PDA

View Full Version : Interesting data point re:type-in traffic

rhys
26th January 2006, 06:55 AM
I googled this from some dude's blog back in August, don't know if many of you saw it: . I'm interested in your thoughts. http://james.seng.sg/archives/cat_idn.html

And...don't bother, I already registered 日食中継.com "total eclipse" and 日食.com "eclipse" before posting this. :)

August 04, 2005
IETF Day Four
» IDN, IETF, Travel

Nakayama-sensei from Tokyo University shared a very pleasant story with me this morning.

They runs a popular site called Live Eclipse that keeps track of eclipse schedule. The site also have an Japanese IDN 日食中継.jp which they publise concurrently.

On the last eclipse, 9th April, they have over 2m hits in a single day. The interesting part is 15.8%, or over 400k of the hits comes from the IDN name 日食中継.jp. This is very surprising because the data we have in the past shows very little (less then 1%) utilization of IDN. This maybe the coming of age for IDN :-)

(Please bear in mind that 15.8% resolution is despite the fact that IE still don't have IDN support.)

Olney
26th January 2006, 10:22 PM
Actually I believe they have a mistake in the report

I believe the traffic is correct
I believe they are getting it from the IDN domain but...

They are getting it from the Search Engine Results...

We did research already to show on Yahoo Japan & Google Japan
IDN domains show up perfectly fine in Japanese....

I truly believe this is the way they are getting traffic.

One of my IDN domains get's a lot of traffic because it points to my personal site
but it is well ranked in Google Japan & Yahoo Japan

Rubber Duck
26th January 2006, 10:36 PM
I googled this from some dude's blog back in August, don't know if many of you saw it: . I'm interested in your thoughts. http://james.seng.sg/archives/cat_idn.html

And...don't bother, I already registered 日食中継.com "total eclipse" and 日食.com "eclipse" before posting this. :)

August 04, 2005
IETF Day Four
» IDN, IETF, Travel

Nakayama-sensei from Tokyo University shared a very pleasant story with me this morning.

They runs a popular site called Live Eclipse that keeps track of eclipse schedule. The site also have an Japanese IDN 日食中継.jp which they publise concurrently.

On the last eclipse, 9th April, they have over 2m hits in a single day. The interesting part is 15.8%, or over 400k of the hits comes from the IDN name 日食中継.jp. This is very surprising because the data we have in the past shows very little (less then 1%) utilization of IDN. This maybe the coming of age for IDN :-)

(Please bear in mind that 15.8% resolution is despite the fact that IE still don't have IDN support.)

This story is about an IDN research project. The University nationally advertised their website about the Solar Eclipse which was a topic that was known would attract a lot of traffic in Japan. Both IDN and ASCII Domains were advertised and the traffic on each was measured and compared.

If you spent the kind of money that was required advertising something of general interest for which you were providing high class information on your site you too might get that kind of traffic.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Olney
26th January 2006, 10:49 PM
Ok I didn't realize they were big ballers like that!!!
I stand corrected...

I didn't read the article I just know how people translate things wrong sometimes (many times) in Japanese...

IDNCowboy
26th January 2006, 10:53 PM
This story is about an IDN research project. The University nationally advertised their website about the Solar Eclipse which was a topic that was known would attract a lot of traffic in Japan. Both IDN and ASCII Domains were advertised and the traffic on each was measured and compared.

If you spent the kind of money that was required advertising something of general interest for which you were providing high class information on your site you too might get that kind of traffic.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
I almost got a nice name in that area (IDN) but decided against it lol guess I made the bad move :P

Rubber Duck
26th January 2006, 10:56 PM
I almost got a nice name in that area (IDN) but decided against it lol guess I made the bad move :P

I read this article six months ago and I must admit it did not occur to me.

Massive traffic, provided you are prepared to hang on for the next major Eclipse and pump in the advertising budget , I guess.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon