PDA

View Full Version : Kanji or Kana?

touchring
7th August 2006, 09:55 AM
Somehow i feel that Japanese will prefer Kanji for websites over Kana equivalents (even if the Kana has marginally higher OVT). What do Japanese speakers think?

Note: Marginally higher (like anything less than twice) - i'm not referring to cases where virtually only the Kana version is used.

Rubber Duck
7th August 2006, 09:58 AM
Somehow i feel that Japanese will prefer Kanji for websites over Kana equivalents (even if the Kana has marginally higher OVT). What do Japanese speakers think?

I think this has been discussed previously at length, and I think the conclusion was that they would use whatever was the most Japanese, whether it was Kana or Kanji.

touchring
7th August 2006, 10:02 AM
I think this has been discussed previously at length, and I think the conclusion was that they would use whatever was the most Japanese, whether it was Kana or Kanji.

Yes, it was discussed, but i think we underestimated the effect of "branding". A domain is not merely a keyword.

Rubber Duck
7th August 2006, 12:52 PM
If you want to know how Japanese will use IDN to brand then you should look at the TM register. All the big brands are already there. They already have their brands. That is what they will use.

If you are talking about making up memorable brands from scratch, then the first consideration is to make some arbituary so you have good title on the the TM. That rules out any single letter Kanji and an awful lot of two characters as well. Making up arbituary memorable Brands that will type in easily would be easier in Kana than Kanji, in my view.

If you are talking about using Generic Branding then you are back to whatever is the most Japanese.

rhys
7th August 2006, 03:05 PM
Touchring any examples what you mean? In general, I would say if the kana form is more popular the domain equivalent will be more popular too.

Olney
7th August 2006, 03:16 PM
It totally depends on the word.
Longer shorter visually doesn't matter.
Totally depends on what the term is.

For my domain Kawaii, I still don't know which would be more popular
on the net Kanji, katakana, or hiragana, all are used. This is a special case but there might be others like this.

& some terms sound better too, but that's something you can only tell by speaking the language.

markits
8th August 2006, 02:50 PM
Yes, it was discussed, but i think we underestimated the effect of "branding". A domain is not merely a keyword.

Effect of branding, you mean domains such as Tele.com or else?
BTW, I have just regged テレ.com (tele.com).