PDA

View Full Version : Progress of Sorts

Rubber Duck
31st July 2006, 07:52 PM
Well OK it is a provisional figure still but earnings for July for my Japanese Portfolio are standing at $19.97, which is up on $12.35 for June and $3.96 for May.

These are not World changing amounts, but at least things are going in the right direction!

Explorer
31st July 2006, 08:35 PM
Well OK it is a provisional figure still but earnings for July for my Japanese Portfolio are standing at $19.97, which is up on $12.35 for June and $3.96 for May.

These are not World changing amounts, but at least things are going in the right direction!

Thanks for sharing.
Do you feel that forwarding had something to do with it or it's just natural increase in type-ins?

domainstosell
31st July 2006, 08:38 PM
How long have you had them parked? Did you park them in May or before then?

Rubber Duck
31st July 2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks for sharing.
Do you feel that forwarding had something to do with it or it's just natural increase in type-ins?

No, I don't feel that forwarding has had anything to do with things. To date we have done little more than prove that Indexing with Google and Yahoo is possible. I have in recent days done quite a bit more work to refine things to try to get some improvement in page ranking. Some of the increase will be due to using higher paying keywords, at the cost of CTR. However, this will be to some extent reversed as in order to attempt to use the SEO benefits of the domain, we are going to be using more natural keywords. Hopefully this will be more than offset with higher traffic, but who knows?

How long have you had them parked? Did you park them in May or before then?

Not really sure on that, the right answer is probably some of them.

IDNCowboy
31st July 2006, 08:50 PM

for a "not such an impressive japanese idn portfolio"(compared to other markets) which you have claimed in the past :P it is doin quite well.

Rubber Duck
31st July 2006, 08:55 PM
for a "not such an impressive japanese idn portfolio"(compared to other markets) which you have claimed in the past :P it is doin quite well.

Well the difference is that we have been able to average 50 cents a click in Japan as compared with 2-6 cents elsewhere. Consequently there has been a little bit more thought gone into Japan, but it still a long way behind Arabic and Chinese and even Farsi is performing better in many respects.

rhys
31st July 2006, 11:36 PM
So with the month of July pretty much closed, I have the following summary of my Japanese .com and .net portfolio.

#Domains 565
Asian only traffic 600
Clicks 77
CTR 12.8%
PPC 32 cents
Total for July $24.27

bwhhisc
31st July 2006, 11:50 PM
So with the month of July pretty much closed, I have the following summary of my Japanese .com and .net portfolio.
#Domains 565
Asian only traffic 600
Clicks 77
CTR 12.8%
PPC 32 cents
Total for July $24.27

HERE'S OURS- no keywords entered, or settings chosen. We just put them over to Namedrive last month
so this is our first full month of revenue for Japanese only:
Clicks 63
CTR 4.7%
PPC .23 cents
Total for July $ 14.33

Anyone have ideas on settings to get higher click amounts, or catagories that seem to attract more "clicks"?

Olney
1st August 2006, 12:08 AM
Ok I'll share

Added mine last month too.

#Domains 556
Asian only traffic
Views 600
Clicks 81
CTR 25.31%
PPC 38 cents
Total for July $31.03

My percentages are skewed a bit because of Adult domains & 68 Regular domains.

But do note that even if you don't optimize nameDrive is taking the keyword without extension as the default keyword. I think that Alph suggested this.

This is pennies compared to what our portfolios will look like after they fix the indexing issue.

blastfromthepast
1st August 2006, 03:44 AM
Japanese

Domains 29
Views 71
Clicks 2
CTR 2.82%
PPC .15
Total for July $0.29

Edwin
1st August 2006, 04:44 AM
Interesting. Here's mine...

#Domains 2,119
Asian only traffic
Views 889
Clicks 234
CTR 26.32%
PPC 26 cents
Total for July $60.03

touchring
1st August 2006, 05:10 AM
#Domains 149
Asian only traffic
Views 820
Clicks 193
CTR % 23.54
PPC US$ 0.19
Total for July US$ 37.28
PPC/Registration Cost Ratio: 0.37

Here's mine small folio. :)

alpha
1st August 2006, 07:31 AM
Heres mine.

Japanese, filtered by Asia. Vanilla settings. No keywords.

Views 297
Clicks 59
CTR 19.87%
PPC 21 cents
Total for July $12.52

touchring
1st August 2006, 07:49 AM
HERE'S OURS- no keywords entered, or settings chosen. We just put them over to Namedrive last month
so this is our first full month of revenue for Japanese only:
Clicks 63
CTR 4.7%
PPC .23 cents
Total for July $ 14.33

Anyone have ideas on settings to get higher click amounts, or catagories that seem to attract more "clicks"?

Odd, CTR seems unsually low? Are these Asian views?

alex
1st August 2006, 08:20 AM
Asian only traffic
Views 249
Clicks 70
CTR 28.11%
PPC 0.20
Total for July $13.71

Some keywords (not optimized), though many are the same as the domain name. I just set up masked forwarding with Japanese meta tags over the past few days, so I will be interested to see if the domains will be properly indexed and what effect that will have on traffic in the coming months.

