View Full Version : IDN news

drbiohealth
27th July 2006, 02:15 AM
Divided by a common language

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1830481,00.html

Olney
27th July 2006, 02:27 AM
When posting news articles
Please try to post more than just a link members....
It helps members know what kind of news...

This summarizes it a bit

The internet is a global revolution in communication - as long as you use letters from the western alphabet. Kieren McCarthy on the growing pressure for a net that recognises Asian, Arabic and Hindi characters, too

drbiohealth
27th July 2006, 10:10 AM
Good point, Olney. Taken!

When posting news articles
Please try to post more than just a link members....
It helps members know what kind of news...

This summarizes it a bit

The internet is a global revolution in communication - as long as you use letters from the western alphabet. Kieren McCarthy on the growing pressure for a net that recognises Asian, Arabic and Hindi characters, too

bwhhisc
27th July 2006, 10:54 AM
QUOTE:
"perhaps most crucially, Microsoft deciding to include IDN10 technology in the new version of Internet Explorer, out later this year, Icann has been left with no choice but to speed up the technical side of internationalised domain names in a bid to keep the net together".

Glad to see the mention of IE7 as the catalyst that will launch the mainstream use of idns. While this was widely known among idner's, the majority of information and articles on IE7 have not recognized the true signifigance of how this will truly change the worldwide internet over the next few years and beyond.

Rubber Duck
27th July 2006, 10:58 AM
Nice article but I felt compelled to send an email to the Guardian on this:

Hi,

Thanks for a very interesting article. I am actually a founding member of an online Forum for speculators in IDN, one whose main aims is provide as much information as possible on IDN and their implementation. This forum can be found at idnforums.com.

I have to say that on the whole the article is well researched, but as with anything there are flaws. Nobody is proposing that anyone should be forced to register any particular extension. Verisign, however, whether you love them or loath effectively created the name system as we now know it. There have created a global brand in dot com that extends into every culture on Earth. Anyone is free to apply to start a registry in any language or multiple languages that provide a distincitive internet address. The only possible reason for others wishing to mimic the dot Com extension is to take unfair commercial advantage by high-jacking someone elses brand. The truth is even if they are successful in doing this, it won't make a blind bit of difference, as any arbituary representation can be adopted for dot Com and people will soon become aware of what it represents. It is power of the brand and what it represents, rather than the representation itself that is so valuable. I believe Verisign should be allowed to choose within reason, how they represent their own brand internationally, but even if they are not, the success that is attached to the dot com brand will rest with Verisign.

Furthermore, it should be noted that whilst other organisations have often fallen by the wayside Verisign has been a staunch supporter of the IDN concept from day one. I feel that they deserve a little recognition for that, as without that support the whole project may well have been abandoned by now.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Indepedent domain trader

Edwin
27th July 2006, 01:33 PM
If you're going to write that kind of email, at least call us "investors" not "speculators"!

touchring
27th July 2006, 01:37 PM
If you're going to write that kind of email, at least call us "investors" not "speculators"!

That's fine, in comparison, the more common word used by newspapers is "cybersquatter". :p

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/general-discussion-poll58-whats-your-occupation-or-profession.html

OldIDNer
27th July 2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks for posting that article dr.

Rubber Duck
27th July 2006, 01:47 PM

We are by any definition speculators, and I for one am proud of it. An investor, is someone that gets a prospectus largely full of bullshit, before he hands his money over. The main purpose of such an investment is usually for the agent to extract his fee upfront, whilst the principsl is committed to tying up his capital for years if not decades for a pittance. I for one have no great desire to be associated with such sheep.