PDA

View Full Version : Possible to check OVT w/ extension?

shakeandbake
2nd September 2006, 03:15 AM
It seems when I try to check a term on OVT with its ccTLD extension, OVT wants to convert some letters in the term into % stuff and not show me a result. Instead I get "latinized" results with nothing highlighted. Usually the term will be in the results in its "latinized" form, but this does not show much how many people are searching for the original IDN.ccTLD term.

thefabfive
2nd September 2006, 03:26 AM
Can you give us a litte more info? Are you searching US Ovt or a country specific Ovt? By "latinized" do you mean that accents disappear? Country specific Ovt usually removes accents and from latin letters. However, US Ovt does not so try checking there.

For example, when searching "nutrición" on ES Ovt (Spain) the results come back for "nutricion" (without the accent on the o). This doesn't mean that "nutrición" is not searched, this is just how these Ovt tools work. But when checking "nutrición" on US Ovt the results come back specifically for "nutrición" (with the accent on the o).

Also, check Google trends for both versions, with and without accents. That will give you an idea of the distribution of searches between both forms.

shakeandbake
2nd September 2006, 06:58 PM
Here's more detail: Using the German OVT tool, I want to look up data on .de domain searches. Like for example let's say I want to see how many searches there were for Nürnberg.de, but the results come back as showing searches for Nuernberg.de and this result isn't highlighted like usual in the results. I think this is showing me just searches for Nuernberg.de, but are you saying this number also includes searches for Nürnberg.de ?

touchring
2nd September 2006, 07:02 PM
Yes, it shows the combined.

Rubber Duck
2nd September 2006, 07:49 PM
You might try putting both terms into Google Trends to evaluate how many are using the ASCII Typo compared with the genuine authentic IDN version.

touchring
2nd September 2006, 08:00 PM
You might try putting both terms into Google Trends to evaluate how many are using the ASCII Typo compared with the genuine authentic IDN version.

Might not be a linear relationship as people know that domains can't support umlops.

Drewbert
2nd September 2006, 08:20 PM
OV's spell correction is a PITA.

type in "home plans" and they "correct" it to "house plans". Grrrr.

shakeandbake
3rd September 2006, 06:25 PM
Ok, so just to be clear, is there a consensus that OVT in cases like this is showing the number of combined searches for both ways of spelling the search term?