PDA

View Full Version : Is "Internet" International Word

bwhhisc
27th January 2006, 11:15 AM
Does anyone know if the English word "Internet" more or less an internationally known word, referring more to those that don't speak any English. I am referring to it being incorporated in native languages and scripts, but with the English sound.

Perhaps similar to how the word "cola" has been adopted into many languages with variations on the English. Another example would be "Chocolat" in French for the English spelling Chocolate. Thanks.

Rubber Duck
27th January 2006, 12:46 PM
Does anyone know if the English word "Internet" more or less an internationally known word, referring more to those that don't speak any English. I am referring to it being incorporated in native languages and scripts, but with the English sound.

Perhaps similar to how the word "cola" has been adopted into many languages with variations on the English. Another example would be "Chocolat" in French for the English spelling Chocolate. Thanks.

I think that is probably the case. I have seen a fair bit of evidence that this occurring with Web, and with internet I have seen quite a lot of evidence of it just being adopted in using the Latin Characters. Some ASCII domains will survive the IDN onslaught, even in the Far East, but they are going to have to be pretty special!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
27th January 2006, 12:47 PM
Internet in Simplified Chinese is 互联网 (US OVT 121). In Taiwan and Hong Kong, it's a different word.

People in China do not use the word 'Internet'. The only English word used actively is 'byebye', even then, it is sinonized in written form as '拜拜'.

bwhhisc
27th January 2006, 01:23 PM
Touchring...would the general population "recognize" the word when they hear it and know what it is? How about cola? I know they do in Greece and most of the European countries would probably be a yes, but I don't know the percentages...

touchring
27th January 2006, 01:46 PM
I'm afraid the standard of english is very low, in china especially.

In most cities in china only university graduates can read english (i'm not even talking about speaking or writing), and i've seen PhD people that can't speak or write proper english. Many of the Chinese that work in foreign companies are either English majors or took special English courses in the University.

I would like to add that there are exceptions and there are Chinese that improve their English through self-study and having foreign chat friends, but they are a small minority.

bwhhisc
27th January 2006, 03:42 PM
I was inquiring only about the one word- Internet. If you asked a person that did not speak English, but was literate to read, would they maybe have heard it.

Opposite to this, most English speaking persons know a few Chinese words-(I hope they are all Chinese) "zen", "yin and yang" "chi", "kung fu".

Where I am going with this....is to discuss .net endings in up and coming areas of China, Russia, Eastern Europe etc. JUST MAYBE...people that have heard the word INTERNET, might more closely relate to .net that .com?

"We" live in a .com world (according to some)...I am thinking about the up and coming global internet world.

touchring
27th January 2006, 04:11 PM
Well, a survey must be done for the word "internet".

bwhhisc
27th January 2006, 04:32 PM
Waiting for more opinions from other forum members about their countries in Middle East, Russia, etc. Comments and thoughts welcome...

touchring
27th January 2006, 04:52 PM
Waiting for more opinions from other forum members about their countries in Middle East, Russia, etc. Comments and thoughts welcome...

I see, i think i know your the meaning of your question.

.Net is perceived as internet service provider, internet registry, or network website in most of East Asia (not sure about Japan and Korean though). Many ISPs and registries use .net.xx (.net.cn, .net.tw, .net.hk, .net.my., .net.sg, .net.id) - which are assigned by cTLD registries earlier on, and probably now free to register for some.

E.g.
cnnic.net.cn - China Internet Network Information Center
twbbs.net.tw - Taiwan Forum
pacific.net.sg - Pacific Internet (ISP)
nic.net.sg - SGNIC
school.net.hk - HK School Network
twnic.net.tw - TWNIC

IDNCowboy
27th January 2006, 05:36 PM
I see, i think i know your the meaning of your question.

.Net is perceived as internet service provider, internet registry, or network website in most of East Asia (not sure about Japan and Korean though). Many ISPs and registries use .net.xx (.net.cn, .net.tw, .net.hk, .net.my., .net.sg, .net.id) - which are assigned by cTLD registries earlier on, and probably now free to register for some.

E.g.
cnnic.net.cn - China Internet Network Information Center
twbbs.net.tw - Taiwan Forum
pacific.net.sg - Pacific Internet (ISP)
nic.net.sg - SGNIC
school.net.hk - HK School Network
twnic.net.tw - TWNIC
is .net more popular in your country and other foreign countries as i noticed that some appear high in results and they also seem pretty popular vs the number of popular .net's in the states.

touchring
27th January 2006, 06:51 PM
I agree, partly it is due to mandatory policy for ISP and some internet companies to use .NET in some countries.