfolio, it can be the most important event of your life!

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 10:47 PM
Then 10% may get them 10 times of their revenue :)

burnsinternet is right, it's always wise not to be over-optimistic. But we must also realize that the release of IE7 is a very big event for all IDNers, depends on the size and quality of your IDN portfolio, it can be the most important event of your life!

The only experience that you will ever have that is going to be similar is if you are brave enough and successful enough to pay for a space shot.

thefabfive
26th July 2006, 11:00 PM
Those that get their portfolios sorted and earning can buy more high quality domains before they get too expensive.
Couldn't agree more. Hopefully Giant leaves some for the rest of us. :)

Then 10% may get them 10 times of their revenue
That's the big question - what multiples will we see once IE7 is out? I'd expect a step jump followed by months of uptrend in traffic. Hopefully followed by another step jump from the release of Vista. With continuing uptrends from internet growth in non-English speaking countries.

gammascalper
26th July 2006, 11:05 PM

That's the big question - what multiples will we see once IE7 is out? I'd expect a step jump followed by months of uptrend in traffic. Hopefully followed by another step jump from the release of Vista. With continuing uptrends from internet growth in non-English speaking countries.
My guess is 15-20% migration from IE6 to IE7 after the 1st full month of full release, based on reported IE5 to IE6 migration and adjusted higher for increased broadband penetration and the demise of Netscape.

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 11:13 PM
My guess is 15-20% migration from IE6 to IE7 after the 1st full month of full release, based on reported IE5 to IE6 migration and adjusted higher for increased broadband penetration and the demise of Netscape.

I think that is unrealistically low. Say 75% are on IE 6 and within the first week all are asked if they wished to upgrade, it is reasonable to assume that a majority are going to say NO? Even if they do, they will be prompted with the same question again, until they make a clear decision to not do it. I might be naive but I would go for more than 50% migration in the first month in Japan. Perhaps a little less elsewhere.

thegenius1
26th July 2006, 11:13 PM
I got 1 Question when is the IE7 Pre Game Party ?

burnsinternet
26th July 2006, 11:15 PM
This is not a school outing. Those that get their portfolios sorted and earning can buy more high quality domains before they get too expensive. This is not some hobby job. For me and probably a couple of dozen other's on here this is the future. The easy bit is over. Much of the hard work is in front of us.

Amen.

I have been a software engineer for years. A new release is cause for celebration, but we must always consider less-than-stellar releases. We may be initially upset until a patch or two is released. Be prepared. Don't buy a yacht for a few weeks.

On the one hand, IE7 update alone will not pay the bills that day. To simplify things: For most IDNers, users must upgrade to IE7, find our IDNs, and click. This will increase overnight, but no one (except maybe Edwin's Foolish Experiment) will get a million dollar check in the mail the next day.

We will have much work to do. Reregistering domains, selling domains, collecting for those sales (important!), and making shrewd deals and alliances. Some will keep the hand they were dealt. Some will lose a fortune in long-term income for short-term gain. Some will be very fortunate. Some will never understand IDN until it is too late.

On the other hand, we will all feel a sense of relief once we find that IE7 is generally compatible with most users' software applications and that IDN support is turned 'on' by default. That first day, I think that many of us will spend hours checking each and every IDN and calling friends and family and asking them, "Can you see it?" We will feel wonderful when others can see what we see.

When XP SP1 support ends in October and the auto-update pops up, you can bet I will be calling in sick, burning up the cell phone minutes, and spending the day on IDNF. :p

thefabfive
26th July 2006, 11:15 PM
And depending on IDN-compatible browser penetration at the moment that 15-20% could be up to about 10x current traffic levels (depending on the language).

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 11:17 PM
I got 1 Question when is the IE7 Pre Game Party ?

Well to set the date for the party you need to know when the Game is.

I think Microsoft have pretty much made it clear that Vista is going to be released October 10th in an OEM version. Where does it say that? Well, just about everywhere if you look!

