PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for names not Indexing Properly

Rubber Duck
5th August 2006, 06:11 PM
Well, the first non obvious one that I have come up with by a process of elimination, is that names that are not properly parked (in my case that mean ND at the moment) are much more likely not to be indexed at Google than those that are properly parked.

domainguru
5th August 2006, 06:26 PM
If you want to hand-submit, just go here:

http://www.google.co.uk/addurl/?hl=en&continue=/addurl

touchring
5th August 2006, 06:27 PM
Well, the first non obvious one that I have come up with by a process of elimination, is that names that are not properly parked (in my case that mean ND at the moment) are much more likely not to be indexed at Google than those that are properly parked.

Do you mean names that do not resolve? Names that do not resolve naturally will not be indexed by Google. :p

domainguru
5th August 2006, 06:30 PM
Do you mean names that do not resolve? Names that do not resolve naturally will not be indexed by Google. :p

Yes, don't forget search engines are interested in web pages not domains. If there are no web pages, there is nothing to interest search engines.

touchring
5th August 2006, 06:37 PM
Yes, don't forget search engines are interested in web pages not domains. If there are no web pages, there is nothing to interest search engines.

I suspect, RD meant a different idea, can't possibly be that he would believe a domain that has no webpage will be indexed! :p

Rubber Duck
5th August 2006, 10:25 PM
We seem to be able to get basic indexation on Yahoo for anything that is parked at ND in Russian, Arabic and Hindi, but not in Chinese or Japanese. The Chinese an probably be explained because of Dopa rather than ND, but the Japanese situation is perplexing and a real bummer!

rhys
6th August 2006, 04:13 AM
RD - are you sure that URL forwarding is working properly and the nameservers are pointing back at Domainsite? I made that mistake several times.

Rubber Duck
6th August 2006, 04:59 AM
RD - are you sure that URL forwarding is working properly and the nameservers are pointing back at Domainsite? I made that mistake several times.

Everywhere else worked without URL forwarding, just nameservers.

My problems appear to be that Nameservers were not correctly pointed with Japanese. Many were still with Dopa because they had been mixed with Chinese.

I have had problems updating Nameservers at Domainsite.com. I have put this down to IE 7 Beta 3. Switching to Opera for this operation resolved the issue.

Thinking about it, it would seem unlikely that Spiders will work on PRC hosted sites. If you want your Simplified Chinese Indexed at all then it is unlikely that will happen if they are pointed at Dopa. I would guesss the answer is to point them temporarily at ND for this purpose.

mulligan
6th August 2006, 11:39 AM
You have to change your nameservers back to Domainsite nameservers for URL forwarding to work properly is what Rhys is saying?

I have done this as well, setting up URL forwarding and forgetting to alter my namesrevers back from fastpark/dopa/SEDO nameservers to Domainsite nameservers...

Maybe Domainsite can 'fix' it so that when changing nameservers the bulk change can show the current nameservers instead of blank boxes??

I have also noticed that I have difficulty pointing nameservers at SEDO with newly registered names for some reason... I didnt discover this until they started emailing me that they couldnt confirm ownership of the names in question....
I then satrted checking the messages in my control panel and discovered quite a few bulk nameserver chnages had 'failed' for whatever reason... I now check the message in the control panel everytime to ensure the changes have been sucessful....

Rubber Duck
6th August 2006, 11:47 AM
You have to change your nameservers back to Domainsite nameservers for URL forwarding to work properly is what Rhys is saying?

I have done this as well, setting up URL forwarding and forgetting to alter my namesrevers back from fastpark/dopa/SEDO nameservers to Domainsite nameservers...

Maybe Domainsite can 'fix' it so that when changing nameservers the bulk change can show the current nameservers instead of blank boxes??

I have also noticed that I have difficulty pointing nameservers at SEDO with newly registered names for some reason... I didnt discover this until they started emailing me that they couldnt confirm ownership of the names in question....
I then satrted checking the messages in my control panel and discovered quite a few bulk nameserver chnages had 'failed' for whatever reason... I now check the message in the control panel everytime to ensure the changes have been sucessful....

Well I have had it working OK, but domains that Google Indexed Yahoo has left alone. I can tell everything was working correctly because the Indexing reflects the Meta Tags that I set. Normally, when you set up URL forwarding it removes all other A Records and set the Domainsite.com servers, but yes it is worth checking.

As an aside if you are having problems with updating Nameservers at DS, it is probably because you are using IE 7.0. There a clearly issue at this level. I have been using Opera for this purpose.

rhys
6th August 2006, 11:49 AM
Everywhere else worked without URL forwarding, just nameservers.

Hey RD - if you aren't even trying URL forwarding as Olney suggested with the metatags, it doesn't seem like you've exhausted the arsenal so to speak...

Well I have had it working OK, but domains that Google Indexed Yahoo has left alone. I can tell everything was working correctly because the Indexing reflects the Meta Tags that I set. Normally, when you set up URL forwarding it removes all other A Records and set the Domainsite.com servers, but yes it is worth checking.

As an aside if you are having problems with updating Nameservers at DS, it is probably because you are using IE 7.0. There a clearly issue at this level. I have been using Opera for this purpose.

Actually, when you set up URL forwarding, the Domainsite.com name servers do not get set automatically. It's a second step that I have to always reset the nameservers manually.

Rubber Duck
6th August 2006, 11:53 AM
Hey RD - if you aren't even trying URL forwarding as Olney suggested with the metatags, it doesn't seem like you've exhausted the arsenal so to speak...

Actually, when you set up URL forwarding, the Domainsite.com name servers do not get set automatically. It's a second step that I have to always reset the nameservers manually.

Holding my hands up on this one. We are not being Stone Walled at all. Although we have only limited success. The names are there! They are indexing. It is finding evidence of it that is one of the main problems. To verify listing on Yahoo for Japanese. Go to Yahoo.co.jp and search on the Unicode Version of the Domain. If it is there you should get first slot. Obviously, Japanese is a bit different that other languages in this respect, but some of them definitely are there, if you know how to look!