PDA

View Full Version : Are Google Geotargetting Search Listings?

Rubber Duck
22nd August 2006, 01:24 AM
I don't know whether it is me, but when I am searching on Cyrillic terms I seem to be getting a lot more English results than I previously had the impression I was getting. I know that the Adwords are Geotargeted, but is the same technology now being applied to the main search listings. Are we all getting different search result from Google.com depending on our own IP Location?

22nd August 2006, 01:30 AM
Yes.

Organic and paid.

Rubber Duck
22nd August 2006, 01:33 AM
Yes.

Organic and paid.

So SERP is all relative then! Even if my terms were top in Russia I would not necessarily see them, as the helpful SE will just bury me in results that it thinks are suited to an English context?

22nd August 2006, 01:40 AM
Lets try for example the word rims

i get (in israel)

Paid results:

Sponsored Links

Rims
10% off all Wheels Till July 4th
Huge Selection - All Vehicles
www.WheelsNext.com

The World Price Leader
Super Deals on Rim & Tire Packages
Any Brand, Any Size, Any Vehicle!
www.DubEmpire.com

Organic Results:

Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS)Not-for-profit professional international association. Provides a career center, educational courses, annual conference, discussion groups, directory of ...
www.rims.org/ - 128k - 20 Aug 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

Custom wheels, car rims, truck rims, chrome rims, chrome wheels ...Custom wheels and rims with an option to buy tires, installed and balanced.
www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/ - 48k - Cached - Similar pages

Wheels, Rims, Tires:Car Wheels, chrome wheels:Lakeshore Wheel and ...Providing factory alloy wheels, chrome rims, used wheels, tires and repair services.
www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/ - 44k - Cached - Similar pages

RIMSResearch Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Kyoto, Japan.
www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/ - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

Wholesale Custom Wheels | Tires | Chrome Rimswholesale custom wheels, custom rims and discount tire packages from The Wheel Connection.
www.thewheelconnection.com/ - Similar pages

Custom Wheels and Car Rims-Chrome Rims-Truck Rims-Custom RimsOffering Custom Wheels and Car Rims at discount prices. We carry Truck Rims, Chrome Rims and Custom Rims with free delivery. Car Wheels and Truck Wheels in ...
www.custom-wheels-car-rims.com/ - 38k - Cached - Similar pages

Victoria Tire and WheelJust find which tires and which wheels you desire cheap rims. 20 inch rims call us at 1-888-412-8473. We will walk you through a wheel buying decision to ...
www.victoriatire.com/ - Similar pages

Wheels, Tires, Custom Rims and moreSells custom wheels, tires, and accessories for vehicles. Choose from over 240 brands of wheels for your vehicle.
superbuytires.com/ - 56k - 20 Aug 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

Custom wheels, chrome wheels, chrome rims, truck wheels, car rims ...Custom wheels and rims distributor for wholesale and retail customers. We offer custom wheels and tire packages, chrome wheels, chrome rims, truck wheels, ...
www.customwheel.com/ - 41k - 20 Aug 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

RIMSRehabilitation in Multiple Sclerosis (RIMS), the network of MS Centres in Europe was ... RIMS is a dynamic interdisciplinary Multiple Sclerosis Management ...
www.rims.be/ - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

Olney
22nd August 2006, 01:41 AM
Yes there is more than one Google
Google.com is filtered for English terms & keywords
Google.co.jp is filtered for Japanese keywords

When someone says they are number 1 in Google, they might be but being number 1 in Google.com doesn't mean a term is number 1 in all the international versions.

Searches are IP based, browser based, language of your computer based
Some of these are active on the correct versions of Google.

Point is don't base results from Google.com for international terms
but depending on where you are & the computer you use
if you type in Google.com it will go to the correct international version of Google.

