PDA

View Full Version : Interlinking.

26th August 2006, 04:40 PM
Discussion/opinions about When building a network from your sites and want to interlink within them.

Where is the boundary for interlinking of related sites?
Why do I ask? Most of my colleagues agree that one should not interlink their own sites - even when it makes sense from the user's perspective. For some reason, there is a stigma that the SEs may frown upon networks run by the same person/company. Do you believe this to be true?

I bring this up because I was at an IAC site (CitySearch) and they had listed all of their related - and non-related - websites in the footer. They seemed not to be suffering any ill-affect by this interlinking (and all had solid PR8's to boot). Why should I worry about doing the same - especially if it benefits my users? Can anyone present a solid argument for me not to engage in this seemingly logical approach to interlinking?

What's from stopping me from interlinking all of my Florida Keys websites... the Boogeyman?

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum12/2588.htm

seamo
27th August 2006, 12:25 AM
I didn't even know there was a problem with this concept :confused:

It seems to make sense, particularly if the sites share the same context.

For example associatedcities.com (http://www.associatedcities.com)

All of the city sites within the network are interlinked here. The same extensive menu isn't displayed on the individual city sites, but only a handful.

Still, it would seem crazy to be penalised for this.

27th August 2006, 12:38 AM
The logic behind it is that a link=Recommandation...and if you recommand yourself it isnt worth much.

A good example for not excessive interlinking you can see on i.e birds .com

seamo
27th August 2006, 12:53 AM
The logic behind it is that a link=Recommandation...and if you recommand yourself it isnt worth much.

A good example for not excessive interlinking you can see on i.e birds .com
I understand now.

Well, I am very interested in an answer to this too, as my first website project will rely heavily on interlinking some 90+ IDN's.

What's from stopping me from interlinking all of my Florida Keys websites... the Boogeyman?

Yes - what reprocussions, if any, will there be?

BTW - I couldn't help notice our avatars look like brothers :)

27th August 2006, 01:19 AM
Seamo: Yes - what reprocussions, if any, will there be?

I dont want to give bad advise or not accurate that may cause possible future damage..i Dont think interlinking will get one banned or anything that extreme..but whats the diffrence of being banned or being on page number 13 on the serp's...pretty much the same.

IF Choosing to interlink...To prevent poor ranking due to interlinking IMO u should use several ip addresses,diffrent hosting facilities,i would maybe go to extent of diffrent whois info..

Sucks we have to "hide" behind it but i dont see 90 interlinked on same ip and hosting getting anywhere good.

On the other hand im not sure u want to interlink 90 new sites..assuming it was allowed etc...
you still wont benefit as the "recommandation" is coming from "newbie's" and why trust a non "established" recommandation etc...

P.S...you look very nice with that hat...lol

seamo
27th August 2006, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the advice there 261275.

I am a newbie to webmastering, and was not aware of the potential hazards of interlinking.

Perhaps a single site with all 90 sites linked (which would act as the gateway to the network), but all other sites within the network having only 4 or 5 interlinks? This might help to get all the sites indexed, but not overdo it and damage ranking?

In the end the processes of SERP positioning all sounds a bit mysterious...like no one really knows exactly how it works? Is it because we are trying to unravel Google's secret algorythms?

PS - I bought my hat from the same shop as you ;)

27th August 2006, 03:01 AM
Thanks for the advice there 261275.

I am a newbie to webmastering, and was not aware of the potential hazards of interlinking.

Perhaps a single site with all 90 sites linked (which would act as the gateway to the network), but all other sites within the network having only 4 or 5 interlinks? This might help to get all the sites indexed, but not overdo it and damage ranking?

In the end the processes of SERP positioning all sounds a bit mysterious...like no one really knows exactly how it works? Is it because we are trying to unravel Google's secret algorythms?

PS - I bought my hat from the same shop as you ;)

Exactly,No one knows...from not knowing how much is too much for interlinks up to not knowing the rev. share we get...for the reason you mentioned ....google will do all it can to keep it mysterious...gives them an obvious edge.

i THINK...if you present the links as a "directory" or your "network" its ok..but im not sure..if i get more info on this specifically i will post

On another note..do not be tempted to "throw" your site/s in all these free link farms/directories...worthless

(you can talk with danny sullivan for an hour on the tel...at todays rates..he charged 300 per hour 3yrs ago...lol..and even him im not sure KNOWS...but theres some good info on his site... searchenginewatch .com)

seamo
27th August 2006, 03:16 AM
Exactly,No one knows...from not knowing how much is too much for interlinks up to not knowing the rev. share we get...for the reason you mentioned ....google will do all it can to keep it mysterious...gives them an obvious edge.

It is very enlightening to hear you confirm this perception as accurate. Hence the development of 'Black Hat' SEO I guess? People trying to figure a way inside the Google SERP fortress?

i THINK...if you present the links as a "directory" or your "network" its ok..but im not sure..if i get more info on this specifically i will post

Thanks 261275 - I'd really appreciate anymore feedback on this :)

Rubber Duck
27th August 2006, 12:51 PM

Interesting you should say that. My thoughts have been very much straying in that direction.

mulligan
27th August 2006, 12:54 PM
If the same IP's are a problem then how many of us have their own hosting? And are willing to become part of the 'network?

27th August 2006, 01:08 PM
I cant give proof to it and i think no one can but it is seems definate that google has some sort of a link filter that acts like theyre infamous sand box...it will wait for some time prior to giving credit to newly added links...

so as for penalties...if discussing links from OTHER sites to ours...as long as our links are related to site's subject and u dont bomb your site with links from none to many in 1-2 days...but add with time thats fine and recommanded...

as for links WITHIN our own sites...if theyre presented in a form of a directory/network page it seems it is ok..no risk of penalties...no credit for them from the other hand..but purpose is partially served via higher end user visibility/exposure

If u have a big/serious project i would buy a link from a good pr7+ site..1from the right site is worth the investment imo..and it makes google move faster in some cases...but make sure it isnt just some link farm that will lose its pr im a couple days...and as related as possible

If the same IP's are a problem then how many of us have their own hosting? And are willing to become part of the 'network?

As for multiple sites hosted in same facility with same ip...
no way to bypass it...if u want to really hopefully enjoy the benefits of your domains...got to go and host in several locations..optimistically russian idn's in russia...japanese in japan etc...

(the "logic" behind it is that google is "saying"...how can one have 1000 GOOD..real end user value sites)

Edwin
27th August 2006, 01:47 PM
From what I've gathered on my web wanders, it looks like interlinking becomes "safer" in two directions...

#A: the more "powerful" a site is in its own right, the safer it is to interlink it with other powerful sites. In other words, it is safer to link together two PR7 sites than two PR6 sites, or two PR5 sites, etc. This basically means that each site is forced to stand on its own feet as a substantial destination in its own right.

#B: the more topically related two sites are, the safer it is to interlink them - so long as they both also have external non-network incoming links. So if you have two sites about cats (both of which have useful numbers of incoming links from sites outside your own network) then it's much more productive to link them than it would be to link a site about cats and a site about speedboats (for example).

Bottom line for both points above, however, is to make the interlinked sites stand on their own feet as destinations on their own merits, then use judicious "networking effects" to make them STRONGER STILL, rather than relying on those network effects to make the sites rank in the first place.

In other words, networking some of your sites together isn't a "silver bullet" to ranking well, but it can help if you put the right foundations in place first.