PDA

View Full Version : What's your outlook on IDNs and what's your strategy?

touchring
8th August 2006, 06:21 AM
Having been into IDNs for 8-9 months, i'm asking myself at which stage are we at? Let's have an anonymous survey on "What's your strategy".

thegenius1
8th August 2006, 06:31 AM
There are not enough optimistic options for me to choose from so i will pass on this survey !

touchring
8th August 2006, 06:37 AM
There are not enough optimistic options for me to choose from so i will pass on this survey !

From what i observe, i think either of this might suit you well. :)

1. I'm buying selectively - few people know about them, so type-in can increase 500-1000 times.

2. I'm on acquisition mode, because i believe IDNs will eventually be worth up to 50% of ASCII.

Hehe, first vote is:

I'm not doing anything because my GF/Wife scolded me for spending so much time on IDNs.

Anyways, my vote is:

I'm buying selectively - few people know about them, so type-in can increase 500-1000 times.

Drewbert
8th August 2006, 06:42 AM
Once you put up an option "My BF/Husband scolded me", then Jose will be able to vote.

touchring
8th August 2006, 06:46 AM
Once you put up an option "My BF/Husband scolded me", then Jose will be able to vote.

Only 10 minutes for me to put in the poll choices, also had to trim to 100 characters!, no time to think that thoroughly, i just put in what came to my mind first, but anyone can vote that GF option to mean BF or even mama, whatever, as long as it's the same idea.

thegenius1
8th August 2006, 06:50 AM
From what i observe, i think either of this might suit you well. :)

1. I'm buying selectively - few people know about them, so type-in can increase 500-1000 times.

2. I'm on acquisition mode, because i believe IDNs will eventually be worth up to 50% of ASCII.

I can agree with #1 , but not with number 2 because i see some IDN's surpassing ASCII value

touchring
8th August 2006, 06:52 AM
I can agree with #1 , but not with number 2 because i see some IDN's surpassing ASCII value

That 50% is an average figure, but for major languages like Chinese, Japanese and Russian, etc. 50% is a random number, but the idea is there, IDNs are selling for like 1% of ASCII right now?

Rubber Duck
8th August 2006, 07:05 AM
I can only state that I see a very low correlation between the title of the thread and the multiple choice options.

The title seems to be about where abouts in IDNs development we are at.

The options all seem to be more about personal outlooks on the eventual success of the market and peoples levels of optimism.

touchring
8th August 2006, 07:12 AM
I can only state that I see a very low correlation between the title of the thread and the multiple choice options.

The title seems to be about where abouts in IDNs development we are at.

The options all seem to be more about personal outlooks on the eventual success of the market and peoples levels of optimism.

Yes, some mismatch in thoughts while creating the poll - but i later decided that personal outlook will be a better poll topic, but it's too late to change the thread title. Only the mod can change. Also, the 10 minute time allowance to add in the poll is too short.

burnsinternet
8th August 2006, 07:17 AM
How about this? I'm on acquisition mode even though my GF/Wife scolds me weekly for spending so much time on IDNs. The IDN market now is very messy and good names are still out there, so I am still registering.

I picked up about a dozen good ones yesterday and a few gambles (in other words, some dot nets I couldn't resist). I am still running through my To Buy list from spring & summer and some dot coms had not been registered. Focus is on Japanese, Korean, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Russian still. My Chinese is terrible.

touchring
8th August 2006, 07:23 AM
How about this? I'm on acquisition mode even though my GF/Wife scolds me weekly for spending so much time on IDNs. The IDN market now is very messy and good names are still out there, so I am still registering.

I picked up about a dozen good ones yesterday and a few gambles (in other words, some dot nets I couldn't resist). I am still running through my To Buy list from spring & summer and some dot coms had not been registered. Focus is on Japanese, Korean, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Russian still. My Chinese is terrible.

I think a good majority people are affected by GF/Wife/BF/Husband scolds me weekly. So that option is more for people that have given in to their GF/Wife/BF. LOL

burnsinternet
8th August 2006, 07:44 AM
I think a good majority people are affected by GF/Wife/BF/Husband scolds me weekly. So that option is more for people that have given in to their GF/Wife/BF. LOL

In other words, "Everyone still active on this forum."

Edwin
8th August 2006, 07:58 AM
You've forgotten "I've finished acquiring and am now waiting for the IDN market to go where I expect it to" or wording something like that.

The above would cover me since I don't believe they're going to go up 500-1,000x but I do believe they will do much better in future, and because I already have 2,000+ IDN I'm happy with, I'm not actively buying/catching/regging much of anything any more.

From other threads on here, it sounded like a lot of folks were in the same boat as me.

alpha
8th August 2006, 08:08 AM
You've forgotten "I've finished acquiring and am now waiting for the IDN market to go where I expect it to" or wording something like that.

The above would cover me since I don't believe they're going to go up 500-1,000x but I do believe they will do much better in future, and because I already have 2,000+ IDN I'm happy with, I'm not actively buying/catching/regging much of anything any more.

From other threads on here, it sounded like a lot of folks were in the same boat as me.

Have you really stop regging?

I thought I saw you in the action the other day..

http://www.spencerturbine.com/News/image002.jpg

:p

ahhh the days of the Edwin vacuuming sessions.... them were the good ole' days

Wot
8th August 2006, 08:14 AM
I have overbought, probably applies to most of us.

I have a good ascii portfolio with some names 4/5 years old the offers have been steadily declining since a peak around this time last year. I am already pruning ,but the old story, difficult to determine the fringe names that will/should have value.

