PDA

View Full Version : MSoft is advertising Chinese idns

markits
31st August 2006, 01:05 AM
http://msnbanner.allyes.com/msnms/20060823/Hotmail_China_Column_728x90_20k.swf

The above is an ad run by Microsoft in China.

I own two of the five rotating domains (new reg).

burnsinternet
31st August 2006, 01:12 AM
Can someone translate it for me, please? Where did you see the ad? MSN?

Rubber Duck
31st August 2006, 01:18 AM

Another sign that Vista is imminent. Vista will be the first M$ product to support IDN email in any shape or form.

rhys
31st August 2006, 01:18 AM
It looks like they are advertising our Live Custom Domains product in China. Very cool. This is a product I worked on for a while last year.

burnsinternet
31st August 2006, 02:24 AM
Was this found by accident? Any other languages?

Drewbert
31st August 2006, 02:38 AM
Do IDN's work with email?

thegenius1
31st August 2006, 02:53 AM
This is a product I worked on for a while last year.

So this is one of youre projects ? can you elaborate what else you have worked on for the IDN world ?

As far as i know you need some sort of plug in , but i assume with Vista it will be a green light

blastfromthepast
31st August 2006, 03:15 AM

That is amazing that they would use your domain or use a domain that was free! Congratulations!

rhys
31st August 2006, 03:22 AM
So this is one of youre projects ? can you elaborate what else you have worked on for the IDN world ?

As far as i know you need some sort of plug in , but i assume with Vista it will be a green light

Remember I used to work for MSN, now called Windows Live. What I do wasn't about IDNs per se, but around communication products like Hotmail (which this is) and Spaces and Messenger and OneCare.

burnsinternet
31st August 2006, 04:57 AM

I used them all the time when I had the Verisign plugin. I just uninstalled that the other day and installed IE7 RC1.

On your server, you just use the punycode domain with your email address. Name@punycode.com (Name@punycode.com) is how I did it before I parked everything. It still works in Outlook 2k3 on XP Pro. Not sure about any other programs or OS.

touchring
31st August 2006, 05:16 AM

This is great news. Looks like they are trying to take the credit for having "invented" idns. Good for us as well!

Rubber Duck
31st August 2006, 08:21 AM

Yes, but the Verisign plug in works with Outlook, but not Outlook Express. As far as the email system is concerned IDN are just normal domains. The Email Client, however, needs to encode to Puny and to translate it back on receipt.

Drewbert
31st August 2006, 06:20 PM
I used them all the time when I had the Verisign plugin. I just uninstalled that the other day and installed IE7 RC1.

On your server, you just use the punycode domain with your email address. Name@punycode.com (Name@punycode.com) is how I did it before I parked everything. It still works in Outlook 2k3 on XP Pro. Not sure about any other programs or OS.

Read: "No".

burnsinternet
31st August 2006, 08:14 PM
I thought your precious Macs could do everything? :p

Rubber Duck
31st August 2006, 08:18 PM
Try Thunderbird. I am pretty sure that works. If anyone has an active IDN email address, I will be more than happy to send or confirm receipt.

mulligan
31st August 2006, 08:23 PM
I am using one with Dreamhost, though it is as blahblah@xn--qwertyqwerty.com

Drewbert
31st August 2006, 08:46 PM
As RD said, it's a function of mail client software compatibility.

It's going to take a long time. Much longer than just waiting for IE7 I think.

Rubber Duck
31st August 2006, 09:56 PM
As RD said, it's a function of mail client software compatibility.

It's going to take a long time. Much longer than just waiting for IE7 I think.

Vista and Office Vista will handle it. But the problem is that half the world will still be on 2k with Outlook Express. They will receive you mail OK, but they will only ever see the Punycode.