Rubber Duck
1st August 2006, 09:18 AM
I have to say that I am bemused. It would seem to have been effectively proven here that Japanese traffic can be effectively monetized.

It is also clear that whilst Japanese traffic level remain very low, that the main reason for this is that lack of browser support, which is now only a matter of weeks away.

Why are people still prepared to pay more for Spamtastic.com than a good generic Japanese IDN. Anyone, who thinks I am an expert is completely wrong, because I have to say the market has got me totally baffled. I honestly thought people would be killing themselves to get on the IDN ladder at this stage.

I guess guys like Rick can afford to hang cool for a while yet though. 5 figure amounts are nothing to guys like this, if they see something they like. Also, you have to remember, domainers like Rick are not mega-organisations. They don't need to answer to Wall Street. They don't need a 20 year business plan. Frankly, they only have to please themselves. If getting to grips with markets in the Far East is just too much hassle, then they don't need to.

It is, however, important to remember that these guys came from nothing on the back of traffic. They haven't made money selling domains. Those that want to emulate them need to get in early as they did and make money from the traffic. Most of these guys bought before the revenue stream came on line, and if you want to succeed, then you must obtain a good solid portfolio, before the revenue streams are firmly established, because you sure as hell won't be able to afford one afterwards!

alpha
1st August 2006, 09:23 AM
I have to say that I am bemused. It would seem to have been effectively proven here that Japanese traffic can be effectively monetized.

It is also clear that whilst Japanese traffic level remain very low, that the main reason for this is that lack of browser support, which is now only a matter of weeks away.

Why are people still prepared to pay more for Spamtastic.com than a good generic Japanese IDN. Anyone, who thinks I am an expert is completely wrong, because I have to say the market has got me totally baffled. I honestly thought people would be killing themselves to get on the IDN ladder at this stage.

I guess guys like Rick can afford to hang cool for a while yet though. 5 figure amounts are nothing to guys like this, if they see something they like. Also, you have to remember, domainers like Rick are not mega-organisations. They don't need to answer to Wall Street. They don't need a 20 year business plan. Frankly, they only have to please themselves. If getting to grips with markets in the Far East is just too much hassle, then they don't need to.

It is, however, important to remember that these guys came from nothing on the back of traffic. They haven't made money selling domains. Those that want to emulate them need to get in early as they did and make money from the traffic. Most of these guys bought before the revenue stream came on line, and if you want to succeed, then you must obtain a good solid portfolio, before the revenue streams are firmly established, because you sure as hell won't be able to afford one afterwards!

Well it's simple really. Either we are all fools collecting fools gold. Or they are all fools ignoring the 18k stuff.

BTW, spamtastic is taken in .com, .net, .org, .info. But if you are quick you may get yourself the .eu :p

alpha
1st August 2006, 09:27 AM
There's two camps.

1) the newbie

2) the ageing collector of IDN's

Newbies new on the scene feel obliged to pan for gold, why not - everyone else has? It will take them time to realise the gold has gone.

The ageing collector probably has "enough" idn's already. If what they have today won't make them rich in the future, then adding another one today probably won't make any difference.

Rubber Duck
1st August 2006, 09:45 AM
There's two camps.

1) the newbie

Newbies new on the scene feel obliged to pan for gold, why not - everyone else has? It will take them time to realise the gold has gone.

The ageing collector probably has "enough" idn's already. If what they have today won't make them rich in the future, then adding another one today probably won't make any difference.

Well, I agree with you there. Some Aging Collectors would be willing to sell a few for the same reasons. But clearly are not prepared to give them away.

The Newbies on the other hand are must have an understanding of the dynamics of the domain market. With the exception of the Indian Market, where there is still contraversy over the importance of IDN, most markets are getting pretty played out.

What needs to be understood is that although millions of domains are still available, 95% of the total value has already gone in most languages and certainly the more important and more lucrative languages.

I do not research domains anymore, and don't believe that most of the established players are actively looking. The reasons for this are not purely financial, but the rewards are just not there. I am not talking about financial rewards, because this was always as much an intellectual quest as a financial one. I mean that the buzz of finding a very mediocre name after hours of searching does not provide sufficient mental stimulus to motivate the established IDNer. It a bit like slogging all day in the garden just to end up with a pile of rocks and weeds.

Even in Hindi, things there cannot be that much left. I didn't get into the Hindi market to end up with names of a lot of obscure deities.

touchring
1st August 2006, 09:55 AM
There's two camps.

1) the newbie

There is still gold, not all is gone, but it has to be mined using huge cranes and drillers, the days in which people walk around and find 1 pound nuggets on the ground is over. But even with drillers, we only get 1 ounce nuggets after digging out 1000 tons of rocks. :p

alpha
1st August 2006, 10:08 AM
There is still gold, not all is gone, but it has to be mined using huge cranes and drillers, the days in which people walk around and find 1 kg nuggets on the ground is over.

Funny you should say that. I just regged a 211k ovt Japanese name (.JP)

There is much gold left in the .JP mine, but to many - this is obviously too expensive too.