22nd August 2006, 01:43 AM
Or Hebrew word מולטימדיה (multimedia)

Paid Results:

Sponsored Links

iConception Multimedia
Video Productions & 3D Animation
מצגות עסקיות וסרטי תדמית
www.iconception.co.il

ללמוד ולעבוד באנימציה
נשיא טכנולוגיות, מרכז הדרכה
לתקשורת חזותית, אנימציה וקולנוע
www.nasi.co.il

Mvision
מתמחים בהפקת מצגות
אינטראקטיביות מרשימות.
www.mvision.co.il

מייזלר
הפקה, עריכת וידאו ומולטימדיה
המרות וידאו לקבצים ול DVD
www.meisler.com

בניית אתרים Kuchi
החברה המובילה בארץ לבניית אתרים.
תכנון יעוץ ועיצוב ממשק משתמש, UI
www.kuchi.co.il

AllJobs הכל באתר אחד
משרות הייטק, כל המודעות מכל הלוחות
למעלה מ-500 הצעות עבודה עדכניות
www.AllJobs.co.il

מצגות עסקיות
עיצוב ובניית מצגות
תוך זמן קצר
www.Gecko.co.il

לימודי מחשבים ואלקטרוניקה
מבחר הצעות עדכניות מכל בתי הספר
באתר אחד- הטבות מעולות לנרשמים!
www.Nirshamim.co.il

Organic Results:

אימפליי מולטימדיה בע"מ - יישומי אינטרנט, לומדות, קטלוגים, מצגותImply Multimedia ia a leading developer and services supplier of data management, web applications, presentations, web sites and marcom tools.
www.imply.co.il/ - 34k - 20 Aug 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

EZ interactionEZ Navigation is a graphic design company specializing in the creation and the production of advanced applications for the Internet and multimedia industry.
www.eznavigate.com/ - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

חיפושית מולטימדיה / עיצוב אתרים / מצגות / באנרים / מולטימדיה ...The Home Site of HIPUSHIT - a multimedia studio for Websites, Presentations, Gui and Computer courses.
www.hipushit.co.il/ - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

Welcome to Atlantis Multimedia Ltd3D animation, Photo realism Images, Internet Sites creation, Multimedia Presentation, The New Israeli Airport - 2000 Project.
www.atlantis-pro.com/ - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

YKMultimedia Ltd.Offers web site development, multimedia presentations, GUI, interactive games, identity, print, video, CD-ROM/DVD authoring, 3D modeling, animations, ...
www.ykm.co.il/ - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Eternal Egypt - MultimediaMultimedia:, Multimedia. Eternal Egypt offers a wide selection of multimedia that allows you to learn about and experience the wonders of Egypt in many ...
www.eternalegypt.org/.../HomeServlet?ee_website_action_key=action.display.views&language_id=1 - 90k - Cached - Similar pages

Nana - softwareכל הקטגוריות, חופשי, שיתופי, דמו, קוד פתוח, פרסומות. פרה פרה >. קטגוריית מולטימדיה. גרפיקה ועיבוד תמונות · הצגת ולכידת תמונה · וידיאו ואנימציה · ממירים ...
software.nana.co.il/TreeNode/?NodeID=4485 - 56k - Cached - Similar pages

באום - עיצוב מולטימדיה, מצגות עסקיות, קול ותמונהסטודיו יגאל באום הוקם בשנת 1996 ומאז עוסק ב: בניית אתרים, תחזוקת אתרים, יצירת סרטונים ואתרים בפלאש ,בניית אתרים דינמיים מבוססי מאגרי נתונים ,תכנות מתקדם ...
www.igal-baum.co.il/multimedia/ - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

מולטימדיה - ויקיפדיהמקור: http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/מולטימדיה שונה לאחרונה ב־03:48, 22 יולי 2006. הטקסט מוגש בכפוף ל־GNU Free Documentation License. ...
he.wikipedia.org/wiki/מולטימדיה - 18k - Cached - Similar pages

פאי מולטימדיההפקת מצגות מולטימדיה למסחר, שיווק, תדמית, הדרכה, בידור ופרטי. עיצוב והקמת אתרים, הקלטת ארועים והפקת דיסקים.
www.elc-music.com/ - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

Rubber Duck
22nd August 2006, 01:46 AM
Well Mosha, I am getting the same Organic results as you are, exactly. Of course the paid results are completely different!