When is IE 7.0 coming out? Well almost certainly several clear weeks before that. I am still convinced we are talking 31st August. Check out the level of detail Microsoft are giving out on the actual update. This is not vague information about something that is way out there in the future somewhere. This is initial prepping for the launch. I was taken back by how much detail was given out at this stage, although I think it would be unwise for me to bring my prediction forward.

Giant
26th July 2006, 11:20 PM

You are one of the silent giants on this forum. I was surprised to discover you had grabbed so many good Chinese names that should have belonged to me, not to mention names in other languages that you are good at.

gammascalper
26th July 2006, 11:20 PM
And depending on IDN-compatible browser penetration at the moment that 15-20% could be up to about 10x current traffic levels (depending on the language).

Agreed.

Admittedly that's a conservative estimate, but I'd like to set the bar low and be pleasantly surprised. :)

Rubber Duck
26th July 2006, 11:28 PM
My personal view is that the roll out of the software will be more rapid than the change of habits. Not everyone will immediately grasp the concept of direct navigation in Unicode. I think the software upgrade will be almost instant, but the problem will be getting people to type in the Unicode, especially when there is still comparatively little web content to go at.

26th July 2006, 11:40 PM
What do you guys think of joining in on a press release issued by AP,Reuters etc?

If anyone has writing skills they can write the release or i can see that a pro. writer will write it for us, the amount each has to put into it is minimal to the possible affect of it imo

(press release fee,article i will cover)

The only thing i need is for each to post valuable points to be included in the press release.

Drewbert
27th July 2006, 12:58 AM
>but the problem will be getting people to type in the Unicode

I think most people will either discover it by error, or be emailed by a friend who discovered it by error with a "hey, try this!" email.

I still think the best idea to get the word out is some viral videos on youtube with IDN domains branded on them.

Best wait until IE7 is in wide use, for best effect.

thegenius1
27th July 2006, 01:00 AM
>but the problem will be getting people to type in the Unicode

I think most people will either discover it by error, or be emailed by a friend who discovered it by error with a "hey, try this!" email.

I still think the best idea to get the word out is some viral videos on youtube with IDN domains branded on them.

Best wait until IE7 is in wide use, for best effect.

Great Idea Drew Brilliant , Because the IE7 videos they have on youtube are very Sucky IMO..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0cPw8ut7ks

gammascalper
27th July 2006, 01:11 AM
Great Idea Drew Brilliant , Because the IE7 videos they have on youtube are very Sucky IMO..

Cool. I've never seen that ad on TV. When did they air it? Or is it currently being aired.

thegenius1
27th July 2006, 01:27 AM
Cool. I've never seen that ad on TV. When did they air it? Or is it currently being aired.

They need to let this forum produce the commercial , I think it could be a Billion times better , No i have never seen it on TV , I wasnt aware of it untill Blast showed me the link.... Rhys can you pull some strings for some people here to play apart in the Ads ?

touchring
27th July 2006, 02:43 AM
My personal view is that the roll out of the software will be more rapid than the change of habits. Not everyone will immediately grasp the concept of direct navigation in Unicode. I think the software upgrade will be almost instant, but the problem will be getting people to type in the Unicode, especially when there is still comparatively little web content to go at.

It's already August, we'll know in less than 8 months how things will go for the different languages. 18 months ahead, everyone will expect PPC at half trottle level. So best time to sell, I would suspect, between now and Dec/Feb 2007. :)

rhys
27th July 2006, 05:42 AM
They need to let this forum produce the commercial , I think it could be a Billion times better , No i have never seen it on TV , I wasnt aware of it untill Blast showed me the link.... Rhys can you pull some strings for some people here to play apart in the Ads ?

If only I could Genius. I'd pull you in for sure.
As for IE7 RTW, I think early 4th quarter should be our expectation. They added beta 3 to the roadmap so September release has to slide out a month or two.