IDN not too difficult to prune as I only have to dump the crap I registered to reduce by around 33%.

All that said I think idns will probably do extermely well and we are all lucky to be in at some part of the birth.

touchring
8th August 2006, 08:34 AM

http://www.spencerturbine.com/News/image002.jpg

:p

ahhh the days of the Edwin vacuuming sessions.... them were the good ole' days

What's the photo about?

Edwin
8th August 2006, 09:11 AM

Yes, by and large. Perhaps an average of 1 IDN a day, which is just treading water really...

touchring
8th August 2006, 09:39 AM
I have overbought, probably applies to most of us.

I have a good ascii portfolio with some names 4/5 years old the offers have been steadily declining since a peak around this time last year. I am already pruning ,but the old story, difficult to determine the fringe names that will/should have value.

IDN not too difficult to prune as I only have to dump the crap I registered to reduce by around 33%.

All that said I think idns will probably do extermely well and we are all lucky to be in at some part of the birth.

Yes, big changes in the ASCII market since a year ago, i wish i sold all my ASCII .com completely then. What's the best move at the moment for ASCII, cut loss?

domainguru
8th August 2006, 01:18 PM
Yes, big changes in the ASCII market since a year ago, i wish i sold all my ASCII .com completely then. What's the best move at the moment for ASCII, cut loss?

What's the problem with ASCII domains exactly?

Rubber Duck
8th August 2006, 02:18 PM
What's the problem with ASCII domains exactly?

If you are trying to liquidate a lot of half-backed domains, it is probably tougher now than it was this time last year. The hype is still around, but people are getting smarter and they are starting to distinguish between quality and crap.

domainguru
8th August 2006, 02:19 PM
If you are trying to liquidate a lot of half-backed domains, it is probably tougher now than it was this time last year. The hype is still around, but people are getting smarter and they are starting to distinguish between quality and crap.

Ah ok. I am just liquidating quality domains that don't rely on hype, just earnings. I don't see any issues there :)

Rubber Duck
8th August 2006, 02:25 PM
Ah ok. I am just liquidating quality domains that don't rely on hype, just earnings. I don't see any issues there :)

That's right there aren't any issues, just as there won't be if you get quality IDN. If instead of getting quality domains in the secondary market, you plump to registere a lot of really numb IDN, don't expect ROI there either. This is precisely not about how many domains you have registered.

Olney
8th August 2006, 03:12 PM
I'm with Edwin
I only have 600 Japanese domains but I'm pretty happy with the quality & don't think it's easy for me to find the same quality so easily.
So instead of taking my hours to actively look I'm thinking of other things like how can I further the Japanese domaining market, or how to easily develop my own parking pages.

touchring
8th August 2006, 04:28 PM

Well said. But the problem is that non-trademark/non-typo English domains within the lower $XXXX range with 6-8 years earning ratio is almost impossible to buy earlier on, so either way, one can't be safe by buying ascii .com off the secondary market.

Most people that earned either caught them for cheap using various mouse traps or registered them like 8-10 years ago - these are people that really made money out of domains.

domainguru
8th August 2006, 05:03 PM
Well said. But the problem is that non-trademark/non-typo English domains within the lower $XXXX range with 6-8 years earning ratio is almost impossible to buy earlier on, so either way, one can't be safe by buying ascii .com off the secondary market.

Most people that earned either caught them for cheap using various mouse traps or registered them like 8-10 years ago - these are people that really made money out of domains.

You can still find great quality ASCII names that are owned but not being used. I made a system to find such names, and share it with a dozen or so domainers. True, they are getting hard to find, but they are still there. A typical scenario is to buy for a 2-3 years, and sell for 8 years.

Rubber Duck
8th August 2006, 05:11 PM

Well it is a bit like real estate investment or shares. The owner expects to get a modest income from rent or dividends but hopes to get substantial capital appreciation. The domainer hopes to get increased traffic levels and ever increasing PPC. The chances are that for the most part, he will be right. Online advertising is still in its infancy, demand for online advertising is still growing very quickly so high ROI is still possible even on 8-10 year current income.

touchring
8th August 2006, 05:13 PM
You can still find great quality ASCII names that are owned but not being used. I made a system to find such names, and share it with a dozen or so domainers. True, they are getting hard to find, but they are still there. A typical scenario is to buy for a 2-3 years, and sell for 8 years.

Hehe, yes, i included that scenario - "using various mouse traps".

Anyway, i just want to share with newbies that domaining is not as simple as what you see on forums or DNJournal articles - being inexperience and impatient last year, i was caught a little bit, but luckily i sold more ascii using some mouse traps i found than i bought. But in a way, i'm lucky to have learnt the lesson before starting on IDNs - sort of blessing in disguise. :)

Also, i have to remind myself - PATIENCE!

domainguru
8th August 2006, 05:22 PM
Hehe, yes, i included that scenario - "using various mouse traps".

Anyway, i just want to share with newbies that domaining is not as simple as what you see on forums or DNJournal articles - being inexperience and impatient last year, i was caught a little bit, but luckily i sold more ascii using some mouse traps i found than i bought. But in a way, i'm lucky to have learnt the lesson before starting on IDNs - sort of blessing in disguise. :)

Also, i have to remind myself - PATIENCE!

God yeah - unless you have been doing this for years and have a good system, I would say it is "next to impossible" to unearth ASCII gems, or find any kind of value in the ASCII market. IDNs is an entirely different kettle of fish !