PDA

View Full Version : ICANN - status quo

Explorer
31st July 2006, 04:17 PM
Looks like ICANN will keep its status quo.

http://www.governmententerprise.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=191600455

Giant
31st July 2006, 04:27 PM
Looks like ICANN will keep its status quo.

http://www.governmententerprise.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=191600455

Keeping its status quo is needed for now, especially IDN.IDN is not settled yet :). But I think US should work hard to releasing its control later.

IDNCowboy
31st July 2006, 04:54 PM
Keeping its status quo is needed for now, especially IDN.IDN is not settled yet :). But I think US should work hard to releasing its control later.
Having the U.N. run the Internet would be a nightmare. They'd screw it up..

If it ain't broken don't fix it

Explorer
31st July 2006, 05:31 PM

That's right. Once a contract is renewed, ICANN should solely focus on getting the DNAME and NS tests completed.

Rubber Duck
31st July 2006, 05:31 PM

Well no, the bit the US needs has always worked fine. They have made sure of that. It is the bit that every one else has needed that has been wantonly neglected. The US has proven itself unequal and unworthy of the task, and its about time it faced reality. The only problem is that there is a plausible risk that alternatives would be worse. That's why the matter need some serious consideration before change is implemented. But change it must!

blastfromthepast
31st July 2006, 07:12 PM
In a 2005 report, the U.N. Working Group on Internet Governance argued that "no single government should have a pre-eminent role in relation to international Internet governance."

Well, the most technologically advanced society should play a significant role. And that sure isn't the US.

IDNCowboy
31st July 2006, 07:21 PM
In a 2005 report, the U.N. Working Group on Internet Governance argued that "no single government should have a pre-eminent role in relation to international Internet governance."

Well, the most technologically advanced society should play a significant role. And that sure isn't the US.
Let china or South Africa run the Internet and you can see what they do.....

I don't think the U.K. should run it either. It needs to be run by the U.S.. Don't you understand they could raise domain prices even higher than what Verisign already proposed(.com).

Giant
31st July 2006, 07:29 PM
Let china or South Africa run the Internet and you can see what they do.....

I don't think the U.K. should run it either. It needs to be run by the U.S.. Don't you understand they could raise domain prices even higher than what Verisign already proposed(.com).

When it comes to international relations, principle is more important than all. US is a sovereign nation, so are other 200+ countries. To irrespect principles, you will lose and lose big.