Drewbert
27th July 2006, 06:56 AM

I'm not talking about adverts about IE7, I'm talking about viral video clips (like skateboarders cracking their heads open and dislocating bones) that have IDN websites listed as the video source.

alpha
27th July 2006, 08:50 AM

What's all this talk of retiring?

is it just me looking at the performance of my Japanese thinking 2-3 x multiplier ain't enough to buy me a big mac?

Japanese needs to perform waaaaaaaay better than that.

touchring
27th July 2006, 09:08 AM
What's all this talk of retiring?

is it just me looking at the performance of my Japanese thinking 2-3 x multiplier ain't enough to buy me a big mac?

Japanese needs to perform waaaaaaaay better than that.

That's the thing, many people here talk like PPC is worth nothing while they are hoarding or grabbing PPC names as fast as they can.

There's a lot of disinformation (both intentional and unintentional) on forums, so newbies have to decide for themselves what to follow.

Helpful people might leak some genuine hints along the way, but no one is going to tell you the full picture.

Rubber Duck
27th July 2006, 10:11 AM
It's already August, we'll know in less than 8 months how things will go for the different languages. 18 months ahead, everyone will expect PPC at half trottle level. So best time to sell, I would suspect, between now and Dec/Feb 2007. :)

I can assure you that we won't be selling anything in that period. If things are as slow as you predict I will have already dumped over half of my portfolio by then. Anything we are still holding at that time will not be for sale. Frankly, it is going to take 18 months for people to get exited then they are never going to.

touchring
27th July 2006, 10:24 AM
I can assure you that we won't be selling anything in that period. If things are as slow as you predict I will have already dumped over half of my portfolio by then. Anything we are still holding at that time will not be for sale. Frankly, it is going to take 18 months for people to get exited then they are never going to.

18 months is based on 6 months to automatic download and then another 12 months for deep market penetration.

The other half trottle will come when people are used to typing in Unicode, and also die hard Win2k fans like me to convert.

Note: My wild guess is based on the assumption that there is no Windows authencity check for the IE7 download, which, in such a case, would mean the majority of users in China can't download. Japan won't be affected, so Japanese names should see traffic very quickly, much earlier than the 18 months. :)

Rubber Duck
27th July 2006, 10:25 AM
If only I could Genius. I'd pull you in for sure.
As for IE7 RTW, I think early 4th quarter should be our expectation. They added beta 3 to the roadmap so September release has to slide out a month or two.

Could you explain to any of us what Beta 3 was all about apart from fixing a lot of minor bugs. It would seem they still have 2 or 3 big ones to fix, not that I have noticed. Mine is running great.

Frankly, I don't buy any of these so called adverts that are being leaked. I am sure Microsoft's security is better than that. If they are genuine then the leak will be deliberate. Also, not really convinced they are going to go big budget advertising on a free automatic update.

IE 6.0 was effectively killed off for many last month. No more OS support effectively means no IE 6.0 support either. Worse still the people effected have no proper upgrade path. If you are going to buy a new box, you would want Vista OEM. I cannot see how they can just leave the World in limbo for another 3 months. Or perhaps customer satisfaction just isn't out there in the Microsoft equation?

alpha
27th July 2006, 12:09 PM
That's the thing, many people here talk like PPC is worth nothing while they are hoarding or grabbing PPC names as fast as they can.

There's a lot of disinformation (both intentional and unintentional) on forums, so newbies have to decide for themselves what to follow.

Helpful people might leak some genuine hints along the way, but no one is going to tell you the full picture.

so what does this cryptic message mean?

what are members who hold japanese portfolios with bugger all traffic suppose to think?

do they have a future?

Rubber Duck
27th July 2006, 12:17 PM

what are members who hold japanese portfolios with bugger all traffic suppose to think?

do they have a future?

Looks like an admission of giving out misinformation to me? Anyone else?

18 months is based on 6 months to automatic download and then another 12 months for deep market penetration.

