PDA

View Full Version : IDN's and PageRank

rawkinrich
14th August 2006, 05:14 PM
Hi all,

I have owned Vendée.com for a while now, it has simply been parked at Sedo. I notched up a page and I've noticed the Google PR bar is grey.

Whats the deal?

Richard

blastfromthepast
14th August 2006, 05:21 PM
Nice page but it is all in English.

14th August 2006, 05:25 PM
Irrelevant, i didnt see your site prior to posting it

A Question that was asked simular to yours:

Q: This is the situation:
I have a domain name that has been parked for a while at a certain registrar, this registrar has a generic page on all parked domains that have a bunch of links in this format:
www.myurl.com/index.afx a=search&term=Entertainment
www.myurl.com/index.afx a=search&term=Insurance
www.myurl.com/index.afx a=search&term=Life Insurance
etc.. You get the idea

I am assuming they are trying to get some money out of my parked domain - no big deal.

The big deal IS that Google somehow has crawled the site when it was parked, listed all the pages, and GAVE THE DOMAIN NAME A pr0

I found out because I finally developed the site, and when I looked at the pr it was "0", I thought that was kind of strange because the site only has been "live" for a few days and already had a pr value.

I looked at the logs, and about every day, Googlebot (fresh bot) comes and tries to find the pages that were in the parked domain:
www.myurl.com/index.afx a=search&term=Entertainment
www.myurl.com/index.afx a=search&term=Insurance
etc.

But the weird part is Googlebot never seems to request my home page (default.asp), it always goes to robots.txt and those "index.afx" pages that don't exist anymore.
It has been doing the same thing for several days.

On more weird thing, two days ago the site was found in google by entering www.myurl.com, now it is not in Google (Sorry, no information is available for the URL www.myurl.com) and it shows a gray bar.

Please anyone tell me what is happening.

I am very concerned about this, because if I am right, and Google is giving pr0s than banning parked domains, I am royally screwed - I have a few more parked domains at the same place and they all show prO.

A: pr0 is the normal pr for any page in the index without links from pages with higher pr.
A: Give it a day or 2 I had a similar thing happen last month and it cleared right up. It does make the heart go pitter patter. I had a domain that was parked and my partner mirrored our main site with it. I decided to use it and changed it. A few days later a 0 pr. Youch, then 2 days later it was fine. Now it has a nice pr4 and this was early Jan. No guarentees but it might just be a hiccup.
A: I just put up a new site also and it came in at pr0 as soon as it was published. Normally my new sites get the grey bar.
What does this mean? Nothing! I have had new sites go from grey bar to pr0 and then pr4 and climb from there. It's a waiting game. If you play by the rules you will eventually get the pr the site deserves. pr0's and grey bars are not bans except when you have been demoted to that level from a higher pr

blastfromthepast
14th August 2006, 05:28 PM
Google sometimes crawls within seconds of site creation.

So, set your default nameservers at your registrar not to be their nameservers.

It is better not to resolve a site at all than to resolve with a registrar's parking page.

rawkinrich
14th August 2006, 05:33 PM
Nice page but it is all in English.

That's a slight problem as I don't know french ;)

thefabfive
14th August 2006, 05:50 PM
That's a slight problem as I don't know french
No problem...

Instant content from Wiki (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vend%C3%A9e)

rawkinrich
14th August 2006, 05:57 PM
Is it allowed to use content from Wikipedia?

thefabfive
14th August 2006, 06:01 PM
Yes it is. Check out the fine print at the bottom of the page - "All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License. "

Olney
14th August 2006, 06:06 PM
It's a problem with IDNs & PageRank
There are some that do... Some old IDNs do but most don't.
Google acknowledged this problem already.
I wrote about it on a Google employee's Blog.
I would advice anyone to NOT email Google about getting pageRank for parked domains. If anything Google will try to filter them out of their index.

Q: “Any results on why IDN Domains don’t show pagerank?”
A: I’ve seen a couple that do, but I’ll check into why most don’t. My guess is that there’s a normalization issue somewhere in the toolbar PageRank pathway.

Anyway this was in March & I can't see that we've made a big progression oon the development front yet.

Google's not going to on the side of domain parking only developed sites.