PDA

View Full Version : IE7 Release Date News

domainguru
12th August 2006, 10:10 AM
Source: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/chats/transcripts/06_0810_ez_ie.mspx

Summary:

Dave Massy [MSFT] (Moderator):
Q: when will IE 7 be released
A: Hi jelly bean, We are planning an update in the 3rd quarter of this year with final release in the fourth quarter of this calendar year.

Q: does that mean there'll be a Beta 4? or just an update to Beta 3?
A: The next update will be a release candidate prior to the final release.

Q: in several of the past IE Expert chats you stated that there were no plans to distribute IE7 as an automatic update, why the about face?
A: While we are distributing through automatic updates this still requires the consent of the user to install. we have been consistent in our position that it woudl be wrong for my Dad to wake up one mornign and have a new browser with tabs as he woudl get confused. We do believe that prompting users through automatic updates is the correct approach so that users can gain from teh security improvements in IE7.

So looks like release candidate September, then actual launch early December maybe? I doubt we can hope for a final release before that. But at least Msoft staff seem 100% sure IE7 will be released via "automatic update", which is far more important to us than the odd (!) delay.

Rubber Duck
15th August 2006, 04:57 PM
Source: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/chats/transcripts/06_0810_ez_ie.mspx

Summary:

Q: when will IE 7 be released
A: Hi jelly bean, We are planning an update in the 3rd quarter of this year with final release in the fourth quarter of this calendar year.

Q: does that mean there'll be a Beta 4? or just an update to Beta 3?
A: The next update will be a release candidate prior to the final release.

Q: in several of the past IE Expert chats you stated that there were no plans to distribute IE7 as an automatic update, why the about face?
A: While we are distributing through automatic updates this still requires the consent of the user to install. we have been consistent in our position that it woudl be wrong for my Dad to wake up one mornign and have a new browser with tabs as he woudl get confused. We do believe that prompting users through automatic updates is the correct approach so that users can gain from teh security improvements in IE7.

So looks like release candidate September, then actual launch early December maybe? I doubt we can hope for a final release before that. But at least Msoft staff seem 100% sure IE7 will be released via "automatic update", which is far more important to us than the odd (!) delay.

<<Travis [MSFT] (Expert):
Q: Hiya, would it be possible for IE7 have a feature which allows you to 'lock' a page so therefore stop you from accidentally navigating away from it?
A: That sounds like a great feature request! IE7 is pretty much locked down for shipping, but we can consider this for a future release ;) >>

Well, if they are to be believed, then we have just entered a prolonged Butt Scratching Era!

thegenius1
15th August 2006, 05:10 PM
Q: Hiya, would it be possible for IE7 have a feature which allows you to 'lock' a page so therefore stop you from accidentally navigating away from it?
A: That sounds like a great feature request! IE7 is pretty much locked down for shipping, but we can consider this for a future release ;) >>

ReD means Debt lets change the Color

touchring
15th August 2006, 05:17 PM
Looks like the delay did some good, it made them confident enough for an auto-update. :)

rhys
15th August 2006, 07:03 PM
My money is on a November final release. That's how I would read "4th Quarter".

tee1
15th August 2006, 07:09 PM
I hope its earlier(like next month), but my money is with you on this one.
tee1

Rubber Duck
15th August 2006, 07:17 PM

Well, if you use the same logic on the RC, you might conclude that would be out tomorrow. I think it is unlikely that there will be three months between the two. Microsoft have a track record of releasing IE 7.0 builds before the time that they have previously indicated. I personally don't think they want to give too many clues or box themselves in.

I think we are on track for an RC at the end of August with Automatic Updates probably going into effect around the end of September. The fact that both version of IE 7 are now effectively called the same thing again is only adding to the confusion, which may be deliberate!