PDA

View Full Version : Indexing Yandex?

Rubber Duck
29th July 2006, 01:39 PM
I have been unable to find any evidence of IDN being indexed at Yandex. Is this the case?

If so it very serious. Probably more so for Yandex than us, but it shows someone is badly out of touch with the market. If both Yandex and Runic, turn their noses up at IDN, there is a clear opportunity for Google and Verisign to wipe the floor with them.

blastfromthepast
29th July 2006, 03:32 PM
I have been unable to find any evidence of IDN being indexed at Yandex. Is this the case?

If so it very serious. Probably more so for Yandex than us, but it shows someone is badly out of touch with the market. If both Yandex and Runic, turn their noses up at IDN, there is a clear opportunity for Google and Verisign to wipe the floor with them.

Yandex has serious indexing problems, and these issues have nothing to do with IDNs.

It comes down to this: some websites, for unknown reasons, drop out from the index, and although they are crawled, they never again apear in Yandex search results. Contacting Yandex does not help, they claim that the site was not banned. Note: this has nothing to do with black hat SEO, illegal content, errors in encoding, etc. Known good, content rich sites dissapear.

The solution seems to be: pay Yandex to consider the site for inclusion in the directory and the catalog. Voilà! The site appears good and starts getting indexed again.

Since Yandex amounts to a virtual monopoly on the Russian market, it no longer cares to provide unbiased search results. As long as enough, but not all, sites get indexed, users don't notice. It obviously can get away with this practice, and does.

Rubber Duck
29th July 2006, 03:40 PM
Nothing new here then. You used to have to pay for inclusion in Yahoo, until Google showed up. They seem to have quietly forgotten the priority indexing thing. Seems like Yandex is not the fit lean competitor after all. I not sure that it can consider itself a virtual monopoly, as there is nothing to stop its users simply migrating, apart from superior service of course.