PDA

View Full Version : Vista in January?

Explorer
29th August 2006, 05:45 PM
Looks like Vista's on track for January release.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ay2ZXKGVWAWw

29th August 2006, 05:48 PM
Based on amazon also, theyre also selling it from $100 to $400 range...Jan 30 (oops...didnt c the article)

Explorer
29th August 2006, 05:58 PM
Based on amazon also, theyre also selling it from $100 to $400 range...Jan 30 (oops...didnt c the article)

Hard to believe, but M$ is on track so far for IE7 and Vista...

burnsinternet
29th August 2006, 07:41 PM
I've been using RC1 since it came out and *finally* had no bugs! I really like it!!

Rubber Duck
29th August 2006, 10:12 PM

Yes, but the OEM will be out much earlier than that. This is the boxed version packaged with all the paraphenalia, distributed through Stores World Wide.

I think you should pencil in the OEM for early October. Note they are say RC (which won't be a free distribution), is before end of September.

Actually, it looks at though Japan might be first with this!

http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08302006101346hc5.jpg
URL copied to Clipboard

domainguru
31st August 2006, 02:09 AM
Hard to believe, but M$ is on track so far for IE7 and Vista...

Yes, that is very hard to believe. Both are monumentally late, and I'm measuring "monumentally" in earth years. Vista was started in 2001. Not sure how you are defining "on track" :p

burnsinternet
31st August 2006, 02:22 AM
Yes, that is very hard to believe. Both are monumentally late, and I'm measuring "monumentally" in earth years. Vista was started in 2001. Not sure how you are defining "on track" :p

I don't think they are overpromising this time. IE7 RC1 and the betas have been good and on track. I foresee a good spring with PPC. One year from now, we will all know our ROI.

rhys
31st August 2006, 03:24 AM
I think we will see steady uptake, but for Japanese anyway expect a 2-3 year timeframe where the results will be coming in.

burnsinternet
31st August 2006, 05:00 AM
I agree, but some other languages are barrelling along as we speak. Russian has been good from the start and getting better every day.

Rubber Duck
31st August 2006, 08:23 AM
I agree, but some other languages are barrelling along as we speak. Russian has been good from the start and getting better every day.

I am finding Russian very slow in comparison at the moment. Japan is the key market.

alpha
31st August 2006, 08:26 AM
I vote Arabic. com or net; both are outperforming Japan by 5-1

burnsinternet
31st August 2006, 08:47 AM
As I wrote, we have all voted with our currency. Let's sit back and enjoy the show! I personally hope everyone wins!

alpha
31st August 2006, 08:57 AM

I still can't believe that they are missing all that Christmas trade by delivering it in January

Rubber Duck
31st August 2006, 08:58 AM
Everyone that has backed Asian Script IDN is a surefire winner, but as with all winnings, it will be largely in proportion to the stake and those that took early odds will have a distinct advantage.

burnsinternet
31st August 2006, 09:00 AM
Everyone that has backed Asian Script IDN is a surefire winner, but as with all winnings, it will be largely in proportion to the stake and those that took early odds will have a distinct advantage.

Yes, you are correct. We all stand to 'win' our share. I think we will all be happy.

Rubber Duck
31st August 2006, 09:01 AM
I still can't believe that they are missing all that Christmas trade by delivering it in January

Of course you are absolutely right, but there is no Christmas trade in Boxed Software, just a logistical nightmare in burning it and getting it to the shops. Vista will not be ready for Christmas, but they will release it anyway. That's what Auto Updates are all about!

alpha
31st August 2006, 09:04 AM
Of course you are absolutely right, but there is no Christmas trade in Boxed Software, just a logistical nightmare in burning it and getting it to the shops. Vista will not be ready for Christmas, but they will release it anyway. That's what Auto Updates are all about!

you're right, no there isn't in shrink-wrapped software, but there is in turn-key pc's preloaded with the latest O/S. this is what they are missing...

.. maybe Christmas shoppers will just buy a Playstation 3 instead :p

Rubber Duck
31st August 2006, 09:13 AM
you're right, no there isn't in shrink-wrapped software, but there is in turn-key pc's preloaded with the latest O/S. this is what they are missing...

Don't worry, they are close enough to ship the OEM very soon. The Pre RC was handed out in 100K copies. The only difference between this and RC1 is that there are no Auto Updates, because Microsoft is not giving the thing away. We can expect RC1 by Mid September. Full OEM release will be about Mid October. That gives enough time for Chinese Manufacturers of Dells to get them to the shops. Each phase of IE 7 has persistently been about 2 weeks ahead of Vista. I think it is a racing certainty now that we will have IE 7 before end September.

rhys
31st August 2006, 10:09 AM

Ooooh...bite your tongue Alpha....an Xbox 360 please instead of an overpriced PS3. :p And while your at it buy the MGS games please, those are the ones I work on!

Rubber Duck
31st August 2006, 10:13 AM
Ooooh...bite your tongue Alpha....an Xbox 360 please instead of an overpriced PS3. :p And while your at it buy the MGS games please, those are the ones I work on!

If M$ fail to come through with the goods, then you can forget brand loyalty, you will be lucky to have brand credibility. And besides, were do you think my Christmas budget is coming from? If Microsoft hold out on me, I won't be buying any games for the XBox.

alpha
31st August 2006, 10:23 AM
edit

Rubber Duck
31st August 2006, 10:26 AM
.....Consumer versions of Vista are not due for release until January next year.

Microsoft has said that business releases of the operating system should be available from November.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5297892.stm

rhys
31st August 2006, 10:37 AM
have you met Hideo Kojima?

Ha ha wrong MGS Alpha! Not Metal Gear Solid but Microsoft Game Studios. :p

If M$ fail to come through with the goods, then you can forget brand loyalty, you will be lucky to have brand credibility. And besides, were do you think my Christmas budget is coming from? If Microsoft hold out on me, I won't be buying any games for the XBox.

Rubber Duck, I never thought you were a gamer......or are you?

alpha
31st August 2006, 10:43 AM
Ha ha wrong MGS Alpha! Not Metal Gear Solid but Microsoft Game Studios. :p ...

I was just going to up your reputation..

.. you work for M$?, oh well it's better than being a career criminal (maybe ;) )

Rubber Duck
31st August 2006, 10:43 AM
Rubber Duck, I never thought you were a gamer......or are you?

No, but I have a son who started booting up the PC when we were still in bed at the age of three. Now when I am trying to share one of those intimate moments, all I can here is the constant crashing of the keyboard deep into the night, except when he is at his Mum's of course.

.. you work for M$?, oh well it's better than being a career criminal (maybe ;) )

In the US, which side of the law you are on has much more to with how many fancy lawyers you can employ than it does with morals or ethics! To be President, these days of course, a solid record of that nature would be seen as essential.

rhys
31st August 2006, 11:29 AM

Well...I don't hide it. Besides, I wouldn't be in IDNs if it hadn't been for a job related trip I took last year. M$ is a lawyer run corporate matrix. It treats me pretty well and the folks are smart and amiable. Maybe they don't work hard enough for RubberDuck's liking though...

Rubber Duck
31st August 2006, 11:43 AM
Well...I don't hide it. Besides, I wouldn't be in IDNs if it hadn't been for a job related trip I took last year. M$ is a lawyer run corporate matrix. It treats me pretty well and the folks are smart and amiable. Maybe they don't work hard enough for RubberDuck's liking though...

It alright, you can all relax in the Games Dept. The harder you lot work, the more it costs me!