The other half trottle will come when people are used to typing in Unicode, and also die hard Win2k fans like me to convert.

Note: My wild guess is based on the assumption that there is no Windows authencity check for the IE7 download, which, in such a case, would mean the majority of users in China can't download. Japan won't be affected, so Japanese names should see traffic very quickly, much earlier than the 18 months. :)

I had 2K on this machine. I junked it. I was never a fan and frankly never looked back. I just felt ripped off that Microsoft had released this half baked operating system so soon before XP, which at the time was revelation. Anyone 2K is going into extended support in October, but will never support IE 7.0. Is that a major problem? Not really, most systems that support 2K will also support XP, not sure whether or not they will be OK for Vista. Most 2K users should take this opportunity to upgrade their system either to Vista or a MAC.

Anyway getting back to IE 7.0. Most of those that matter (i.e. where the computer is actively being used for Online commerce) will have downloaded in the first month. The rest probably won't bother until they upgrade their system.

Some cultures may have an initial reluctance to type in, but I cannot see that persisting very long. Once there is substantial browser support many sites will quickly adopt some form of URL forwarding to field the traffic that is going astray, even if only as a temporary solution. Once the content starts to appear on mass, then browser habits will change very rapidly. Most peoples initial use of direct navigation will be to an advertised URL. This advertising is already appearing in Japan even though half the companies haven't registered their domain and of course they won't resolve without an IDN compatible browser.

IDN URLs will be seen as being very hip. Hip means marketing advantage, which in turn means advertising Yen. Do not underestimate the commercial imperative to do this.

From a PPC point of view, I don't think many are too worried if China lags a bit, although I am not saying that will happen. Japan is currently serving up 50 cents a click on average wheras China is more typically 2 cents a click, because Adwords have not really got going there yet. IE 7.0 along will not bring instant maturity to the Chinese market. Japan is the main interest in the short-term.

The Japanese market seems to be currently largely focus on Search. Your revenues from Japan will come from two sources, Search and Direct Navigation. Only the latter requires IE 7, the former is available now if you are able to get indexed by the major search engines in the correct linguistic context. You should be looking at this hard now. This is not just an idea with short-term potential. It may represent 50% or more of your potential earnings. If you wait around for IE 7, you could well be so please that you never realise that the other half of the cake is going begging.

touchring
27th July 2006, 01:12 PM

do they have a future?

Cryptic? I can't be more specific, i only write what i see, based on solid stats, and what i hear from others, i believe everyone should come to their own conclusion. See some of the earlier posts i made on Chinese traffic and PPC.

02-02-2006 - http://www.idnforums.com/forums/717-exactly-how-would-the-new-chinese-%5Bidn-tld%5Ds-be-accomodated.html?highlight=xiamen

03-31-2006 - http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1832-sc-screen-capture-in-china.html

04-30-2006 - http://www.idnforums.com/forums/2486-study-top-views-and-clicks-for-various-languages.html

Rubber Duck
27th July 2006, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=touchring]Cryptic? I can't be more specific, i only write what i see, based on solid stats, and what i hear from others, i believe everyone should come to their own conclusion. QUOTE]

The basic problem is that there are no solid stats that are not deeply flawed.

It is a bit like only counting the votes in the ballot boxes, when nobody actually remembered to open the polling station in the first place, whilst ignoring anything that has been pushed through the letter box. Having said that, perhaps this is not the best analogy for a resident of Singapore to understand anyway.

touchring
27th July 2006, 04:25 PM
Look at my signature, btw, it's been there for 2 weeks. I've already answered AM's question, so no further comments. Good luck to everyone. :)

Rubber Duck
27th July 2006, 04:32 PM
Power of the internet that will be exponentiated to the power N, when IDN becomes active. How much more difficult will it be to control when people can actually navigate it?:)

Prodigy
27th July 2006, 04:36 PM
Easier to dodge a gun in plain view than an arrow in the dark...