Rubber Duck
1st August 2006, 10:10 AM
There is still gold, not all is gone, but it has to be mined using huge cranes and drillers, the days in which people walk around and find 1 kg nuggets on the ground is over.

And this is suitable sport for a Noobie. This is sounds to me that it is for those with resources. I know for a fact that some languages have been mined using dozens of computers working around the clock. The only reason that there is anything left at all at this stage, is that there is no statistically significant traffic. Current strategies have been based on measuring domains against other criteria. Once domains can be directly measure on their traffic then the game is over.

There is much gold left in the .JP mine, but to many - this is obviously too expensive too.

Yes, there will be some left there. You can tell that from the publicised stats.

124K currently registered. Clearly this is still a bit on the low side.

IDNCowboy
1st August 2006, 12:14 PM

i gotta say... even the .jp market is gettin very tight :)

Most stuff is regged. This was diff a few months ago...

Most of the stuff left now are keywords instead of generic dictionary words.

Rubber Duck
1st August 2006, 12:20 PM
i gotta say... even the .jp market is gettin very tight :)

Most stuff is regged. This was diff a few months ago...

Most of the stuff left now are keywords instead of generic dictionary words.

Reading between the lines, that was obvious when several players turned up on the Hindi scene.

There is still value in the niches, but they are gradually being played out, and the law of diminishing returns applies.

Most people with half a brain should be able to see that the after-market is now representing very good value.

IDNCowboy
1st August 2006, 12:21 PM
Reading between the lines, that was obvious when several players turned up on the Hindi scene.

There is still value in the niches, but they are gradually being played out, and the law of diminishing returns applies.

Most people with half a brain should be able to see that the after-market is now representing very good value.
not obvious to me - i stopped finding one worders two weeks ago lol.....

Remember RD it takes persistance ;-)

Explorer
1st August 2006, 12:24 PM
I wanted to post my asian stats, but I am so unorganized that I don't even have a folder for "asian".

I need to hire an IDN housekeeper.

Rubber Duck
1st August 2006, 12:28 PM
I wanted to post my asian stats, but I am so unorganized that I don't even have a folder for "asian".

I need to hire an IDN housekeeper.

It really isn't so tough. To know where your traffic is coming from just check Asian and refresh.

If you haven't got your Domains put into folders by language, I would suggest that is worth doing. Just create the folder, check the domains and then use the move command. As the domains are displayed in native script, it shouldn't be a major problem to work out which is which.

bwhhisc
1st August 2006, 05:03 PM
Odd, CTR seems unsually low? Are these Asian views?

Touchring, with Asian views only our Japanese portfolio has CTR of 19% which is more in line with the group.

rhys
1st August 2006, 05:26 PM
I think newbies should certainly "put in some time" in the old IDN goldmine. Sure, you can't pick nuggets off the floor anymore, but people with some skills and a willingness to work can find some fair gems especially the 2 word combos with OVT between 100K and 5K. I'm speaking here about Japanese of course.

I cannot say how thoroughly Indic languages or Thai or Vietnamese has been picked over but I doubt the hunt has been as thorough as in Japanese or Chinese IDNs. I suspect there is still a payoff there.

But when it comes to quality there is no doubt that one should aspire to have some good single word and 2 word domains with clear commercial value. This is a pretty good time to try to acquire some from the old timers. The ones that will sell to you. But I'm not a good example because I'm still a net buyer of IDNs and a reluctant seller.

Rubber Duck
1st August 2006, 06:27 PM
I think newbies should certainly "put in some time" in the old IDN goldmine. Sure, you can't pick nuggets off the floor anymore, but people with some skills and a willingness to work can find some fair gems especially the 2 word combos with OVT between 100K and 5K. I'm speaking here about Japanese of course.

I agree that spending some time in the IDN Goldmine is a good idea. What I was suggesting that perhaps that is not where they should be spending all of it. I have not doubt that on average most Newbies will be struggling to pick up value equivalent to that can currently be obtained in the Secondary Market. There are domains that going begging in the $10-50 dollar range that are probably much much more valuable than much of the stuff now being registered.

I cannot say how thoroughly Indic languages or Thai or Vietnamese has been picked over but I doubt the hunt has been as thorough as in Japanese or Chinese IDNs. I suspect there is still a payoff there./QUOTE]

Yes, but it should be borne in mind that here the pay-offs will be generally much smaller and arrive much later.

[QUOTE=rhys]But when it comes to quality there is no doubt that one should aspire to have some good single word and 2 word domains with clear commercial value. This is a pretty good time to try to acquire some from the old timers. The ones that will sell to you. But I'm not a good example because I'm still a net buyer of IDNs and a reluctant seller.

Yes, but that balance is currently much better than it has been and certainly a lot better than it will be, as soon as there is a general appreciation that there is monetizable traffic on IDN.

touchring
1st August 2006, 07:20 PM
Touchring, with Asian views only our Japanese portfolio has CTR of 19% which is more in line with the group.

IC, you should separate out Chinese and park at Dopa. It's good to know what names get traffic, because, at the end of the day, ppc multiples provide the min. price guarantee in the worst case scenario..