PDA

View Full Version : High Value Domains

Rubber Duck
26th September 2005, 11:48 PM
Ok! This is the big question. What is worth more a domain with high local Overture or domains with modest Overture that are getting high numbers of Google Adword listing.
It seems that the two do not often coincide. I picked these up today:

xn--euts3n8lg6bk91h.com 日本語 教師 Japanese Teacher
xn--euts3nmz0au0g.net 英語教師 English Teacher
xn--6oq208asmf176al3h.com 英会話教師 English Conversation Teacher

What do you think?

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Olney
12th October 2005, 01:55 AM
As you probably realized (I'm just writing this for those who may come along afterwards)
You can'T predict the Value of Asian IDNs from looking at the English version of Adwords, OVT etc.

Adwords & OVT ads are geotargetted. That means if I look at a web page here in Tokyo IT WILL show completely different ads than users in England or the USA.

I believe using the bid tool only shows results from the US perspective.

Looking at the localized search results in the BEST way to see the popularity of a keyword & then you can also do a search on Yahoo Japan or Yahoo China, or use Google.co.jp or Google Chine URL (If there is one) sometimes just using Google.com or Yahoo.com it doesn't always gives ALL the results for that term. I've tested this & sometimes the English versions of the two produces less results but with IDNs your target is Japan & China so get results from their local vesions.

& with it all said you CANNOT base value on if a search has a domain extension with it. IDNs searched by domain extensions are rare as of now & you will get some domainers who will tell you it doesn't have value because it doesn't have an extension with the OVT results.

There are about 20 domains with .com's in the OVT results & almost all of them are already existing sites that Japanese people can't remember how to spell it in English letters.

So stick with general common sense, common keywords, common directory categories, common industry products, short terms, one word terms, you can't fail to get a return on your investment.

I know if I post on any other site about having the Japanese terms
アダルトビデオ.com (AdultVideo.com) or having アニメ.com (Anime.com) domainers would say it has little value.

These two terms are probably my personal gems because they are the two common terms for billion dollar industries. Adult Video & Anime couldn't be easier to remember.

Since I'm in Tokyo & if I sit & wait for the market to mature I'm sure I'm looking for at least a mid XXX,XXX figure for both.

Rubber Duck
12th October 2005, 06:43 AM
Very impressed with your evaluation of those domains. If you are anywhere near correct, then my portfolio could be worth many milliions of dollars!

I think I have just figured out, that you can use a Free Proxy Server to pretend to be anywhere you want to be. I think this will enable me to look at local Google Adwords around the globe. Will keep you posted on this development!

Have a look at:

http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl/download_proxyway

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Rubber Duck
12th October 2005, 11:40 AM
Yes, it is possilbe to use an anonymous proxy server to look at the Internet from a local perspective. The one I am using is IP 218.142.158.141 Port 8080. You could get up to to all sorts with this, but I did run in to the Great Firewall of China earlier!

Download again for software is:

http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl/download_proxyway

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

By the way I use Sedo's Japanese Menu Structure to register the following:

xn--pckua2a7g.net ボックス Box
xn--ruqy66l.com 保護 Protection
xn--dck1b3auz8b.net フィットネス Fitness
xn--nbk669qdyq.net 贈り物 Gift
xn--eckh3e2al3m0ee1f.net エンターテイメント Entertainment
xn--9ckao3dc7h.net ラップトップ Laptop

Wouldn't have seen any of that from the UK!

Olney
12th October 2005, 11:30 PM
Dave if you buy up eveything good it might take longer for more people to start buying & sell really good domains.

donwebcorleone
30th January 2006, 01:00 PM
Dear Dave, some of those words although im sure u get good OVT they are not what u want. Some are terms that arent used that much on daily japanese or u registered on the wrong japanese alphabet for the aim that u want or unfortunately you got it all wrong.

My advice is to check the word in the three japanese "alphabets" before to buy, so u can check in which one is used the most. For example some words are used/search in the 3 alphabets, another words only in 2 or in some words only 1 alphabet is used when u search for that word/meaning.

Rubber Duck
30th January 2006, 01:23 PM
Dear Dave, some of those words although im sure u get good OVT they are not what u want. Some are terms that arent used that much on daily japanese or u registered on the wrong japanese alphabet for the aim that u want or unfortunately you got it all wrong.

My advice is to check the word in the three japanese "alphabets" before to buy, so u can check in which one is used the most. For example some words are used/search in the 3 alphabets, another words only in 2 or in some words only 1 alphabet is used when u search for that word/meaning.

Yes, some languages are very complexed and we have certainly made errors. In many cases we have harvested very rapildy without making all the usual checks. If you are picking up terms at $7 each and 50% prove to be silt, it does not matter if there is plenty of gold dust left once you have finished panning. I don't see the process as complete until I have renewed a couple of times. Hopefully, by that stage much of the rubbish will be gone.

It will be a lot easier to sort out the quality domains once the traffic comes onstream, but those that wait for that level on security will end up with J*ck Sh*t!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon