PDA

View Full Version : IDN Plug-in

Rubber Duck
7th October 2005, 03:49 PM
I have been frankly baffled by the lack of traffic on our IDN domains.

I wouldn't expect much yet on Arabic and Hindi, but had really hoped for more from China and Japan.

I suppose I realized that China had some downloaded plug-in that related only to dot CN. What I hadn't understood is the dot JP registry JPRS has done something similar.

This probably explains the problem. If users have downloaded this plug-in that does not support gTLDs then Japanese users would probably come to the conclusion that whilst dot JP are functional as IDNs the gTLDs are not. It would seem unlikely that they woudl then seek to download the alternative plug-in from Verisign, which would almost certainly clash with the software that they have already installed.

The big question is therefore, is there traffic on dot JP and dot CN IDNs at this time, because there very well might be? Can it be confirmed whether the JPRS plug-in supports gTLD IDN or not?

I guess it is unlikely that any members of the forum have registered dot JP IDN and even more unlikely that they have dot CN IDN, but if any of you do, could you tell whether there is traffic on those extensions?

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

gammascalper
7th October 2005, 05:58 PM
This is a bit worrying. I've also wondered why the chinese/jap IDNs with enormous ovt get no traffic at all.

Olney could probably chime in on this...

Hopefully the roll-out of IE7 will level the playing field for the gTLD

Rubber Duck
7th October 2005, 07:52 PM
Yes, not to worry IE 7.0 will blow away the problem. I think!

It is of little concern to us that dot JP is picking up traffic, the annoyance is that we are not.

Yes, Olney! Any news from Japan?

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

IDNer
8th October 2005, 05:26 AM
Yes, not to worry IE 7.0 will blow away the problem. I think!

It is of little concern to us that dot JP is picking up traffic, the annoyance is that we are not.

Yes, Olney! Any news from Japan?

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Any place could get the information and/or news about the IE7.0 ?

Rubber Duck
8th October 2005, 09:37 AM
I have been looking, not much out there but I understand that Beta 2 has been Hacking test:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/09/29/HNhackerfeedback_1.html

This must mean that Beta 2 release cannot be too far away.

I think we are looking at the New Year for full release, but Microsoft are keeping their card tight to their chest on this one.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

sdsinc
14th October 2005, 04:11 PM
Perhaps a little off-topic but I use Opera and URLs in native characters are fine.
With Netscape 7.2 it works too
With Firefox too although it converts the URL to xn-- form

So we can only hope that more and more people will be using alternate browsers :D