Edwin
22nd August 2006, 01:49 AM
Your safest bet is always to go to Google.appropriatecountryextension

For instance, to check Japanese rankings, go to http://www.google.co.jp. To check UK results (yes, they do differ!) go to http://www.google.co.uk/.

Google.com may correctly reflect your location, but only if you NEVER clicked on the link to set it to English mode. By going to each regional Google, you can be sure.

This applies to Yahoo! as well, and MSN. All geotarget to some extent, and all will show you the most "local" results when you go to the appropriate country version of their site.

22nd August 2006, 01:54 AM
I posted it on the other thread..link was bad..but it is

google-search-tool.com where u see the diffrences for the diffrent countries (organic results)

22nd August 2006, 05:33 AM
Well Mosha, I am getting the same Organic results as you are, exactly. Of course the paid results are completely different!

I dont know how diffrent and how often results change but from the example it appears they are diffrent though nothing major (regardless,it is safe to say that if that is i.e a russian idn it sure will get its advantage in the local google...once google gets to making the necessary changes)

The image wont show..but its the word sex in russian ( секс ) in google-dance-tool.com (you need to check all for google data centers and countries to include)

Moshe.

http://www.zippyfiles.com/v/912648/print1.tif

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

google.COM results vary by searcher IP

I have a problem that has me confused and concerned. Any help or insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

A client of ours has been complaining lately that they are showing up on page 5 or 6 of the search results. Each and every time we try to verify this on Google.com, we find the client much, much higher in the results.

After repeated complaints, we couldn't dismiss it as a data center discrepancy any more. Since the client is searching from the U.S. and we are searching from Canada, we thought this might be a factor. We used a proxy in the U.S. and sure enough, the results were similar to what the client was saying.

Please note that all searches were completed on google.com NOT google.ca. The search results were different based on searcher IP on the generic Google.COM site - and yes, we're sure. No, cookies were not a factor. We used Canadian IP addresses in Toronto and Ottawa, and used U.S. IP addresses in Illinois, California, and Texas to perform searches. The results for the U.S. addreses all match, and the results from the Canadian addresses all match. Both results sets are different.

You can see what I mean in these two screenshots. Out of respect for the client, I have just used a search for my name to illustrate this. The first is a screenshot of search results from Toronto, the second is a search from Chicago. As you can plainly see, both searches are on google.COM. The client is seeing a MUCH bigger discrepancy than is shown here.

http://www.theoverlands.com/helen/i...hot_toronto.gif
http://www.theoverlands.com/helen/i...hot_chicago.gif

Now I know most of the factors that affect google.ca results being different - such as hosting, domain TLD, address, etc. etc. etc. But the idea of google.com results being different according to searcher IP address concerns me.

If Google begins to rank sites higher based on where it guesses the searcher to be - what does this mean for companies that serve nationally? Or for companies that serve internationally? Will there come a day when the New York Stock Exchange (not the client) will not show up for searches done in California? An exaggeration, but it illustrates the idea.

If anyone has any insight at all into this, or can verify what I'm seeing, it would be greatly appreciated. Or if this has been happening for a while and I've missed it and now look silly, that would be helpful information, too. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than to start double-checking all client rankings from multiple IP locations?

Google Results Different Outside The US

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANSWER:

Just came from a session of our SES London show dealing with language issues and how search engines create listings for their non-US sites.

Google suggested that it's doing more to show different results to those outside the US, if you use non-US versions of Google.

In other words, say you do a search at Google.com across the entire web, then use Google Germany to do the same search across the entire web. Traditionally, the results have been the same except for some possible minor variances.

Today, Google implied that the Google Germany search would now be more skewed toward favoring German related sites -- even if you hadn't specifically used the filter to German sites option. In other words, nothing would be filtered, but because you are using the German site, those sites might get a preference.

Google even implied that if you were to go to Google.com from outside the US, the results there might be more customized to your location, even when searching the entire web -- though likely to less degree than if you searched the entire web on Google Germany.

I keep saying implied because they stopped short of saying they actually do this, phrasing things like "you can imagine that we might" or "it wouldn't be surprising if." Qualifications aside, it explains some increasing reports I've heard from others that searching the entire web via Google but from outside the US brings back