PDA

View Full Version : Namedrive .net vs. .com

Lmg67
23rd August 2006, 02:41 AM
I am very surprised to see that almost all of my most frequently viewed domain names on NameDrive are .nets, EVEN when I also have the same domain name in .com!!!! It's almost all .nets, whether the language is German, Hebrew, Arabic, Ch/JP, etc. I think I'd heard that Germans prefer .net over .com, but is this becoming the trend for most countries??? (the only exception seems to be Russian) I'm just not sure what to make of this, and I'm also wondering if others are experiencing the same thing?
Laurie

markits
23rd August 2006, 02:47 AM
Same here.
bot visit?

rhys
23rd August 2006, 03:11 AM
For me this is only true until I filter out North American traffic, then most of my Asian traffic is hitting .coms , and NA is hitting .nets. This we suspect is a particularly busy bug out of NA this month.

Drewbert
23rd August 2006, 03:13 AM
Yeah. It's a bot.

blastfromthepast
23rd August 2006, 05:04 AM
What is the point of a bot that goes nuts on .nets?

Drewbert
23rd August 2006, 05:48 AM
Beats the shit outta me.

alex
23rd August 2006, 10:12 AM
I see more .net traffic than I expected (real local traffic and clicks), but I usually find with my own .nets and others listed on this forum that there is already an established, branded (even though not TMed) site on the phonetic ASCII.net equivalent of the name.

Rubber Duck
23rd August 2006, 11:06 AM
What is the point of a bot that goes nuts on .nets?

My take is that is one of these service that observes dropping dot coms and offers to acquire them for the dot net holder.

burnsinternet
23rd August 2006, 01:24 PM
I am getting far more views in dot nets when I have the dot com, too. In all languages. More clicks on dot coms in most cases.

However, some of my dot nets are indexed but not the dot coms.

Drewbert
23rd August 2006, 05:51 PM
My take is that is one of these service that observes dropping dot coms and offers to acquire them for the dot net holder.

They don't need to visit a .net site to figure out who the owner is. In fact, that's not going to help at all.

Rubber Duck
23rd August 2006, 06:05 PM
They don't need to visit a .net site to figure out who the owner is. In fact, that's not going to help at all.

Yes, I guess your right. Well then, I haven't got an earthly!

Drewbert
23rd August 2006, 06:43 PM
ND needs to block the bot and also advise us where it's coming from.

Lmg67
27th August 2006, 05:21 PM
thanks for all the ideas. I guess the bottom line is we don't really know but we think it's a bot. That's more than I knew when I asked the question so thanks.