PDA

View Full Version : From Russia with Love

Rubber Duck
4th September 2006, 10:32 AM
The Bear awakes from its hibernation. Spot the Mega Clicks. OK, not quite up to Japanese standards but good nonetheless.

http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=09042006112840xl9.jpg
URL copied to Clipboard

Few more of these and the Russian market will start to take off I think!

strah
4th September 2006, 12:38 PM
All these domains are indexed by Google so it is not a real parameter of development Russian idn and typo. These figures only show that if to make any page in Russian and indexed it in google - it will bring some cents.

bwhhisc
4th September 2006, 01:26 PM
Hello Russia!
September 1-4 average Russian PPC up to .33, nice to see some some higher paying clicks!
Folder Totals US $ 4.35 253 13 % 5.14 US$ 0.33 US$ 17.19

Rubber Duck
4th September 2006, 01:47 PM
All these domains are indexed by Google so it is not a real parameter of development Russian idn and typo. These figures only show that if to make any page in Russian and indexed it in google - it will bring some cents.

What it actually shows is that there is now serious PPC rates for Adverts in Russia, as at least you seem to accept. If somebody is prepared to pay for the traffic, it means it is worth a least sometime trying to harness it and convert it. It would seem that I am not the only seeing this. Russia has been producing a reasonable amount of Type In for sometime, even before anyone indexed or got SERP on parking pages. If more traffic is coming from that source then it is a bonus. Now we are seeing serious rates for conversion of traffic. That makes the Russian Market viable and will increase sellers expectations in regards to prices. Buyers will also be more inclined to accept prices asked.

But yes, Strah, the glass is still half empty if you wish to interpret things that way.

alpha
4th September 2006, 02:54 PM
...But yes, Strah, the glass is still half empty if you wish to interpret things that way.

Some see the glass as half-empty, some see the glass as half-full. I see the glass as too big.

Explorer
4th September 2006, 03:39 PM
What it actually shows is that there is now serious PPC rates for Adverts in Russia, as at least you seem to accept. If somebody is prepared to pay for the traffic, it means it is worth a least sometime trying to harness it and convert it. It would seem that I am not the only seeing this. Russia has been producing a reasonable amount of Type In for sometime, even before anyone indexed or got SERP on parking pages. If more traffic is coming from that source then it is a bonus. Now we are seeing serious rates for conversion of traffic. That makes the Russian Market viable and will increase sellers expectations in regards to prices. Buyers will also be more inclined to accept prices asked.

True.

If an internet shop based in Japan selling Ipods and, for example, is paying $2 per visitor to Google, you coud expect that similar internet shop in Russia (or anywhere else for that matter) to eventually be paying somewhat less, of course, but not 50-100 times less for a visitor. The shops have the same exact simple business model.

It took some time for the european countries to catch up, but if we compare pricing for hotels, consumer products, certain services, etc, we'll find that pricing is somewhat similar to the one in US. That wasn't the case 5 years ago.

Given the fact that Google just opened in Russia this year, the keyword pricing there has nowhere to go but up and has a lot of catching up to do.

Rubber Duck
4th September 2006, 04:38 PM
This is an interesting site for those that are not convinced by Russian IDN.

http://www.zagryzka.com/

Do you think they are developing it to sell to me?

Explorer
4th September 2006, 05:03 PM
This is an interesting site for those that are not convinced by Russian IDN.

http://www.zagryzka.com/

Do you think they are developing it to sell to me?

I don't think there is going to be any selling involved. It's more like they are working for you. For free.

Another way to think about it - they have a typo, you have the real thing.

Rubber Duck
4th September 2006, 05:07 PM
Scary business logic. Wonder nobody thought of it before.:p

4th September 2006, 05:21 PM
sorry to go back there but im trying to find a solution to what is imo the main and pretty much only problem with russian idn's at the moment

COM сом one written in english...1 in russian...even though in russian it is supposed to be ком i can still see confusion and us losing visitors due to this.

any suggestions of how to diffrinciate the 2?

also, to make sure i got that part...if dname is implemented..will be great (to say the least) and we got 100% cyrillic or hebrew or japanese etc...
IF the other option is chosen...whats gonna happan with our domains? they will remain untouched or?

Thanks,
Michael

Explorer
4th September 2006, 05:29 PM
sorry to go back there but im trying to find a solution to what is imo the main and pretty much only problem with russian idn's at the moment

COM сом one written in english...1 in russian...even though in russian it is supposed to be ком i can still see confusion and us losing visitors due to this.

any suggestions of how to diffrinciate the 2?

also, to make sure i got that part...if dname is implemented..will be great (to say the least) and we got 100% cyrillic or hebrew or japanese etc...
IF the other option is chosen...whats gonna happan with our domains? they will remain untouched or?

Thanks,
Michael

I think you are assuming that 2 solutions are mutually exclusive. They are not.

Rubber Duck
4th September 2006, 05:32 PM
Searching using the cyrillic root and the latin extension for my domains throws up loads of references that have nothing to do with me. It wouild seem that the Russian are perfectly relaxed about using the mixed script combination. For some reason, whilst they develop and promote them, few have seen the need to actually register them. I am sure they will also happily convert to the cyrillic version when they are available, but it won't matter if they don't.

What has clearly happened is that get the domain they want, transliterate the root into ASCII and they are away. Anyone can type in their domains by switching keyboard to latin and spelling the domains from the keyboard markings. Useful enough fudge on the face of things, but nothing like the power of IDN. However, the mixed script domain is now firmly rooted in the Russian psyche.

I think you are assuming that 2 solutions are mutually exclusive. They are not.

NS is at best only a partial solution that will be restricted to ccTLDs.

From the Verisign Report, it is quite clear that are winding up to throw some serious publicity behind this. If it comes down to an advertising war, there can only be one winner.

4th September 2006, 05:50 PM
RD, Thinking of it from this perspective you have a point..as i think russian is the language you will find this character "mix" most...by far.
which maybe if thats the case the ones that need to worry more are the current ascii domain owners as they have more then parking revenue to lose in most cases = they need the idn's to secure they're established sites arent losing visitors + all other idn advantages we know of.

Explorer, i understand it is possible both options will be excecuted...and as we have no control (or do we?) over icann's decision...as long as i would know they dont choose to "ignore" our idn's and only impliment changes towards whatever new cctld they go with etc...it would be comforting.

Ms. Tina Dam, if you can see this...give us DNAME. Thanks! :)

bwhhisc
4th September 2006, 07:37 PM

I think worldwide computer users have been typing in ".com" and ".net" extensions since beginnings of the internet so they are very used to using those extensions. Adding their native script will just make it that much easier and pleasurable to surf the internet.

burnsinternet
4th September 2006, 09:30 PM
I am getting enough type in traffic to believe that the .com is not a big deal.

yanni
7th September 2006, 10:22 AM
Spot the Mega Clicks. OK, not quite up to Japanese standards but good nonetheless.

Few more of these and the Russian market will start to take off I think!

Yup, I think we're slowly getting there.

Just had a couple of $2.00+ clicks and a few 0.40 and 0.50 ones.