PDA

View Full Version : Conclusive Validation of IDN concept

Rubber Duck
25th January 2006, 10:01 AM
I have inadvertantly stumbled across conclusive proof of the IDN concept.

A couple of days ago I registered this as part of a suggestive sweep of Wordstats at Yandex.

xn--c1akhxjc.net услуги the service

Must have like it as it only scored 282620, which is actually pretty low compared with the rest of my registrations.

Put this one into a thread because of very substantial traffic particulary for Dot Net.

It was pointed out to me that this was probably a "Typo" of uslugi.net, which appears to be popular Ukrainian site.

Of course what we actually have here is a Transliteration. That means someone, indeed an awful lot of someones have tried to type this into address bar of an IDN enabled browser, but using a Cyrillic Keyboard, rather than a standard English Keyboard.

It is not difficult to see that I have a potential WIPO on my hands, as I will soon be getting more traffic than they are.

The concept of IDN is proven conclusively by this. Given a Cyrilic Keyboard and an enabled browser, Russians and Ukrainians will attempt to type in the IDN address, even if the site owner has not advertised or registered. God help any Company trying to do E-Commerce in Asia that has not taken this message on board!!!

Dave

Explorer
25th January 2006, 12:52 PM
I can confirm that a lot of my Russian IDNs get type-in traffic which is coming from Russia or Ukraine. The amount of traffic correlates with Yandex and OVT scores.

By the way, услуги means "services", which is plural and very generic. So, I wouldn't worry about WIPO.

Rubber Duck
25th January 2006, 12:59 PM
I can confirm that a lot of my Russian IDNs get type-in traffic which is coming from Russia or Ukraine. The amount of traffic correlates with Yandex and OVT scores.

By the way, услуги means "services", which is plural and very generic. So, I wouldn't worry about WIPO.

This appears to be utter MADNESS. It would seem that these guys want to trade under Services.net but have taken the Russian and transliterated back into Latin and are using that as a trading name.

Presumably the original concept was to get back to Russian at some point, but now they are stuffed because they don't have the IDN, which their would be customers are successfully typing in and will soon be landing here now that I have sorted out the URL Forwarding.

Is the World going mad, or have I just flipped totally???!!!

Dave

Explorer
25th January 2006, 01:11 PM
I think that 3-5 years from now, a lot of Russian speaking folks (or non-English speaking folks for that matter) will not think twice between choosing between an IDN and a non-IDN site to go to.

If the internet was developed by the Chinese, would an American type in chinese characters to find out the weather in Florida:-)?

IDNCowboy
26th January 2006, 01:01 AM
nice catch i was actually originallythinking of regging that too

donwebcorleone
28th January 2006, 03:50 PM
If the internet was developed by the Chinese, would an American type in chinese characters to find out the weather in Florida:-)?

nice point! i agree completely with you. but well i dont complain, asian domains seems a hot business and im just getting in on time! ; )