PDA

View Full Version : Overture China

IDNCowboy
28th July 2006, 07:48 PM
Shouldn't we each send an email to Overture to get their Chinese version working once and for all ;-).

thefabfive
28th July 2006, 07:54 PM
Shouldn't we each send an email to Overture to get their Chinese version working once and for all ;-).
I would assume some of the reason for CN Ovt no working lies with the Chinese government.

IDNCowboy
28th July 2006, 07:57 PM
True thats what I thought in the past but I hope something gets worked out.

Giant
28th July 2006, 10:37 PM
I would assume some of the reason for CN Ovt no working lies with the Chinese government.

No, it has nothing to do with the Chinese government. I don't think the Chinese government is so bad :)

Yahoo sold Yahoo China to Alibaba.com and got 40% of the shares. Jack Ma (CEO of Alibaba) is the guy really running anything Yahoo in China, and he is to blame.

Rubber Duck
28th July 2006, 10:47 PM
No, it has nothing to do with the Chinese government. I don't think the Chinese government is so bad :)

Yahoo sold Yahoo China to Alibaba.com and got 40% of the shares. Jack Ma (CEO of Alibaba) is the guy really running anything Yahoo in China, and he is to blame.

Yahoo can only report search results if they actually get any.

thefabfive
28th July 2006, 10:56 PM
No, it has nothing to do with the Chinese government. I don't think the Chinese government is so bad

No offense intended to the Chinese government. :)

It would be nice if Baidu came out with an Ovt or Yandex like tool.

Giant
28th July 2006, 11:09 PM
Yahoo can only report search results if they actually get any.

There's always risks to partner with a mainland Chinese if you are not from China yourself. Yahoo thought to get 40% first and wait till Jack Ma develope the business further and then get another 1x% shares to control the company. But Jack Ma is very smart but in a foolish way, he tries to promote his own products and freeze anything Yahoo before Jerry Yang can control Alibaba.

Consequence: they both lose.

kenne
28th July 2006, 11:24 PM
I read a study who broke up the Chinese search engine market like this:
Baidu: 40%+
Google: ~15%
Yahoo: 40%

I was a bit surprised by Yahoo's market share and google's lack of. I'm
not totally trusting that study because it was just one study.

On top of that, the news article that quoted the study didn't specify
whether the % is based on search volume or revenue

There's always risks to partner with a mainland Chinese if you are not from China yourself. Yahoo thought to get 40% first and wait till Jack Ma develope the business further and then get another 1x% shares to control the company. But Jack Ma is very smart but in a foolish way, he tries to promote his own products and freeze anything Yahoo before Jerry Yang can control Alibaba.

Consequence: they both lose.

I'm curious how it was, could you cite a place that has the whole story? thanks!

Giant
29th July 2006, 12:21 AM
I read a study who broke up the Chinese search engine market like this:
Baidu: 40%+
Google: ~15%
Yahoo: 40%

I was a bit surprised by Yahoo's market share and google's lack of. I'm
not totally trusting that study because it was just one study.

On top of that, the news article that quoted the study didn't specify
whether the % is based on search volume or revenue

I'm curious how it was, could you cite a place that has the whole story? thanks!

There's no place to tell you the whole story, the whole story is collected from bit by bit. 3721 is almost dead, Yahoo China's traffic down 60 - 70%.... They tried to change the course and start promoting Yahoo China again in the last few weeks...

The more accurate %:

Baidu: 43.9%
Google:13.2%
Yahoo: 21.1%