PDA

View Full Version : Use of ccTLds vs .com in China/Japan/Korea/Russia etc.

Timm
27th January 2006, 09:58 PM
To which extend do chinese, japanese etc. prefer their own ccTLD over .com?
In Germany you always first check. de before you check.com
Probably the same in those countries.
What about the old subdomain structures as .co.jp or .com.cn?

Short: Which has the most typein traffic, eg in China:

IDN.com
IDN.com.cn
IDN.cn

sarcle
27th January 2006, 10:13 PM
There have been lots of discussions over this you may use the search and you will find many.

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/japanese-idn-domains/domains-362.html?highlight=cctld

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/general-discussion/domains-115.html?highlight=cctld

You will find much more than these.

But in china it seems .com then .cn
In japan it seems .jp and then .com

Rubber Duck
27th January 2006, 11:39 PM
My view is that the introduction of a whole range of different scripts fundamentally alters the roles and hence the balance of ccTLDs and gTLDs.

As the relationships between Political boundaries, languages, scripts and even economics vary enourmously, I think there is also the possibility of lots of different scenarios.

In general though, I would suggest that in Non-Latin Script countries there is going to be a general shift away from ccTLDs back to gTLDs and to dot com in particular.

Recently the growth of the dot com registry has almost stalled short of the 50Million mark, because it just about impossible to register anything in ASCII that is significantly more meaningful that the IP address that the domain will represent.

The introduction of dozen of new scripts, however, open the whole thing up again. I can envisage the dot com registry expanding to 500 Million, with at least three quarters being IDN. ASCII dot coms will be a small minority. Dot Com can expand enourmously in Asia before the markets become saturated and new extensions are required. In the West, however, dot com is like a relay runner handing over the Batton, to others. Much of the future demand will be satified by ccTLDs such as dot US and other gTLDs. Dot Net is remarkably robust and will probably be the biggest beneficiary.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon