PDA

View Full Version : Another backing of IE 7 to be high priority update

IDNCowboy
30th July 2006, 04:53 PM
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+tags+IE+7+high+priority+update/2100-7350_3-6098500.html?tag=nefd.lede

Olney
30th July 2006, 05:06 PM
I will adamantly pledge to promote the use of IE7 to all my Japanese fans in Tokyo...

Even though I am a Mac user.....

touchring
30th July 2006, 05:08 PM
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+tags+IE+7+high+priority+update/2100-7350_3-6098500.html?tag=nefd.lede

Does high priority update mean that bootlegged versions can also download the update? This is crucial for chinese,arabic and russian traffic.

Rubber Duck
30th July 2006, 05:12 PM
I will adamantly pledge to promote the use of IE7 to all my Japanese fans in Tokyo...

Even though I am a Mac user.....

I am seriously getting the impression that the Japanese are not big Internet users at all. Is there actually serious traffic on ASCII domains in Japan?

Actually, I thought the Free Distribution of Open Source software in India was a massive step forward. This software will include an IDN compatible browser and mail server, which probably means that India will shortly be further ahead than Japan is, in terms of Internet development.

IDNCowboy
30th July 2006, 05:12 PM
Does high priority update mean that bootlegged versions can also download the update? This is crucial for chinese,arabic and russian traffic.
My copies of Windows are always legit however there is a fix on the net to disable Windows Authentication.

However MS does keep a log of those bootlegged cd keys so they often will not be allowed to use Windows update. However they can download language packs etc from Microsoft.com as it will look like the copy is activated.

They can download copies of IE 7 (beta now) from non Microsoft operated FTPs etc tho.

I am seriously getting the impression that the Japanese are not big Internet users at all. Is there actually serious traffic on ASCII domains in Japan?

Actually, I thought the Free Distribution of Open Source software in India was a massive step forward. This software will include an IDN compatible browser and mail server, which probably means that India will shortly be further ahead than Japan is, in terms of Internet development.

------------

Also if you go here http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22Internet+Users%22+Japan
There are approximately 57 million online users in Japan now

touchring
30th July 2006, 05:16 PM
My copies of Windows are always legit however there is a fix on the net to disable Windows Authentication.

However MS does keep a log of those bootlegged cd keys so they often will not be allowed to use Windows update. However they can download language packs etc from Microsoft.com as it will look like the copy is activated.

They can download copies of IE 7 (beta now) from non Microsoft operated FTPs etc tho.

Well, i think few people will crack their windows just to download IE7, so we can't factor in the crack. I am keen to know whether a bootleg version of XP can download high priority updates.

IDNCowboy
30th July 2006, 05:19 PM
Well, i think few people will crack their windows just to download IE7, so we can't factor in the crack. I am keen to know whether a bootleg version of XP can download high priority updates.
It used to be the case that they checked CD Keys to see whether or not you can use Windows update... Those bootlegged ones were not able to access it. I'm not sure if Activation has replaced this..

However if they download the authentication crack they can download IE 7 from microsoft.com

touchring
30th July 2006, 05:24 PM
I know Microsoft will allow certain security patches to be downloaded, regardless of whether they are bootleg, especially those in which virus infected Windows PC become bulk mailing zombies. :o

alpha
30th July 2006, 06:46 PM
theres been a lot of bad press about M$ and security issues as we know; their strategy of late has been to release security patches without validation; otherwsie the cracked and illegal copies of windows simply spread viruses.

It depends how M$ have viewed the development of IE7.

If it is an "added value product", then it will check for authentication

If it is aimed primarily at "plugging security flaws", then it will be downloadable to all.

I can only imagine the many hours of discussion this topic has had back at the M$ bat-cave

Rubber Duck
30th July 2006, 06:57 PM
theres been a lot of bad press about M$ and security issues as we know; their strategy of late has been to release security patches without validation; otherwsie the cracked and illegal copies of windows simply spread viruses.

It depends how M$ have viewed the development of IE7.

If it is an "added value product", then it will check for authentication

If it is aimed primarily at "plugging security flaws", then it will be downloadable to all.

I can only imagine the many hours of discussion this topic has had back at the M$ bat-cave

Chances are that they won't allow it download immediately to non-authenticate installations, but this option would be available to them, if they felt it appropriate. It might be that they take a view language by language. For example is there really any point them getting picky when the Indian Government is distributing FF for free in all the Indic scripts.

IE 7 even in the US is competing against Open Source. Just how fussy can they afford to be.

I imagine they believe the security systems for authenticity on Vista to be almost fireproof. They will have spent 1 year on the actual OS and the other 3 ensuring that no one gets a freebie. Once Vista is out as a cash generator XP will be dead in the water. Is there really much to be gained from trying to squeeze the pips out of it?

rhys
30th July 2006, 08:48 PM
I seriously doubt that the auto-update of IE7 will apply to bootleg/illegitimate copies of XP. I may be wrong, but this is no small security patch.

Rubber Duck
30th July 2006, 09:45 PM
I seriously doubt that the auto-update of IE7 will apply to bootleg/illegitimate copies of XP. I may be wrong, but this is no small security patch.

It is a job to know what might happen in a place like China. It would seem that the Chinese Government are going to support Microsoft in clamping down on Pirate Software in future. It maybe that some sort of quid pro quo has been negociated, to help get IDN up and running ASAP. The truth is we may never know. The security for one language could easily be disabled, if that was what was required.